Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

DL/AA: Europe/USA-GRU $479 ai, 14k-18k mi

Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by ddjen11
i was thinking about doing a run at GRU on 07'/04 when I saw J was only $1999. but unsure of the visa situations. did not know that it might be caught like that by the airlines.
They verify that everybody has a Visa. They check your passport for the Visa as your board.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by rrapynot
Why do people always jump on the visa thing with Brazil? Most of the world doesn't need one. You don't get people reminding everyone about visas on every single fare to China.
American flyers are really touchy about the visa situation in Brazil, because they view it as retaliatory.

And it is.

But it is retaliatory because the US government imposes ridiculously onerous restriction on flyers to South America who transit through the US. (For ex-Asia flights, this is just about the only practical way, unless you can snag a deal through Africa or Australia, or take a 48 hour flight through CDG/FRA/etc.).

So yes, it sucks, call your congressman.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:15 pm

Why do people always jump on the visa thing with Brazil? Most of the world doesn't need one. You don't get people reminding everyone about visas on every single fare to China.
so are you saying going there and just hanging around the gate area without visa is goona be ok? if so i'd like to do it for status resaon.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, AAdvantage, MileagePlus
My guess is that it would be very difficult to be successful boarding a flight that has Brazil as your final destination without a valid visa. If you had a layover there, no issue. But if Brazil is the last stop on the itinerary they probably won't let you board the plane with just a "Don't worry, I'm just gonna hang around in the terminal." line.

Brazil's visa policy is based 100% on reciprocity. They will only require what the other country requires of Brazilians. Last year (or the end of '13, I can't remember) Mexico dropped visa requirements for Brazilians whose trips were tourist in nature. Brazil immediately dropped those same requirements for Mexicans wanting to visit Brazil. When the US changes their policy towards Brazilian tourists, Brazil will follow suit rather quickly.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ddjen11
so are you saying going there and just hanging around the gate area without visa is goona be ok? if so i'd like to do it for status resaon.
I believe the point being made is that most countries (except the USA) do not have visa issues with Brazil. You need to check the requirements for the country that issued your passport.

If you are asking, "As a US citizen, can I just stay in the Brazilian airport and fly back to my origin on the same day without getting a Brazilian visa?" I would guess the answer is no. But that's just a guess based on other countries' policies.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
It could also be due to the 72h visa-free transit in over a dozen Chinese airports
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM, Marriott P
Originally Posted by janetdoe
I believe the point being made is that most countries (except the USA) do not have visa issues with Brazil. You need to check the requirements for the country that issued your passport.

If you are asking, "As a US citizen, can I just stay in the Brazilian airport and fly back to my origin on the same day without getting a Brazilian visa?" I would guess the answer is no. But that's just a guess based on other countries' policies.
A US citizen going to Brazil requires a Brazilian Visa....no exception....no opportunity to just stay in the airport etc. If you're a dual citizen then that's a different story. The US passport Brazilian Visa is excessive but it is based on the excessive charges that the US has toward Brazilians.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by BumpedAgain
A US citizen going to Brazil requires a Brazilian Visa....no exception....no opportunity to just stay in the airport etc. If you're a dual citizen then that's a different story. The US passport Brazilian Visa is excessive but it is based on the excessive charges that the US has toward Brazilians.
I'm guessing (hence your definitive post) that this has changed, but in August 2006 (I know, a long while ago), I did just this...what turned out to be a paper ticket from the USA to GRU and then onto Bolivia. At the time, there was a US$100 (I believe) visa fee for Brasil. My wife and I didn't get one. On transit in GRU, it wasn't much fun, but staying in the crummy RCC in GRU and doing literally the only walk in the airport behind the security/immigration like 50 times, was boring as hell, but we got around the fee and definitely didn't need the visa.

It's one reason why I haven't been back to S. America, because I'd transit Brasil/Argentina, but if I need a visa to get onboard, there are far too many places [as a US citizen] to visit that don't need a visa, so this area has just been crossed off entirely (luckily, I'm considering Chile now that I can get there without a visa)...

-jeremy
Old Jul 11, 2015, 2:36 am
formerly DustyFoot
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by kmfdm91
I'm guessing (hence your definitive post) that this has changed, but in August 2006 (I know, a long while ago), I did just this...what turned out to be a paper ticket from the USA to GRU and then onto Bolivia. At the time, there was a US$100 (I believe) visa fee for Brasil. My wife and I didn't get one. On transit in GRU, it wasn't much fun, but staying in the crummy RCC in GRU and doing literally the only walk in the airport behind the security/immigration like 50 times, was boring as hell, but we got around the fee and definitely didn't need the visa.

It's one reason why I haven't been back to S. America, because I'd transit Brasil/Argentina, but if I need a visa to get onboard, there are far too many places [as a US citizen] to visit that don't need a visa, so this area has just been crossed off entirely (luckily, I'm considering Chile now that I can get there without a visa)...

-jeremy
Really? Wow... Brazil is amazing, worth a visa (if you can afford it, but if you can't maybe just stay home?).
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:01 am

Thanks for reminding me. I have an appointment with the Brazilian Consulate on Thursday.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: none (crazy!)
Originally Posted by LoansumTraveler
Brazil's visa policy is based 100% on reciprocity. They will only require what the other country requires of Brazilians.
That is not 100% true. More like 90%. Brazilians can go to Haiti without a Visa, but Haitians need a Visa to go to Brazil because the Brazilian government (rightly) fears that Haitians would just try to overstay and work illegally.
Brazil will not hesitate to apply a visa policy for economic considerations!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.