Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

DL: JFK -> SVO $379 rt

Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Flight is available for much of March and April, viewable on google flights. Looks like KLM is dropping fares as well.

Sample fare:

April 9th:
4:00 pm – 8:50 am+1
New York (JFK) – Moscow (SVO)
Delta 466 · Economy class · Boeing 767

Thu, Apr 16:
10:35 am – 2:00 pm
Moscow (SVO) – New York (JFK)
Delta 467 · Economy class · Boeing 767

Total: $378.66

Edit: Some of the Delta hubs are also dropping prices, though not as drastically.
ORD->SVO: $591 (not many dates, though)
MSP->SVO: $624
ATL->SVO: $634
CVG->SVO: $654

Last edited by tipsytraveler; Mar 8, 2015 at 8:08 pm Reason: more flights found
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Why is it always so cheap to fly to Moscow???
Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Not much demand, and average travellers regardless of their citizenships need a Russian visa (everything but hassle-free).

Personally I've been there once and I have no intention to go back anytime there even if I see $300 RT from the west coast
Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by redadeco
Not much demand, and average travellers regardless of their citizenships need a Russian visa (everything but hassle-free).

Personally I've been there once and I have no intention to go back anytime there even if I see $300 RT from the west coast
Russia has her pros and cons just like every other country. Agreed that the visa process is a hassle but there are plenty of beautiful things to see there.

Definitely would not suggest going during winter/early spring as the weather is a bit nippy. Although this year, it was colder in NY than in Moscow.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Ruble crashing, economy likely about to crash, as mentioned you need a visa to go to russia, so the pool of people to sell to is low. I'd be all over this like a cheap suit if a good ex-IAH fare popped up and I had free vacation time. I'd love to visit Russia, particularly while their currency is "challenged."
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'd love to visit Russia, particularly while their currency is "challenged."
That's how I felt as well; it's a great time to plan a trip!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:19 pm

Given the geopolitical environment, I suspect some of the more marginal routes from the US to Russia will be suspended soon.

See, i.e., http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...a8d_story.html
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: TK Elite+, OZ Diamond, CX Silver
If they don't like us very much, then I guess I'll just spend my dollars elsewhere and Russians can keep the rubles for themselves.

Btw, what's the load on flights to and from Russia recently? All these fare sales created the impression that these planes have been flying close to empty.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:17 am

Why are airlines not cancelling flights instead? Seems like Delta routinely cancels flights and reroutes existing itineraries already.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Not sure on TATL, but flew a few domestic routes from/to both SVO and DME in the past 30 days and all were 90-100% full. Domestic traffic seems to be doing fine. TXL-DME was full, SVO to FCO was about 60%.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Lots of premium traffic on these routes (not sure if last year made a big impact on this, my last two UN MOW-NYC flights in business were almost full) so airlines make deep discounts on the cheapest economy fares rather than cancel flights.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mrkenneth
Why are airlines not cancelling flights instead? Seems like Delta routinely cancels flights and reroutes existing itineraries already.
DL has some weeks in the spring where they are scheduled right now to only fly 4x a week while they are scheduled 7x a week during the rest of the year. DL has surrendered ATL to SVO but to see them pull down JFK to SVO, a stalwart since taking it from Pan Am way back when, shows me they are having some challenges filling seats for sure.

It's great for me and mine for sure. I do wish the front of the plane were coming open for cheaper fares...
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyjones4652
Russia has her pros and cons just like every other country. Agreed that the visa process is a hassle but there are plenty of beautiful things to see there.

Definitely would not suggest going during winter/early spring as the weather is a bit nippy. Although this year, it was colder in NY than in Moscow.
Booked this flight back in January to Moscow. I live in Upstate NY.

I also booked a deal to Copenhagen in February. I went to Oslo for a few days, where it was 46 degrees F. It was -36F when I left...

It's all relative. I wanted to run around in shorts.

I'll be in Moscow 3/28-4/6.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:01 pm

I think the visa costs $250 for US citizens.

And you need to book through a tour operator. They also get you a visa for a fee.

And it's pretty expensive to do that even with the low rouble.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I think the visa costs $250 for US citizens.

And you need to book through a tour operator. They also get you a visa for a fee.

And it's pretty expensive to do that even with the low rouble.
Russian visa is $160 (money order or cashier's check directly to Russian consulate), and you'll need an invitation letter you can buy for ~$25 online.

Of course, if you want less hassle, you'll do it through a tour operator for more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.