AA:LAX-DFW-HKG-CGK-HKG-DFW-LAX $627.80/2.9 cpm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA:LAX-DFW-HKG-CGK-HKG-DFW-LAX $627.80/2.9 cpm

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG
I also got in on this one...$776 for LAX-ORD-DFW-NRT-SIN...CGK-NRT-DFW-IAD-LAX. Should be a good use of 2 eVIPs.

Got a ticket on TigerAir for $50 to connect SIN-CGK, will spend part of a day in SIN.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flycal312
I also got in on this one...$776 for LAX-ORD-DFW-NRT-SIN...CGK-NRT-DFW-IAD-LAX.
Very good fare. What dates?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Sorry if I am missing something obvious (have been focusing on other MRs), but why OJ? Can't you just buy a straight return fare?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
The OJ makes the fare lower.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
The connection on it renders the OJ savings substantially moot though. Saving ~$20-$50 for the hassle involved isn't worth it, IMO. But, each to their own.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I booked the OJ using miles on another airline...saved a bundle. I'll have a quick layover in BKK but I'm looking forward to seeing each place, albeit quickly. From my research it looks like no special arrival visa needed for BKK - will stay flightside CGK and avoid any issues (looks like transit visa has no cost at first glance?).

Now I'm on the hunt for any available SWU's from friends/colleagues who can spare one...
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA, HH
Originally Posted by bakster21
I booked the OJ using miles on another airline...saved a bundle. I'll have a quick layover in BKK but I'm looking forward to seeing each place, albeit quickly. From my research it looks like no special arrival visa needed for BKK - will stay flightside CGK and avoid any issues (looks like transit visa has no cost at first glance?).

Now I'm on the hunt for any available SWU's from friends/colleagues who can spare one...
No special arrival visa for BKK, just VOA and you are good. BKK is a quick and easy arrival. Sometimes it is a looooong walk from the gate to airside but such is life
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Great to hear - looking forward to the journey! Anyone else taking similar segments on those days?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA, HH
Today AA started a double miles promo for Asia, so go and register before your flights. Good until 20 March.
code - ASIA3
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by itchief
Today AA started a double miles promo for Asia, so go and register before your flights. Good until 20 March.
code - ASIA3
1st - Double RDM only, not Double EQM

2nd - Look closely, its not applicable on all fare codes.

For US/Canada to Tokyo/Korea/Hong Kong:
Offer applies only to AAdvantage members who purchase and fly on purchased, published First Class or Business Class fares booked in F, A, P, J, R, D or I; Economy Class fares booked in Y,B,H,K,M,L,V or S on American Airlines operated flights
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:18 am
Suspended

Using those classes that pushes the fare up to US$1145 for an S fare for most of March from a lot of places. eg. From STL (STL/DFW/HGK/CGK/NRT/DFW/STL) with PLT and the promotion that's ~65000 points, plus the year long bonuses AA is running.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Has anyone had problems booking these fares through American? I used ITA to find an LAX-DFW-NRT-SIN CGK-NRT-LAX itinerary. When I called AA to price it out, the agent was able to get the same fare I found on ITA but was said the CGK-NRT segment on JL was not bookable.

The ITA site suggests providing the exact booking and fare codes to the airline. When I mentioned this to the AA agent, she had no idea what I was talking about. So we pieced together the itinerary flight by flight. Is this the best way to do this when calling AA?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Jim_F
...So we pieced together the itinerary flight by flight. Is this the best way to do this when calling AA?
Absolutely. Once or when I have dealt with a local TA, I just give him a printout from ITA. However, that won't work with phone agents. When talking to AA, I don't even mention ITA/EF etc---what's the point?---but begin by telling them I am trying to book a "complex" itinerary which I can't manage online and need their expertise. Then I just feed them the info flight by flight.

However, you have to be soft about it. I proceed somewhat like this-

"Me: First flight, O'Hare to London Heathrow on Sep 19.* (Now pause.)

Agent: I see many options. Do you want to fly in the morning or evening?

Me: Evening. Don't you have a flight around 6 PM? That would be perfect.

Agent: Yes we have that."

*Most normal people don't think in terms of flight #s but departure times. Agents are used to communicating that way. You'll do yourself a favor if you set your FT expertise aside and communicate the way they are used to.

Then the flight #2. And so on.

If an airport is not well-known, you should spell out the code. They know New Delhi in India, but most probably not Lucknow, so I'd tell them LKO---L as in Larry, K as in Kansas, O as in Orange. (I prefer common names and words, but you can use use Nato alphabet if you like: Lima, Kilo, Oscar.)

That's it. If you have been careful, the itinerary should price out to what ITA said. Put it on a 24 hour hold if you can and check out the accuracy of all information at AA.com, from flight destinations, times (especially the AM/PM mess), to your own name and dob. It is easy for anyone to mis-speak, misunderstand, and mistype.

Last edited by aktchi; Feb 1, 2015 at 1:00 am
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jim_F
Has anyone had problems booking these fares through American?
[...]
Is this the best way to do this when calling AA?
IMO the best way is to simply book it on Orbitz or Hipmunk or the like. Worst case scenario you call Orbitz and read out/email the fare basis code to the agent on the phone and they do it on the spot.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:58 am

Might be a dumb question, but this is my first MR.

Is it possible to stop over in all the cities on an itinerary? Sort of like a way to get a cheaper round the world ticket?

For example fly LAX-DFW-HKG, stay in HKG for 7 nights, then fly HKG-CGK, stay in CGK for 7 nights, then fly CGK-HKG-DFW, stay in DFW 7 nights etc.

If so how would you go about booking that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.