FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   UA: NYC-MNL -- $899; 20,247 miles; 4.4 CPM (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/1616605-ua-nyc-mnl-899-20-247-miles-4-4-cpm.html)

anandrag Sep 29, 2014 11:45 am

UA: NYC-MNL -- $899; 20,247 miles; 4.4 CPM

Found interesting MR to Manila on UA for late Oct. Has overnight in Guam but I have an expiring Hyatt certificate and Hyatt Regency is Cat 4 so that works. Then have 14 day time hours in MNL (9 am - 11 am).

Anyone done this? Anyone done overnight in Guam on a run? Any advice? Are there cheap day hotels in MNL to drop off bags and refresh? Any visa issues going in and out on same day?

Update 10/1: Was able to be little more creative in routing and get it to 21,812 miles for $897 at 4.11 CPM

Boogie711 Sep 29, 2014 12:39 pm

There are lots of cheap-ish hotels around the Manila airport where you can shower/nap/refresh, but be advised, you get what you pay for. Manila has some nice places and some... well... grittier sections. Just on your own, I'd consider doing exactly that... Manila isn't internationally renowned for it's tourism potential.

You can't stay at the airport. I believe you get funnelled into a customs area, and then out to the street... and you can't check in at the airport until 3 hours before your flight. Security will simply not let you in the building.

No overnight experience in Guam, sorry.

pointy Sep 30, 2014 5:11 am

Stay at the Hyatt

That would be my advice even if you didn't have the certificate

JohnnyColombia Sep 30, 2014 5:49 am

I overnighted in Guam on a frivolous UA ticket which included MNL-GUM-NRT

It is full of strip malls which are in turn, quite literally full of strippers. I stayed at the Hilton and was disappointed. If you have a way of not wasting any money on the island and staying at the Hyatt for free then I'd do that.

Manila is a wonderful city and hotels there are surprisingly cheap, stay somewhere near the crossroads of Ayala and Makati Ave and you cannot go wrong. The slightly jaded Mandarin Oriental is cheap as chips and in a cool area opposite Ayala Triangle Park.

Mr. Roboto Sep 30, 2014 7:54 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia (Post 23603128)
Manila is a wonderful city and hotels there are surprisingly cheap, stay somewhere near the crossroads of Ayala and Makati Ave and you cannot go wrong. The slightly jaded Mandarin Oriental is cheap as chips and in a cool area opposite Ayala Triangle Park.

The Mandarin Oriental closed its doors at 14:00 on Tuesday, September 9th after 38 years in operation. A new Mandarin Oriental is set to open in 2020 in a different location.

Other hotels in the area are the Peninsula, Makati Shangri-La, and the Fairmont Makati (my favorite). Another block further would be the InterContinental Manila and the Dusit Thani Manila.

JohnnyColombia Sep 30, 2014 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto (Post 23603601)
The Mandarin Oriental closed its doors at 14:00 on Tuesday, September 9th after 38 years in operation. A new Mandarin Oriental is set to open in 2020 in a different location.

Other hotels in the area are the Peninsula, Makati Shangri-La, and the Fairmont Makati (my favorite). Another block further would be the InterContinental Manila and the Dusit Thani Manila.

Ah well, given I already conceded it was jaded I cannot say that's a shame. What are they doing with the building that it was in?

upupandaway23 Sep 30, 2014 8:53 am

GUM UC & MNL hotels

I'm doing a similar MR in two weeks from ORD, but don't get into GUM until after midnight. I noticed the UC opens at 3am, so figured I'd just hang out there until my morning flight to MNL.

Any suggestions for hotels in MNL. I have about 30 hours there to recover from 37 hours on the road.

anandrag Sep 30, 2014 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto (Post 23603601)

Can't seem to find any Starwood, Hyatt, Hilton, or Carlson properties. Not there? Just Marriott and above mentioned chains?

JohnnyColombia Sep 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by anandrag (Post 23605330)
Can't seem to find any Starwood, Hyatt, Hilton, or Carlson properties. Not there? Just Marriott and above mentioned chains?

There are a couple of Best Western properties :)

Palal Sep 30, 2014 3:58 pm

7 day minimum

EDIT: No minimum stay from NYC, 7-day min stay from BOS.

anandrag Sep 30, 2014 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 23606049)
7 day minimum

What is?

vandrei Sep 30, 2014 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Boogie711 (Post 23599479)
Manila isn't internationally renowned for it's tourism potential.

That's what Boracay is for.

:p

Palal Sep 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by anandrag (Post 23606061)
What is?

corrected my post above.

nhe Sep 30, 2014 5:12 pm

guam is a beautiful island

guam is a beautiful island and is used as a main hub for UA for many of the outer island flights. many travelers to palau, truk, etc pass through guam and overnight or spend a few days on the island. the hyatt on guam is very nice - the hilton needs updating. like the other poster mentioned, yes, there are bars, clubs, and strip clubs in tumon (where the main hotels are) but those strip clubs in tumon can also be easily avoided as there are many family restaurants and local bars in the area as well. also, if you see more than just the few mile road running through tumon, you will see the island is not "full of strip malls and strippers" (most of the strippers are actually Americans who come from the mainland USA)

trigleek Sep 30, 2014 5:29 pm

There is a Marriott right next to NAIA Terminal 3. Not sure of the costs but I'd say it would be less than $150.

There used to be a Westin but it is now a Sofitel.

That is a really really cheap fare!