Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

UA: Ewr-iah-pos $300 (3.7cpm)

UA: Ewr-iah-pos $300 (3.7cpm)

Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by JustTravel
has anyone done this recently? Any experience with customs? I have never done a MR with such a tight turnaround before.
As miasmal explained, the turn through customs to security and back to the gates is really quick and easy. I actually think you guys on the 'immediate' turns had it easier with customs than me on an overnight. The first trip through the lady thought I was crazy but stamped me through quickly. The next weekend, down there on the same flights, with the same story, they seemed to be highly suspicious of my intentions. In fact, the moment the conversation tone changed was, after telling her I was only there for 12 hours, she asked if I'd even been to T&T before. I replied "Yes, last weekend." That got my paperwork and passport handed over to a supervisor for 'review'. The actual customs lady was very nice and apologetic that it was taking so long though. She kept asking all sorts of questions about frequent flyer miles and mileage runs and what my wife thought of all of this - her genuine interest was quite funny actually. All was sorted out eventually but I don't think they completely got their heads around the whole story.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
Did a quick turnaround several times already. Arrival at around 5 am and departure around 8 am. Luckily for me, I have not had any issues. Immigration officers looked shocked at first but when they called up their supervisors, supervisors just told them it's okay, from which I'm thinking, they have had enough mile runners so far.

I am doing another one this Friday (EWR-POS-IAH-EWR). Anybody?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:04 pm
tsz

Did the quick turnaround (EWR-POS-IAH-EWR) this past weekend and wrote down "Transit" as the purpose of travel on my customs/immigration form. The immigration officer asked me to show her my POS-IAH boarding pass and stamped my passport with no issues. She asked me how much I paid for the ticket and said she hopes she can "do it someday."
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton, Mrt., PC, Hertz
Smile

Originally Posted by tsz
Did the quick turnaround (EWR-POS-IAH-EWR) this past weekend and wrote down "Transit" as the purpose of travel on my customs/immigration form. The immigration officer asked me to show her my POS-IAH boarding pass and stamped my passport with no issues. She asked me how much I paid for the ticket and said she hopes she can "do it someday."
That's funny - people like us everywhere!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
DCA-POS for ~4 cpm

Immediately turn at POS is available. For Nov. 21-22, DCA-EWR-IAH-POS-EWR-IAH-DCA, 9286 miles for $361.70 or 3.895 cpm. For Dec. 5-6, DCA-IAH-EWR-POS-IAH-DCA, 8594 miles for $350.10 or 4.074 cpm.
Good travels.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't know if any one does these spur of the moment but you can go tonight at midnight for an intimidate turn in the AM through IAH for $305.10

Fri., Oct. 17, 2014 | New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) to Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago (POS)
Depart:
11:59 p.m.
Fri., Oct. 17, 2014
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
Arrive:
4:59 a.m. +1 Day
Sat., Oct. 18, 2014
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago (POS)
Travel Time:
5 hr 0 mn
Distance:
2,216 miles
Flight:UA1505
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
Fare Class: United Economy (G)
Meal: Food and Beverages for Purchase
No Special Meal Offered.
Sat., Oct. 18, 2014 | Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago (POS) to New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
Depart:
8:04 a.m.
Sat., Oct. 18, 2014
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago (POS)
Arrive:
12:59 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 18, 2014
Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)
Flight Time:
5 hr 55 mn
Distance:
2,562 miles
Flight:UA1459
Meal: Food for Purchase
No Special Meal Offered.
Change Planes. Connect time in Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) is 1 hour 58 minutes.
Depart:
2:57 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 18, 2014
Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)
Arrive:
7:29 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 18, 2014
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
Flight Time:
3 hr 32 mn

Travel Time:
11 hr 25 mn
Distance:
1,400 miles
Total Distance:
3,962 miles
Flight: UA1621
Meal: Food for Purchase
No Special Meal Offered.

Just in case you were looking for something to do this weekend.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
No credit to me, but just passing on tip from someone from another thread...:
by adding LGA-IAH-EWR on the front end, increase mileage by 3k with pretty much no extra cost. Keep EWR-POS-IAH-NYC on back end
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
As someone stated earlier, the fare exists from WAS too, for us DCA-based flyers (I can walk to the airport), it's a no-brainer near the end of the year:

DCA-IAH-EWR-POS-IAH-EWR-DCA is what I booked for US$364,20 with an immediate turn in POS, over the weekend. Easy, peasy (assuming security/customs have had enough MRers) and lounge access the whole way for some free snacks and drinks, if one isn't upgraded as a Gold+.

-jeremy
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Tight turnaround is okay AS LONG AS the customs hall is not busy!

Did what was supposed to be a 100-minute turnaround this morning -- but the inbound was late from EWR. So there I was standing in the immigration hall with at least 300 people in front of me at 5:40 AM and boarding was supposed to begin for my 6:39 AM flight at 6:04 AM. And the line was crawling, and I mean inching along at a painfully slow pace! Even though my outbound aircraft was the same one I had just come in on, I went into panic mode! Had to sweet talk my way, POS-IAH boarding pass in hand, through 3 mainly uninterested "staff" people before I finally spoke to one of the wheelchair attendants who graciously let me go through the wheelchair line!

The immigration agent asked me if I was doing a mileage run!! Then shook her head with a smile at my response and sent me on my way. As a previous poster advised, I took the escalator back up (before going to the baggage hall) and the rest was easy. And of course my departing flight was delayed because of the late inbound aircraft, which I expected.

Just wanted to let people know that a quick turnaround is okay AS LONG AS another flight doesn't come in just before you! Be prepared to do some fast-talking if you find yourself in a similar situation.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Originally Posted by catgirl
Did what was supposed to be a 100-minute turnaround this morning -- but the inbound was late from EWR. So there I was standing in the immigration hall with at least 300 people in front of me at 5:40 AM and boarding was supposed to begin for my 6:39 AM flight at 6:04 AM. And the line was crawling, and I mean inching along at a painfully slow pace! Even though my outbound aircraft was the same one I had just come in on, I went into panic mode! Had to sweet talk my way, POS-IAH boarding pass in hand, through 3 mainly uninterested "staff" people before I finally spoke to one of the wheelchair attendants who graciously let me go through the wheelchair line!

The immigration agent asked me if I was doing a mileage run!! Then shook her head with a smile at my response and sent me on my way. As a previous poster advised, I took the escalator back up (before going to the baggage hall) and the rest was easy. And of course my departing flight was delayed because of the late inbound aircraft, which I expected.

Just wanted to let people know that a quick turnaround is okay AS LONG AS another flight doesn't come in just before you! Be prepared to do some fast-talking if you find yourself in a similar situation.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Was considering this with the short connection but EWR in the winter can be sketchy with inbound flights.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador & LTT, National Executive Elite
I booked this itinerary but substituted BQN for POS to avoid having to go through customs. $318 in December.

One newbie question... The itinerary is displaying out of order (the LGA - IAH segment is sandwiched in the middle even though it obviously occurs first). Is this just a known United.com glitch, or do I need to look into it?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:21 am

This fare still available by UA. It is around 3.85 cpm. This country is safe and fun etc?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by mekk
.One newbie question... The itinerary is displaying out of order (the LGA - IAH segment is sandwiched in the middle even though it obviously occurs first). Is this just a known United.com glitch, or do I need to look into it?
Anything odd, I always try to sort out.

Thanks to the OP for posting. Discovered I could make Gold by taking a quick trip. A little more expensive from SEA, but still an acceptable price.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Kwang su
This country is safe and fun etc?
safe, not really
fun, i don't know, never been there

if you are planning to stay more than the quick turn, the best advice is to take the interisland flight to Tobago.

as mentioned upthread, BQN is a reasonable substitute from the price standpoint but you lose some miles. BQN is generally regarded as safe, and there are some nice beaches nearby.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mekk
The itinerary is displaying out of order (the LGA - IAH segment is sandwiched in the middle even though it obviously occurs first). Is this just a known United.com glitch, or do I need to look into it?
I don't know about whether or not it's known to UA, but I've seen this before, and it isn't a website display glitch. It means that the segments are actually listed out of order in your PNR. Call reservations to fix this; the call will start out with the agent somewhat puzzled by what's happening, but they can fix the order for you. If you reload your reservation on United.com after they say that they finished working on it, you will see the sements in the correct order.

Enjoy the MR!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.