Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

UA: IAH⇄SIN $881 ai RT 4.3-4.5 cpm (19940+ miles)

UA: IAH⇄SIN $881 ai RT 4.3-4.5 cpm (19940+ miles)

Old May 3, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Disappeared!

Was looking to do a mR on May 9-12th and am getting a fare of $1341. Would love to see a $881 if someone has some hints they can pass along.

Thanks
Old May 4, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
As noted up-thread, the $881 fare was only applicable for departures from May 1-4.
Old May 4, 2014, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

It is 430am on May 5th at SIN. After shower, I am sitting in the lounge waiting for the flight boarding to NRT.
It has been very smooth so far. No security or custom is required.
Since it is a quick return, I don't plan to adjust my time Central time zone. I have been watching TV, browsing internet, and having several meals at two lounges. KrisFly Gold has bigger tv and less crowded. The other premier lounge has better food and shower!
SIN is definitely a great place for MRers to stay over night.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, MR Gold (lifetime)
SIN mileage run

I've done 4 MR's mostly SJC-DEN-NRT-SIN on with a 7 hour turn in SIN in the last 12 months & Singapore is indeed a wonderful place to overnight on a MR. It is a pity, however, that some of the things like the Butterfly garden are essentially closed in the evening.
Old May 7, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by alleony
It is 430am on May 5th at SIN. After shower, I am sitting in the lounge waiting for the flight boarding to NRT.
Since it is a quick return, I don't plan to adjust my time Central time zone. I have been watching TV, browsing internet, and having several meals at two lounges. KrisFly Gold has bigger tv and less crowded. The other premier lounge has better food and shower!
How did you get your boarding passes for the return flights printed?
Old May 7, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Return tickets

I did this run also, and was able to get my return tickets in Tokyo. I also know that the transit desk opens at 4:30am, so you can get them printed then also.
Old May 10, 2014, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Once I landed at NRT at my outbound flight, I asked the agent at United club to print out the BP of SIN-NRT. Then I got the BP from NRT-IAH when I arrived SIN.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
how full was the flight?

any chance of upgrade?
Old May 11, 2014, 12:36 am

Once I landed at NRT at my outbound flight, I asked the agent at United club to print out the BP of SIN-NRT. Then I got the BP from NRT-IAH when I arrived SIN.
That is great to know that it can be done! Thanks!
Old May 13, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
I see a lot of misinformation in this thread about doing overnight turns at SIN. I've done this a bunch of times. In no particular order, to clarify and provide some additional tips:

1) I've never been asked for my onward BP when staying airside overnight - with the exception of getting into the lounge. BTW the SATS lounge is better than the SK lounge (at least the one that *Golds flying Y get access to) - for starters there are showers - although sometimes (rarely) they will hassle you if you show up "too early" before your flight and tell you to come back at 3am.

2) Staying at the hotel will not get you to avoid security in the morning. Security is done at the gate in SIN. Also weirdly your BP is scanned when you enter the gate area and not when you board.

3) I've only flown UA, but since the terminals are all connected both airside and landslide, I don't see how flying a LCC would keep you from staying airside.

4) Passport control and customs are 24 hours.

5) Boarding Passes (Ugh). SIN has security requirements. To go airside you need a BP printed by airport staff. IT is ok if it was printed at another station (e.g. NRT, HKG). In general this isn't a problem to get ahead of time (at least on UA). That said, if you forget and wind up in SIN without BP's you are semi screwed: You can remain airside (but not likely use the lounge without a BP), or go landslide (which is pretty boring at 1 AM) and have to wait for the UA counter to open at 3 AM to get back.

6) More on Boarding passes: SIN also requires you to get a sticker on your passport. You have three opportunities to get this sticker (again this is for UA): a) At Transfer Desk B in terminal 3 starting around 3:30 am, b) at the UA departures desk in the lobby land side after 3 am, or c) when you go through security at the gate. Basically the goal is to have you answer the traditional "Did you pack your own luggage?" questions and for some bizarre reason confirm that your name is on the list of people the airline has given to the airport for your flight (I'm not sure if there is some sort of rampant issue with forged BPs or a lot of fugitives are trying to get out of the country with fake documents). The good news: They grok mileage runs and won't be surprised that you are flying NRT-SIN-NRT on a quick turn).

7) There are left baggage facilities both airside and landside for you to stash your bulky rollaboard for 4-5 SGD.

By the way, if you aren't doing a quick turn, it kinda sucks to be flying UA to/from SIN. The inbound flights both land 0000-0100 which is after the public transportation has shutdown, later than things are open, subjects you to a surcharge on taxi fares, and puts you at your posh hotel at 2 am or so (so you get to pay for an extra night). On your departure, you will discover (that unless you managed to get to the airport between 3am and 6am the day before your departure - the only hours that UA is open in the lobby) to get your BP, you will need to wait until 3am to get your BP which you need (remember printed website BPs don't work) to get airside. This is a total customer service failure on the part of UA.

One last thing, try the packaged green mangos from the convenience store that is located both airside in terminal 3 (next to the food court upstairs) and also landslide (just outside baggage claim). They are tangy and addictive.
Old May 13, 2014, 4:05 am

Thanks for a very descriptive write up, vpescado!

Will a UA BP pre-printed at NRT be good enough to gain access to the SATS Lounge?

Which SATS Lounge (assuming there are more than one) has shower and open the late night early morning hours (overnight)?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 13, 2014, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by ORDFlyer33
I did not need a pass to access the contract lounge last fall when I transited through SIN overnight. I just showed my boarding pass and *G card. The contract lounge also has 5 or 6 reclining massage chairs that you could get some rest on. Just make sure you set an alarm to make sure you catch your flight. I almost slept through mine! I believe there is also a shower available there.
Do you remember what terminal this contract lounge that you were talking about is at? Thanks!
Old May 13, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by lax2010
Thanks for a very descriptive write up, vpescado!

Will a UA BP pre-printed at NRT be good enough to gain access to the SATS Lounge?

Which SATS Lounge (assuming there are more than one) has shower and open the late night early morning hours (overnight)?

Thanks in advance!
A BP from NRT (and your *Gold card) will be enough to get you admittance (unless you get the rare gatekeeper that thinks you are there too early). If you check-in in the lobby or transfer desk and are *G, you will get an invitation (that the lounge prefers), but I've never actually handed it over to them. If due to time they won't let you in the SATS lounge, just go over to the SK lounge next door - it isn't bad, and actually has a better work area (3 desks) but has slightly inferior food offerings and no shower (although if you are flying in business or first SK will put you in their better lounge next door which is better and has showers).

It is in terminal three upstairs next to the two SK lounges.

Originally Posted by lax2010
Do you remember what terminal this contract lounge that you were talking about is at? Thanks!
This is the same one I describe above (SATS).
Old May 13, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: *G, oneworld Sapphire
Why is this thread still listed in the current deals forum?
Old May 13, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Because people keep bumpin it up, yourself (& now myself) included! Duh!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.