Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

DL: SJC-SXM $433 rt ai (9253 mi, 4.7 cpm)

Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Amex Plat, JPM Select

Saw a post on TFD about a SEA-SXM run for $430, so thought I'd give it a try from SJC and SFO.

Route: SJC-SLC-JFK-SXM-JFK-LAX-SJC
Sample Date: May 03-06

SFO-JFK-SXM has a lot more flights available at $430, but the cpm increases (5.0 cpm, 8526 mi).
Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Works out of SEA as well...SEA-JFK-SXM-JFK-SEA...IIRC, double miles for Wash residents on the SEA-JFK and JFK-SEA segments.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum
As far as I can see, this itinerary requires me to spend the night at JFK both ways; quite unappealing or is there a decent solution available? Cheap hotels near JFK maybe? Lounges at JFK seem to be closed at nights.
Also, no upgrades to business elite on SEA-JFK for medallions and v.v. even though the current business elite on the 757-200 is nothing to write home about (no flat bed seats; Delta must be crazy to demand premium prices for a fancy pillow).
Please let me know if I'm mistaken.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by jrseattle
As far as I can see, this itinerary requires me to spend the night at JFK both ways; quite unappealing or is there a decent solution available? Cheap hotels near JFK maybe? Lounges at JFK seem to be closed at nights.
Also, no upgrades to business elite on SEA-JFK for medallions and v.v. even though the current business elite on the 757-200 is nothing to write home about (no flat bed seats; Delta must be crazy to demand premium prices for a fancy pillow).
Please let me know if I'm mistaken.
Play with dates and connections. You should be able to overnight in SXM and spend a day watching idiots get blown into ocean from bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS8y89DHMTs

SOOOO worth the price of the run. Want to go back so bad I can not stand it!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Saw very limited UA PDX-SXM dates $431+ however most low priced fares involved an overnight layover.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:42 am

Considered pulling the trigger on this just so I could see the somewhat famous seaside airplane landings while earning some miles, but I figured I should save for a more substantial vacation. :P
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by SansSerif
Considered pulling the trigger on this just so I could see the somewhat famous seaside airplane landings while earning some miles, but I figured I should save for a more substantial vacation. :P
SXM is a pretty nice place for a vacation. Pop over to St. Bart's for a cheeseburger in paradise at Le Select.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
SXM is a pretty nice place for a vacation. Pop over to St. Bart's for a cheeseburger in paradise at Le Select.
+1 to popping over to St. Barts, if for no other reason than to experience the landing there. But, if you are paying to go to St. Barts there are some incredible restaurants that should be tried before going to Buffet's namesake.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: Delta Platinum
Thanks. I found a red-eye flight SEA to JFK on 5/11, continuing on to St Maarten the next day (5/12). My return flight is 2 days later and does include a night stay in New York. I found the Wingtips lounge in Terminal 4, which is open 24 hours, which should help. While in St. Maarten I definitely will check out the beach next to the airport as shown in the video. Crazy stuff!

Double MQM miles for the SEA-JFK segments is just too tempting!

I know I can't expect double miles for flights flown after the registration, but purchased earlier, but I'm secretly hoping I'll get them anyway.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:25 am

ex-SEA you can route through LAX both ways in increasing the mileage by about 1000 (if you're an AS elite this makes sense). And the on the way out you're on a red eye.

Are complimentary upgrades gone on transcontinental flight on Delta? I'll admit I haven't been flying them much, so it came as something of a shock to see my LAX-JFK and return as "not upgrade eligible".
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
Are complimentary upgrades gone on transcontinental flight on Delta? I'll admit I haven't been flying them much, so it came as something of a shock to see my LAX-JFK and return as "not upgrade eligible".
Yes, elite status upgrades on Delta are gone for SEA/SFO/LAX to JFK.
They still exist on a few west coast city routes like SAN-JFK or anywhere other than JFK on the east coast.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Yes, elite status upgrades on Delta are gone for SEA/SFO/LAX to JFK.
They still exist on a few west coast city routes like SAN-JFK or anywhere other than JFK on the east coast.
Boo
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
$432 from SMF

$404 from RNO

both require SLC connection for those prices, LAX adds $100+

then to JFK (overnight) and SXM

one way outbound fare from RNO is only $187 on May 1.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
I see AA matching some dates as well out of SFO.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
$534 on UA out of SFO. Not sure if that's a bad attempt at a match, or just unrelated.

UA does have their semi-regular sub-$400 SFO-SJU going at the moment, which works out to the same 4.7cpm depending on routing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.