Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
UA- LAX to OSL for $629

A friend and I are doing this:
LAX-ORD-AMS-OSL on Nov. 27, 2014
OSL-CPH on Nov 30, 2014
CPH-BRU-ORD-LAX on Dec 2, 2014
We depart LAX on Thanksgiving Day. We will spend two nights in Oslo and two nights in Copenhagen before returning to LAX.
We each paid about $629. 13158 miles @ 4.7 cents a mile. Real happy to be visiting two cities.

Last edited by Orion; Mar 6, 2014 at 4:18 pm Reason: added mileage and cost per mile
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
FLL/EWR-OSL seem to be working too (for around $425): http://www.theflightdeal.com/2014/03...cluding-taxes/

Routing FLL-IAH-EWR-OSL (and return) gives 3.5cpm at $426
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K
This must be to retaliate Norwegian's low fares LAX/NYC/FLL-ARN/CPH/OSL.
If UA operated out of OAK, I'm sure OAK would be included too.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Just booked EWR-OSL on UA 12/4 from 12/9 at $422 per person. Very excited!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:13 pm
Suspended

I'm sure OAK would be included too.

Last edited by holanxiaoq; Mar 6, 2014 at 8:21 pm
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dantorsiello
Just booked EWR-OSL on UA 12/4 from 12/9 at $422 per person. Very excited!
Did you know you could have bought that same ticket for late August travel for only about $100 more? To me, THAT'S the deal here, give how poor the weather will be in winter.

Of course, from a tourist's perspective, the airfare would be the only affordable aspect of a Norwegian vacation. It is probably the most expensive country in the world right now (at least according to the Big Mac index). I remember being in Sweden a couple years ago, and everybody took pity on me when they realized I was a poor American. And I was -- prices are brutally expensive in Sweden. But everyone told me that even Swedes find Norway expensive!

That said, I did vacation in Norway about 15 years ago, and I liked it well enough. It definitely is the "hinterlands" of Europe, though, and should be nobody's first (or fifth) European destination. And at current exchange rates, it's probably best to just go elsewhere.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL, UA, Alaska
I have always wanted to go to Norway, but the prices make Tokyo look cheap (and I have done a few trips to Tokyo in the last few years, even at the higher Yen values...at least there are ways to make Japan work on a budget). There is so much else to see in the world without blowing the bank like Norway would.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timpdx
I have always wanted to go to Norway, but the prices make Tokyo look cheap (and I have done a few trips to Tokyo in the last few years, even at the higher Yen values...at least there are ways to make Japan work on a budget). There is so much else to see in the world without blowing the bank like Norway would.
Correct. I did Stockholm when DL offered $200ish roundtrips a couple years ago. Expenses on the ground were brutal but, as a flyertalker, I did several tricks to manage them. Norway would likely be 1/3 more expensive than Sweden.

If this fare was half what it's selling for, I'd do Oslo, too, figuring I at least had free airfare. But this airfare ain't free, so I'll pass on going to what is the most expensive country in the world. Still a great deal, though, if you have a specific reason to visit Norway -- like friends and family, who might house and feed you!

BTW, Tokyo's gotten cheaper over the past 20 years. Still expensive, but not crazy expensive like Oslo.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Did you know you could have bought that same ticket for late August travel for only about $100 more? To me, THAT'S the deal here, give how poor the weather will be in winter.

Of course, from a tourist's perspective, the airfare would be the only affordable aspect of a Norwegian vacation. It is probably the most expensive country in the world right now (at least according to the Big Mac index). I remember being in Sweden a couple years ago, and everybody took pity on me when they realized I was a poor American. And I was -- prices are brutally expensive in Sweden. But everyone told me that even Swedes find Norway expensive!

That said, I did vacation in Norway about 15 years ago, and I liked it well enough. It definitely is the "hinterlands" of Europe, though, and should be nobody's first (or fifth) European destination. And at current exchange rates, it's probably best to just go elsewhere.
I did but there are two issues. The first is I fly PHL-SAN 8/13-8/21 and then as a teacher usually have orientation/classroom set up around then.

I actually have a few friends in Norway who could feed us, etc. As a social studies teacher going somewhere new and exciting for a good rate, even if pricey on the ground, is a good enough excuse for me to travel. And quite accidentally this will put me on track to make Silver for the first time ever, just need to make sure to hit the minimum spend on my MileagePlus card or spend another $1500 on United.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: SkyTeam Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Correct. I did Stockholm when DL offered $200ish roundtrips a couple years ago. Expenses on the ground were brutal but, as a flyertalker, I did several tricks to manage them. Norway would likely be 1/3 more expensive than Sweden.

If this fare was half what it's selling for, I'd do Oslo, too, figuring I at least had free airfare. But this airfare ain't free, so I'll pass on going to what is the most expensive country in the world. Still a great deal, though, if you have a specific reason to visit Norway -- like friends and family, who might house and feed you!

BTW, Tokyo's gotten cheaper over the past 20 years. Still expensive, but not crazy expensive like Oslo.

You can find good hotels that include breakfast, high tea and 'light' dinner for about $130-$160 and then there is no need to go out for food (example: http://www.tripadvisor.nl/Hotel_Revi...rn_Norway.html). Stayed there last year, was great... and the light dinner was soup, make your own salad and make your own taco, so it was definitely not light
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Norway ends up being about 40% more expensive for me than Sweden.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Iahphx is just trying to discourage everyone from going to Norway so he'll have less competition for Choice points in the Daily getaways!!!

We stayed in Bergen on points that probably cost me $100 / night and the hotel served an amazing breakfast, pancakes for mid-afternoon snack, and a supper that left me stuffed every night!

So we didn't eat a single meal away from the hotel, aside from self-catering. Ok, the $15 pint of ice cream to celebrate a B-day on the trip did show up as a line item on our trip expense report, LOL!

So airfare was on a deal. Hotel on Choice points. Rental car on Avis free day cert. (Still paid $40 in taxes!) It can be done. And it's worth the work.

Beautiful and amazing place but I would agree, most expensive on earth.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobKop
You can find good hotels that include breakfast, high tea and 'light' dinner for about $130-$160 and then there is no need to go out for food (example: http://www.tripadvisor.nl/Hotel_Revi...rn_Norway.html). Stayed there last year, was great... and the light dinner was soup, make your own salad and make your own taco, so it was definitely not light
Yeah, I've heard about the free food at the Choice Hotels in Norway. In Sweden, I just got a (huge) free breakfast. Obviously, that's the best way to "game" the hotel situation in Scandinavia. They generally offer cheap Choice Privileges redemption levels, too.

On my last visit to Norway (several years ago, I've been avoiding it), I stayed at a small chain called something like "home hotel" that actually offered free beer to guests. It was the only beer I drunk in Scandinavia; I'm sure I wouldn't be willing to pay the going rate for booze now, either.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I underestimated. That's got to be the most expensive country in the world for travelers. I read this week that Singapore is now the world's most expensive city, but that's definitely not true for "Flyertalkers." As long as you game your hotel expenses (I just used free weekend night certs at the Conrad), SIN expenses are actually pretty manageable. The Nordic countries are much harder to deal with, largely due to food and transport expense.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hobo13
Iahphx is just trying to discourage everyone from going to Norway so he'll have less competition for Choice points in the Daily getaways!!!
Ha! Maybe there's some truth in that.

But I'm still sitting on most of my hoard from last year, so my bidding may be cut back this spring. Choice's "unwillingness" to offer 8000 point redemptions in Europe this spring is discouraging me from using them all up. I've got a trip to the Continent next month and don't have a single Choice hotel booked. Instead, I've drained my ClubCarlson account.

I would certainly drain my Choice account if I were going to Norway, though. That $530 August fare is tempting, but not QUITE tempting enough given the other expenses. It definitely is possible to "mooch" your way through Scandinavia (I also remember combing the tourist board info for free events), but I don't really think it's worth the effort as a "random" tourist destination if you have other alternatives. Like I find Eastern Europe to be more interesting, and perhaps 1/4th the cost.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
Paid $500 per ticket to get us to Europe late Spring. From Oslo it's just a $150 return to Amsterdam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.