Wiki Posts
Search

UA: SFO->HNL->GUM->HKG R/T $800-1000 17K PQMs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold

I don't think this technically qualifies as an MR because the CPMs work out to around $0.05/mile, but I mention it for the opportunity to pick up a nice whack of miles. This would be ideal for somebody who is already at one elite level(say 32-35K or 58K, etc.) and finish off the next or be within a US mid-con of reaching the next level.

Doing this 10/10-10/14 w/ feorlen (AKA Mrs. Jet'Dillo).
Availability still pretty good into Oct and Nov., didn't price it out much beyond that because we've got other plans for later in the year.

Mods: Feel free to move/reclassify this if you think it belongs elsewhere....
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:45 am

Nice find! When I use United.com I can only find:

1. Fare of $1024
2. Routes via NRT or EWR

How do we book routes via HNL & GUM for $800? Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Originally Posted by WiFly

1. Fare of $1024
2. Routes via NRT or EWR

There may be better ways but my practice on these types of fares is to find the dates with the fares I want on ITA and then, if united.com does not quickly cooperate, go to hipmunk, where I can use the advanced ITA codes, and search with those specific dates. For this search in hipmunk (assuming you have the right dates), e.g.:

There are other codes you could include, of course, but this is the most basic way to force the routing. Indeed, using "ua+" for each leg every once in a while yields even better results, especially if you expand the hipmunk results to see "worse" options.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:08 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
The problem is usually a date change into/out of Guam. This causes the fare not to price on United.Com. You need to be careful about the date on the GUM-HKG segment.
I have done this trip a few times. It is best if you have a strong back, as it is brutal in coach and only slightly tolerable in business. Still, it is a lot of PQMs.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Vulcan
The problem is usually a date change into/out of Guam. This causes the fare not to price on United.Com. You need to be careful about the date on the GUM-HKG segment.
I have done this trip a few times. It is best if you have a strong back, as it is brutal in coach and only slightly tolerable in business. Still, it is a lot of PQMs.
+1 Did MNL-GUM-HNL-DEN last fall. In coach (except for HNL-DEN). Brutal. Old-school domestic aircraft sans many of the amenities you might expect for such long intercontinental travel. That said, I love Hong Kong and even this routing might be worth it to get to HK for $800.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver

Just got off a ewr-iah-hnl-gum-mnl run and I'll echo how brutal it is in coach.

It's an excellent route for RPUs though, as every segment except hnl-gum can be upgraded
Old Sep 5, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Just came back from SEA-SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG-NRT-SEA over labor day. That HNL-GUM flight is the worst. GUM-HKG CPU and a very tasty meal. Marriott points for the tallest hotel in the world and all in all a very nice time. I think I paid around $760.

This is already being discussed here
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
+1 Did MNL-GUM-HNL-DEN last fall. In coach (except for HNL-DEN). Brutal. Old-school domestic aircraft sans many of the amenities you might expect for such long intercontinental travel.
Any idea when the equipment will be upgraded to new aircraft? I'm on the island hopper at the end of the year.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by j8s8er
Any idea when the equipment will be upgraded to new aircraft? I'm on the island hopper at the end of the year.
It won't if you are flying Y, there are no plans to do anything regarding to Y for the 2 class domestic 772 at all. And the GUM-HKG will only have drop down LCD screen, no plans for those to get any upgrade neither. And that's why it is brutal.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:15 pm

It seems that this routing is this price all the time.

There is actually a very good, non-MR reason to do HKG-GUM-HNL-SFO instead of the direct flight. If you need to stay in HK until late afternoon, but do not want to pay for an extra night's hotel, the HKG-GUM red-eye gets you out of HK at 10 PM, and you'll get into SFO at around 4 AM instead of 9 AM, so you can go home and sleep for a few hours before going to work.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
Just came back from SEA-SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG-NRT-SEA over labor day. That HNL-GUM flight is the worst. GUM-HKG CPU and a very tasty meal. Marriott points for the tallest hotel in the world and all in all a very nice time. I think I paid around $760.

This is already being discussed here
As ASEFlyer said, this deal is way much better ex-SEA.

The only issue - will UA HKG help you drop the last segment so that you can jump plane?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WiFly

1. Fare of $1024
2. Routes via NRT or EWR

Do a multi-city booking on your site-of-choice and force the routing through GUM, that will add in the HNL leg and hook you up with the right flights to/from SFO.

I searched on Kayak and booked through .bomb
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
Do a multi-city booking on your site-of-choice and force the routing through GUM, that will add in the HNL leg and hook you up with the right flights to/from SFO.

I searched on Kayak and booked through .bomb
What dates do you use when booking a multi-city? For example for SEA-SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG-NRT-SEA would the SEA-SFO-HNL flights all be on the same day?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 5:04 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
sorry but I thought this tread was all about premium fares, eg J. Is it that the HNL-Guam segment is in economy only? Trying to understand this.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Is this still alive? I'm trying to force it through GUM on ITA and there are no UA results coming up. If I do the search SFO-HKG with UA+ in the routing, the only options are SFO-SEA-NRT-HKG, which is just shy of 15K miles. I'm looking at doing the UA Plat status challenge so I need a bit closer to the 17K mark in order to make this work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.