Lan/AA: BOS-MVD $789 ai RT (Oct dates)

Old Aug 6, 13, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD

Old Aug 6, 13, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Seems like it could be less if you turn segment 3 into an N from an L...
Old Aug 6, 13, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Seems like it could be less if you turn segment 3 into an N from an L...
Yeah I see some $764 out there. The L leg doesn't seem to affect things either way though. The $25 extra is for non-Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday departures on either end.

It's a combo of an unusually cheap AA BOS-MIA fare and a fairly cheap LA MIA-MVD fare. Pretty sure it involves a terminal change at MIA that involves leaving and re-entering security. And it definitely isn't sporadic...

Edit: Can't get it to become bookable?

Edit 2: Can get it bookable but it has to be done as a multi-city with the underlying fares, i.e. BOS-MIA, MIA-MVD, MVD-MIA, MIA-BOS. Don't forget to put MIA-BOS the day after MVD-MIA!

Edit 3: Can get the AA MIA-SCL but with the LA code, would avoid the terminal change though. Not as big a deal on the return as you have to go through Customs anyway.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Aug 6, 13 at 9:39 pm
Old Aug 7, 13, 12:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
MVD looks gorgeous. Is MVD worth visiting that time of year?
Old Aug 7, 13, 4:12 am

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
MVD is a charming town. Best steaks. Safe, pleasant, great wine.
People are very friendly although few speak English.
Old Aug 7, 13, 5:50 am
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold

I have booked NYC to MVD for feb 2014 for $350 ai on Copa when it was on sale last month wait for such fares
Old Aug 7, 13, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, UA Gold/1MM, QR Platinum
Originally Posted by gotofly View Post
I have booked NYC to MVD for feb 2014 for $350 ai on Copa when it was on sale last month wait for such fares
+1. I'm headed down there for Labor Day on the copa steal
Old Aug 7, 13, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qmiro View Post
MVD is a charming town. Best steaks. Safe, pleasant, great wine.
People are very friendly although few speak English.

Steaks, wine, and.... pot : "Uruguay Entering Brave New World of Pot Legalization".

http://world.time.com/2013/08/05/hig...-legalization/
Old Aug 7, 13, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by TechMarauder View Post
+1. I'm headed down there for Labor Day on the copa steal
wow... did I miss a killer sale or what!
Old Aug 7, 13, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG/Marriott Plat, WOH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Gold, jetBlue Mosaic

I just did MIA-SCL-MVD-SCL-MIA for $491 ai on LA this past weekend (Fri-Sun). It was a lot of flying but doable.

MVD is a nice enough city to wander around for 1-3 days although not more (head to Buenos Aires via ferry or drive to Punta del Este), although cold this time of year (40s-50s). Was a nice change of pace from MIA. Stayed at Four Points, which was just OK but central. Next time I'd do the Sheraton or Radisson.

SCL very easy to transit through, although at MIA if you are continuing through, you'll have to go between D and J which is a pain.

LA is MILES better in Y than AA, new IFE systems (better than AA in F on 777s), good food and newer 767s. Seat pitch and legroom are not bad and they serve free booze in Y throughout flight. Main drawback is if you are an AA elite don't expect to be able to select an exit row (12, 19, 20) which all have basically unlimited legroom. Can only be had at airport...and only at either MIA or SCL. i couldn't get at MVD and by time we landed at SCL they were gone, which really pissed me off but oh well.

Oh, and their check-in at MIA sucks and their ground staff are useless. Nice lounges at MIA, SCL and MVD.

Happy flying! Feel free to let me know if anyone has any questions.
Old Aug 10, 13, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Currently doing one of these (the ex-MIA $500 fare booked earlier this year) and Montevideo is a nice place to visit for a couple of days. It is winter now down here, so chilly (cold for those who live in perpetual heat, I'm Canadian so find it very pleasant though I'm one of the few on the streets without a heavy coat or sweater). It'll be warmer in November. Very good steak dinners with best half bottle of wine on most menus can be had for about $35, equivalent to a Ruth Chris's for twice the price.

I concur with the seating points:

I highly recommend 20AC/JL as the best economy seats on the plane. Almost two feet of leg room/space from the seat in front as this is an emergency exit row. Also good for those who like bulkhead seats are 12 and 19AC/JL which are similar to the row 20 pairings but are up against the bulkhead and thus not quite as much leg room. The centre bank of row 19 are also very good with about two feet of leg room, though this is used quite a bit by passengers moving from aisle to aisle during the flight, and the centre seat will certainly be filled.

These are accessible by AA elites if still available at check-in. Also suggest LA's Neruda lounge over the other one at SCL. Also remember, you must go through security at SCL in both directions, so don't buy any Duty Free liquor or large bottles of perfume on the MIA-SCL or MVD-SCL legs...best deal [for whiskey drinkers] is JW Double Black at $40 with the 10% discount coupon they will give you inflight, best price anywhere on the planet at the moment. There's also a Duty Free at MVD after the immigration check which seems competitive if you want a bottle of booze for the hotel room...it's very expensive locally otherwise.

As for major chain hotels, the Radisson is best located for the first time visitor, within walking distance to most sights that can be covered in a two day stay. (There's an HI behind it, also convenient but a star below in classification.) Four Points is at the other end of the main city centre area, so also within walking distance of most places to visit on a short stay. The Sheraton is located in a further out new upper income suburb, not convenient to much sightseeing. Getting into the city from the airport can be trying. Taxis are expensive (about $40/P$800) and only make sense if there's more than one of you or your hotel is outside the old city/city centre. There is a shared shuttle service operated from white minibuses parked in front of the terminal ($13/P$250), but they seem to only be willing to go when there are more than four customers...which sometimes can be never! Alternatively, there are local buses that run through the airport (e.g. COPSA 70X series to "Montevideo" at $2/P$37) and can take you right city centre (Florida Ave for the Radisson and HI; Ejido Ave for the FourPts) though it's a long ride through various barrios with the locals, but you do get to see "the real" Montevideo. COT also runs luxury buses through the airport to/from Puente de Este. These can be taken from/to Los Trois Cruxes main bus terminal for $6/P$130. To get to/from the terminal into the city centre, take a CA1 bus from out front $.75/P$11. (Of course you must have local currency, but you pay the driver so exact change isn't needed as long as your bills are under P$500.)

Finally, note that while the MIA-SCL-MIA fare will earn 100% EQM/RDMs in AAdvantage, the SCL-MVD-SCL will only earn 25% EQM mileage (213 miles) but will earn the elite minimum 500 miles (plus any elite bonus) RDMs. Miles take about a week to post these days.

Last edited by Shareholder; Aug 11, 13 at 12:58 pm
Old Aug 10, 13, 6:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG/Marriott Plat, WOH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Gold, jetBlue Mosaic
As an added datapoint, my AA miles from last weekend came through today, here's what I earned...25% EQM on the SCL-MVD legs.

08/04/13 LAN AIRLINES 500 Y SCL MIA 4,117 4,117 8,234
08/04/13 LAN AIRLINES 905 Y MVD SCL 213 787 1,000
08/03/13 LAN AIRLINES 900 Y SCL MVD 213 787 1,000
08/02/13 LAN AIRLINES 503 Y MIA SCL 4,117 4,117 8,234
Old Aug 10, 13, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by qmiro View Post
MVD is a charming town. ... Safe...
Maybe. Maybe not.

http://boardingarea.com/thewandering...en-much-worse/

Stay alert.
Old Aug 10, 13, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
Very good steak dinners with best half bottle of wine on most menus can be had for about $35, equivalent to a Ruth Chris's for twice the price.
Agreed. Lunch too, if you're in to that.
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
To get to/from the terminal into the city centre, take a CA1 bus from out front $.75/P$11. (Of course you must have local currency, but you pay the driver so exact change isn't needed as long as your bills are under P$200.)
CA1 from Misiones to Tres Cruces was P$ 13 this morning, not 11.

We stayed 2 nights at the Axsur Design Hotel. Quite pleased with the location in the old city and the room was very comfortable, too. Going to stay near the Sheraton tomorrow night just to experience that side of town, too. In Colonia tonight. I'd say skip it though the dinner we had was almost worth the excursion.

Originally Posted by rdrnnr View Post
It is still a pretty safe place IME, even after getting picked. Certainly stay alert - especially down near the port - but I didn't feel unsafe on the streets, even after that happened.
Old Aug 11, 13, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
CA1 from Misiones to Tres Cruces was P$13 this morning, not 11.
Price must have gone up this past week, website still shows P$11. Note CA1 does not run on Sundays though so going to rough it again on a COPSA bus (701/703/704) from the old terminal by the waterfront for P$37 all the way to the airport (just three blocks from the HI). It's an hour's ride through a variety of barrios which is worth the experience...a bit of a magical mystery tour of suburban Montevideo.

Sorry to read about your "incident". It's always a challenge wanting to take pictures with a good camera and otherwise being discrete in the streets of these cities.

----

MVD-SCL flight delayed an hour tonight (Sunday) so arrived in SCL too late for LA500. Protected on LA508 at 1:15a and get into MIA 40 minutes before my onward MIA-YYZ flight, on a separate ticket! LAN agent unable to change the MIA-YYZ flight but was able to Skype ExecPlat desk and do a same day change for $75, get onto MIA-LGA-YYZ flights early afternoon (give myself a 3-hour buffer zone this time, had a 4-hour one on the original booking). Was still on the waitlist for an upgrade for my original flight and it was showing J1...new flights have F7A7 into LGA and have already been confirmed LGA-YYZ.

BTW seems the MVD flights these days are parked in remote stands and require bussing from/to the terminal at SCL. Keep this in mind for connections and boarding.

Last edited by Shareholder; Aug 11, 13 at 9:56 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: