Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

UA: LIS-GIG (via EWR & IAH) €706.66 (V fare; 19602 mi, USD 4.6cpm; multi-city bkg.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: LIS-GIG (via EWR & IAH) €706.66 (V fare; 19602 mi, USD 4.6cpm; multi-city bkg.)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Sorry, I'm very inexperienced with this kind of bookings (free stopovers). What exactly do I enter into the multi-city search? Should I enter every flight separately? And how do I see which dates are available at the good price?

Example: I want to add two days in NYC (EWR) on the outbound leg. I enter all the flights separately LIS-EWR, EWR-IAH, IAH-GIG (the last two being on the same day). I get a much higher price. Is there a fast way to check on which day the price would remain the same?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
This is a great fare, and for it being in 'V', even better!

For those that have access to KVS or EF, are there any good 'through' fares from Europe to Asia/Australia/South America in addition to this one?

I found a LON-SYD (which used to be the motherload of a great, cheap, upgradeable fare) but the date restrictions are very prohibitive on the fare.

Thanks in advance!

-jeremy
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Alec84
Sorry, I'm very inexperienced with this kind of bookings (free stopovers). What exactly do I enter into the multi-city search? Should I enter every flight separately? And how do I see which dates are available at the good price?

Example: I want to add two days in NYC (EWR) on the outbound leg. I enter all the flights separately LIS-EWR, EWR-IAH, IAH-GIG (the last two being on the same day). I get a much higher price. Is there a fast way to check on which day the price would remain the same?
Open ita,

to: GIG :: UA+

do a month-long search. Then you can do a round-trip search for the dates that you find the fare.

It's too bad they don't have this in July, because I'm planning on going to Rio through the US.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
This is the way I'd do it: though there are sure to be more efficient ways! Jiggling about seeking refinements on an OTA / the airline website after an initial ITA search can be useful.

Departing from
LIS :: ua ewr ua iah ua

Destination
GIG:: fra

using this syntax on a calendar search will give you flights from LIS to Rio on United through EWR and IAH, returning to LIS via Frankfurt, staying in Rio over the the range of nights you stipulate.

You can make up your own routings.

Destination
GIG:: ua iah ua ewr ua gives you the return route as a reverse of the outward one.

What this will not do is tell you about stop-overs, though it might offer connections of up to 24H. Once you have an idea of what dates and flights are available in the flight classes you want, you can shift to MULTICITY search, entering the dates you think might work. There's no guarantee they WILL work.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jun 4, 2013 at 3:08 pm
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:54 pm

pops up as AC cs as well, about 30usd cheaper, but error on payment.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:28 am

Thanks guys for your help, but I have no problem finding dates. What I would like to know is a quick way to do the following:

Let's say I want to fly LIS-GIG on tuesday and GIG-LIS on thursday next week. The dates have a nice price and the routing that I want. How do I now find a way to stay in EWR for 2-3 days, doesn't matter if it's on the outbound or the inbound leg. What I do is enter every single possibility into the multi-city search, but this seems to always raise the price and also is a slow process.

Tuesday LIS-EWR
Thursday EWR-GIG (or EWR-IAH-GIG)
Thursday GIG-LIS

That is just one example.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:00 am

Programs: UA LM Airbnb
if you're using gpu's just call ua. if the rep is confused, then call again. they should understand your goal and make it happen. we're flyiing ams-ord-sao-ord-lon on a similar deal. all biz.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thanks guys for your help, but I have no problem finding dates. What I would like to know is a quick way to do the following:

Tuesday LIS-EWR
Thursday EWR-GIG (or EWR-IAH-GIG)
Thursday GIG-LIS
I understand what you want - but not sure you are going to get it. At least not easily, in an automated seach.

If the initial search has come up with dates when all "V" sectors are available, then you should be able to patch together a multi-city using those dates.

I priced a trip with a couple of days' stop in NY at EUR770 - or EUR50 more to route back via London (more attractive for me). It's useful combination at a good price, but not eye-popping!

If the fare didn't give the opportunity of a stop in the US, then it really wouldn't be at all attractive.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Palal
It's too bad they don't have this in July, because I'm planning on going to Rio through the US.
World Cup? You lucky ........
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I meant July 2013. Conference.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Palal
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I meant July 2013. Conference.
I'm in the same boat. I wanted to get this fare in July 2013 while visiting Europe, but it jumps to $1200 usd.... Not very appealing to me.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I understand what you want - but not sure you are going to get it. At least not easily, in an automated seach.

If the initial search has come up with dates when all "V" sectors are available, then you should be able to patch together a multi-city using those dates.

I priced a trip with a couple of days' stop in NY at EUR770 - or EUR50 more to route back via London (more attractive for me). It's useful combination at a good price, but not eye-popping!

If the fare didn't give the opportunity of a stop in the US, then it really wouldn't be at all attractive.
Thanks for answering! It's a little annoying when you see quite often on travel blogs things like "free stopover included" and when you start to search for the stopover the price keeps jumping up.

The only real free stopover (more than 14h) I've managed to book was on EK a couple of years ago. This one I booked by simply making a multi-city booking to DXB and then to the next destination and the same thing on the way back.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:28 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I can find dates relatively easily via ITA, but where is everyone actually booking this? I tried booking on United's site but I'm not able to replicate the price. Even if I switch to the Portugal site it still prices in Euros the equivalent of the price I find on the USA site. BTW, I'm finding on ITA prices as low as €706 for departures this month (including tomorrow!).

edit: Never mind, found using multi-city

Last edited by aau; Jun 5, 2013 at 8:50 pm Reason: update
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:13 pm

I can't thank you all enough for this. Similar fare if originating in London. If you travel to London and Rio this is a huge money saver and the GPU eligible flights are a bonus.

As for stopovers, I was even able to go London to IAH (then stopover for 2 weeks), then IAH-GIG-IAH (then stopover for a month), then back to London.

Looking at booking more but you can only upgrade with one GPU for whatever is all in about one day's time. In other words, if you are stopping over as long as I am then you lose the ability to use only one GPU from LHR-IAH-GIG but I wouldn't want to do all that in a day anyway and for the savings it's worth it.

Thank you! It's almost impossible to find an affordable ticket to Rio that's upgradeable. W fares are usually over $2K.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: all
AA had a similar fare for about $650 that went from cdg/fra/dus to nyc and then down to gru or gig and back.

That fare was even cheaper, you could get it for 500 euros all in.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...i-rt-back.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.