FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   FL: BWI-FLL $72 roundtrip midweek May/June (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/1463654-fl-bwi-fll-72-roundtrip-midweek-may-june.html)

iahphx May 2, 2013 11:37 am

FL: BWI-FLL $72 roundtrip midweek May/June

Not sure how many mileage runners will be interested, but this is an astonishing low fare in this market. It must be some sort of response to a Spirit sale.

You can sweeten the deal by booking it as separate one-ways from a travel site that pays per flight cashback: like through topcashback.com for priceline.

flyinghigh77 May 2, 2013 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20687923)
Not sure how many mileage runners will be interested, but this is an astonishing low fare in this market. It must be some sort of response to a Spirit sale.

You can sweeten the deal by booking it as separate one-ways from a travel site that pays per flight cashback: like through topcashback.com for priceline.

cashback via priceline etc. is useless in this case as spirit sells tickets for less on its own website.

FlyingUsedToBeFun May 2, 2013 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20687923)

Which airlines have you seen offer this deal?

flyinghigh77 May 2, 2013 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUsedToBeFun (Post 20688201)
Which airlines have you seen offer this deal?

fl is spirit.

jim5518 May 2, 2013 12:37 pm

fl is airtran. They have some 36 one ways

iahphx May 2, 2013 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by flyinghigh77 (Post 20688213)
fl is spirit.

It is not. Spirit's code is NK. I guess folks don't know anymore that FL is AirTran. An airline about 5x better than Spirit, and now a Southwest subsidiary.

FlyingUsedToBeFun May 2, 2013 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20688236)
It is not. Spirit's code is NK. I guess folks don't know anymore that FL is AirTran. An airline about 5x better than Spirit, and now a Southwest subsidiary.

Sorry, I should have twigged to that - midday brain freeze!

hobo13 May 2, 2013 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20688236)

No kidding. But only 5x? You're really being unfair to FL! (And the folks in this thread who can't tell the difference make me laugh.)

When I was in grad school, I really appreciated the BOS-CAK flight at about 1/4 the cost of CO to CLE. To this day, it's the only inaugural flight I've ever been on!

flyinghigh77 May 2, 2013 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by jim5518 (Post 20688229)
fl is airtran. They have some 36 one ways

sorry, my mistake.

kamishiro May 2, 2013 3:13 pm

Calling someone out just because they don't know an LCC's airline code?
Some people actually like, fly internationally on major carriers and not just domestic LCCs, you know.

iahphx May 3, 2013 9:41 am

After a day, this deal seems to be gone. Not too surprising that AirTran isn't keen to sell $36 tickets to Florida. I think Spriit is still below $100 roundtrip for some days, but you kind of get what you pay for with them.

JoeBagodonuts May 3, 2013 11:04 am

Originally Posted by kamishiro (Post 20689141)
Some people actually like, fly internationally on major carriers and not just domestic LCCs, you know.

i concur

not everyone is going to know the difference between the air tran and spirit codes LOL sheesh

Happy May 3, 2013 8:01 pm

In January I ticketed identical itinerary on AA to be flown in May, except it is $92+$21.80 $72 all-in is indeed an astonishing fare.

jasonvr May 4, 2013 1:07 am

Originally Posted by kamishiro (Post 20689141)

Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts (Post 20693417)
i concur

not everyone is going to know the difference between the air tran and spirit codes LOL sheesh

Just for these purposes, FT does have a handy-dandy glossary
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/gloss...tterSelected=F

And just to be clear, FL is an LCC, but it is not purely domestic. It services several international destinations (though not far flung). And when combined with its parent WN, it had the third largest passenger volume in the world for 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_largest_airlines

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George May 4, 2013 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 20695436)
In January I ticketed identical itinerary on AA to be flown in May, except it is $92+$21.80 $72 all-in is indeed an astonishing fare.

Every time I have tried to price out FLL or PBI to an East Coast city with an ORD or DFW connection it has come out to a $500+ fare.