KL: IAH-JNB/CPT starting @ $735ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KL: IAH-JNB/CPT starting @ $735ai

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: DL DM
Everyone should stay alert on their trip, even in Cape Town. A teenage bum followed me from the waterfront all the way to my hotel, park inn radisson, asking me for money and did not take no for an answer. The locals specifically told me in no way shape or form that I should give money to the beggars, so I obliged. The only way to get rid of him was to walk into my hotel.

Then on Saturday night on Long street, I was bumped and had my phone stolen out of my pocket. I didn't realize it until I got to my taxi.

I've traveled around the world to many exotic to somewhat dangerous places, and have never really been a victim to crime until now. I'm a big guy too, 6'6 245lbs, and I was still targeted. Oh well, at least the people I met there were really nice and wonderful. It's just the street people you have to be aware of.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:30 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by bsagator
Everyone should stay alert on their trip, even in Cape Town. A teenage bum followed me from the waterfront all the way to my hotel, park inn radisson, asking me for money and did not take no for an answer. The locals specifically told me in no way shape or form that I should give money to the beggars, so I obliged. The only way to get rid of him was to walk into my hotel.

Then on Saturday night on Long street, I was bumped and had my phone stolen out of my pocket. I didn't realize it until I got to my taxi.

I've traveled around the world to many exotic to somewhat dangerous places, and have never really been a victim to crime until now. I'm a big guy too, 6'6 245lbs, and I was still targeted. Oh well, at least the people I met there were really nice and wonderful. It's just the street people you have to be aware of.
Long Street is most definitively a organized pick pocket crew area, even with a public safety officer stationed at every corner. I had a gang try to size me up, two distractions and the blocker and I saw it from a mile away.

I also had someone try the New Orleans "Guess where my shoes were made" scam crap.

I prefer the rural - touring routes and the posh areas of Cape Town. I regret staying near Long Street.
Old May 29, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by bsagator
I had the same thing happen last year walking back from the waterfront to my hotel. One guy wouldn't take a polite no for an answer so I got right in his face and screamed at him to get the F out of my face. I may have looked a little psycho at that point. It worked. He quickly went the other way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.