Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN sale: $49, $89 etc. Matches?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
ua has matched sfo-san for $49 one way. not a MR, but a great price! could not figure out how to add lax as a connection and keep the price. but lots of availability. nice weekend trip.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
For now, Delta is countering SWA's $49 nonstops ex-MSP with $70 fares. I have a voucher to burn so it is tempting but expect that Delta will match AA/UA if they go for a true match of SWA.

Tonight is calendar clearing only, tomorrow afternoon will be booking.
Wouldn't be holding my breath for a DL match of the $49ai price point. That is less than $40 pre-tax and DL seems pretty disciplined. I think they will gladly pass on the $49 junk and let WN/FL/UA/AA take it. The sale appears to only be valid from April to early June and requires 21 day advance purchase so I really doubt you will see the $49 price point anywhere from DL. Filling planes 2-4 months in advance with $49 fares isn't the best strategy as I can guarantee that is far below the true cost per seat and would put a lot of yield pressure on the flights.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: Skyteam
DL matched with $59 in some markets.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
For now, Delta is countering SWA's $49 nonstops ex-MSP with $70 fares. I have a voucher to burn so it is tempting but expect that Delta will match AA/UA if they go for a true match of SWA.

Tonight is calendar clearing only, tomorrow afternoon will be booking.
DL is also matching (actually, beating) NYC-ORD, with $140 r/t ai, NYC-STL for $178 ai

Neither quite MR material alas, even with creative routing
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Wouldn't be holding my breath for a DL match of the $49ai price point. That is less than $40 pre-tax and DL seems pretty disciplined. I think they will gladly pass on the $49 junk and let WN/FL/UA/AA take it. The sale appears to only be valid from April to early June and requires 21 day advance purchase so I really doubt you will see the $49 price point anywhere from DL. Filling planes 2-4 months in advance with $49 fares isn't the best strategy as I can guarantee that is far below the true cost per seat and would put a lot of yield pressure on the flights.
(emphasis mine)
What information do you have they are filling planes with $49 fares?
They likely are capacity controlling how many tickets at this price point.
In fact, my search of a few markets shows Southwest isn't even offering (or "sold out") this sale on some flights, even midweek!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
there are possible victories out there for segment runners, for instance UA SAN-LAX-SMF is $120 select dates in April and beyond, $30 a segment. usually this route is around $175-200.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DBCme
(emphasis mine)
What information do you have they are filling planes with $49 fares?
They likely are capacity controlling how many tickets at this price point.
In fact, my search of a few markets shows Southwest isn't even offering (or "sold out") this sale on some flights, even midweek!
I was about say the same thing. In fact, UA created a special fare bucket a couple years ago pretty much just for this type of sale..... G. And it can be very thin.

But hey, if somebody wants to believe that DL is smarter than the competition, so be it.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
AA has matched between AUS and DFW.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Yesterday ALB-ORF priced out at $380 on SWA, today $151 score!!!!^
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: Too many to list
any good deals out of dallas on AA or UA ?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Spring break campus tour!!

Originally Posted by ddrost1
there are possible victories out there for segment runners, for instance UA SAN-LAX-SMF is $120 select dates in April and beyond, $30 a segment. usually this route is around $175-200.
This sale is just perfect for me to take my son for campus tours during the Spring break. Of course, the segment runners will be very happy if they live in the east coast because those cities are very close to each other. For example, I booked BWI-BOS-PIT-BWI (6 segments) on UA for $204.40 or $34 per segment. You will be a 1K after spending $4088 (or less if you encounter some IRROPS).
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
any good deals out of dallas on AA or UA ?
I am actually seeing some UA fares (around ~$160ai) out of DFW to a number of cities....

Samples:
May 1-4 DFW-IAH-SEA-IAH-DFW $164ai
May 1-4 DAL-IAH-BOS-IAH-DAL $164ai

-some solid deals out there....check city pairs you may be interested in....
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
I am actually seeing some UA fares (around ~$160ai) out of DFW to a number of cities....

Samples:
May 1-4 DFW-IAH-SEA-IAH-DFW $164ai
May 1-4 DAL-IAH-BOS-IAH-DAL $164ai

-some solid deals out there....check city pairs you may be interested in....
You can actually do DFW-IAH-PDX-IAH-DFW on some dates for $153ai. At 3.7cpm (with minimums) that is MR material.

Or even better on DFW-IAH-SEA-IAH-DFW for 3.3cpm (with minimums).

Last edited by Europeanexplorer; Feb 6, 2013 at 9:45 am Reason: Correction: its even cheaper
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, Hyatt, Marriott
UA has matched the DEN-SEA run at $119 O/W or $238 RT but only on direct flights -- the mileage-adding SFO connection is still $311 or $155.50 O/W
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:41 am
Community Director Emerita

AA has matched SAN-ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.