Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki/How-To/FAQ: Start here if this is your first time visiting this thread
If you have done this trip please help improve the wiki!

Why would a DL SkyPesos member do this now that RDMs are earned on ticket cost?

Either for the MQMs, or to actually visit SIN FWIW there are posts in the thread about similar itineraries on AA.

How do I search for dates/prices?

One way is to use ITA Matrix. Click on "Advanced routing codes" and enter something along the lines of:
  • outbound: dl+ dtw nrt
  • inbound: dl+ nrt dtw

NOTE: Basic Economy (E) fares have been spotted on this route and come with heavy restrictions. If you want to exclude E fares from your search you can add f ~bc=e in the separate "extension codes" box

See post 1329 for some screenshots (which are now out of date, the routing codes and extension code have been split into two separate input boxes)

You may wish to experiment with things like dtw,atl or x or even x+. Read the advanced routing codes help for more ideas. (DL no longer flies JFK-NRT nonstop)

I found an itinerary that works for me, how do I book it?
  • you can try a multi-city booking on Kayak or Google Flights and click through to Delta (you can save some effort by omitting the implicit/forced connection through NRT for example)
  • if you are comfortable installing add-ons etc. you can use the ITA userscript (see the wiki at the top of that thread)
  • for the less technically-inclined there is also the Book with Matrix helper site (and its related FT thread)
  • call in if none of the above methods work or e.g. you want to add a stopover

Do I need a visa?

No visa is needed for transits (or in fact for visiting up to 90 days, subject to qualifications)
You can get your boarding passes for your Delta return flight at Transit Lounge D, which opens 3 hours before departure.

What are the best seats?

Assuming you're stuck in Y (no GUCs etc.)
Picking a seat (Delta One, Boeing 777)
Master A330-300 (A333) Best Seats Thread

Will there be wifi on the international legs?

DL now touts International Wi-Fi is available on 100% of all wide body, long-haul aircraft providing near global coverage. Given "long-haul" this may not apply to NRT-SIN.

777s should all have wifi: thread #1, thread #2; although it is still subject to coverage/availability, seems to drop out in the far northern parts of the route, and coming down the Russian coast it seemed like http was slow but working and anything else like https took forever and/or was blocked

Delta doesn't seem to sell the Gogo global day pass on their web site but you can buy it directly from Gogo. You can use the same pass on both domestic and international flights in any order as long as it is within 24 hours.

FlexPerks VISA single-flight passes can NOT be used on international flights (they do not appear as a redemption choice when you sign in to Gogo in flight)

Other related threads:

Delta 763 International Wifi Installation Progress (especially posts #7 and #9)

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

SIN airport facilities

If you are doing a quick turn, you can remain airside the whole time. There are a number of 24-hour food outlets in the transit mall areas (center of each terminal)

Each of the 3 terminals has their Transit Hotel on Level 3. Prices are similar for all:
-Terminal 1 - Plaza Premium Lounge recently opened Aerotel. Book at: Aerotel Terminal 1
-Terminal 2 and 3 - Harilela Hospitality runs an Ambassador Transit Hotel in each Terminal, above the Orchid Garden and Movie Theater, respectively. Book at: Ambassador Transit Hotels

Note that you can actually stay in either of the 3, regardless of which Terminal you arrive in. However, when leaving the airport, you need to exit through the same Terminal as that you arrived in.

FT thread on Singapore Airport Lounges

Airport website links:
NOTE: even though the DNATA Sky View lounge lists "Delta Airlines" on the airport web page and appears on a skyteam.com lounge search, it is considered by Delta to be third-party-operated, thus if you are STE+ in Y you will not have access. People have reported gaining access on an upgrade to J but YMMV.

There is free wifi either by receiving a text message code, or by scanning your passport. Previous posts mention just giving an email address, maybe try at the info desks. There are also free Internet stations.

NOTE for U.S. and other ~110V travelers: Singapore uses 230V/50Hz. There are plenty of USB charging ports in the seating areas, and most wall adapters for electronics these days are dual voltage (look for writing on the plug like "Input: 100V-240V") but if not or if you need to plug something else in, bring plug and voltage adapters to be safe.

Things to do in SIN

In descriptions of things to see/do airside, when you see "garden" read "smoking area" especially if you won't be there during daylight, the only other main reason people go there is to smoke.

SkyTrain between terminals runs from 5am-2:30am but you can always walk between any of the terminals as well.

Little More than 24 Hours in Singapore especially post #5 in that thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25605453-post1047.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24452870-post836.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24064053-post794.html
Best practices for ~5 hour turnaround at SIN
3 perfect days in Singapore
Singapore's MRT (Mass Rapid Transit)
Destinations > Asia > Singapore FT forum
cheap transportation to Marina Bay Sands (or any hotel) for S$9

Things to do on a long connection through NRT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24426838-post835.html

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

There is free wifi in NRT.

Returning to the US

Even if you don't have Global Entry, CBP has a Mobile Passport Control app -- see program info and app website for d/l and list of participating airports which includes ATL (but not DTW)

You will have to pick up checked bags if any, and then everyone has to go through TSA security. International connections usually have their own checkpoint but it may not have PreCheck or CLEAR. If you want to take advantage of either of these, see airport-specific info below.

Through Delta's partnership CLEAR is free for DM, $79 for other Medallions, and $99 for General Members. Click here for more info on the partnership or to sign up.

Relevant FT threads:
Returning via ATL:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

CLEAR is now open in ATL but only at the domestic end.

For PreCheck, if you arrive in F, when you exit the hallway from customs there is a ticket desk in front of you. Normally the belt for re-checking bags on the left, and TSA screening beyond that. For PreCheck turn instead to the right (away from the drop-off luggage belt) and exit into the arrivals area, go up the escalators, and then you use the regular F terminal security checkpoint.

(It seems like NRT-ATL usually lands in E though... anyone have info to share?)

Returning via DTW:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

When you exit customs normally you are directed to the right for rescreening. For PreCheck or CLEAR exit to the left as if you are an local Detroit arriving passenger and you will see some escalators in front of you. Go up 3 sets of escalators (there is a security checkpoint after the 2nd set but it does not have PreCheck). There is also an elevator.

The configuration as of Jan 2017 was, CLEAR without PreCheck was near the top of the escalators. If you have both CLEAR and PreCheck, there is a separate CLEAR lane on the right.

Duty Free Liquids

This post from 2014 says liquor etc must be checked as they cannot pass through screening in NRT/TSA. However this may have changed since then, and duty-free purchases in a Sealed Tamper-Evident Bag (STEB) might be permitted:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/secu...ection_ss.html

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

FT: Bringing Duty-Free Liquids into USA with a Connecting Flight

If you have any experience with this, please share!

IRROPS handling:

Good at least for one DM: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21923836-post7.html

Trip Reports/Tips:

2016: Dec, Nov, Oct #1, Oct #2, Oct #3, Sep, Apr, Feb

2015: Nov #1, Nov #2, Oct, Sep

2014: Dec, Nov #1, Nov #2, Nov #3, Nov #4, Nov #5, Oct, Sep #1, Sep #2

2013: Oct
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by TVSportsGuy
You know what...I've read that Delta Skymiles 2015 info page a bunch of times...and for some reason, despite reading that info, I never fully processed it.

I'm more concerned about maintaining Silver status or getting higher up than I am about earning miles to cash in for free tickets...that's just where I'm at right now. So by your explanation (and what I read), this would be good, because I'd earn 25,000 MQM (basically already Silver...need more $ spent) but would only get 7,000 redeemable.
The MQMs only matter if you can also make the MQDs (or do the Amex thing, but is that realistic for very many people, and is it the best use of $25K in credit card spend?). The drastically cut RDMs are pretty outrageous, as they make miles almost a non-factor. Might as well wait for another Etihad mistake fare....heck, you could credit only AUH-SIN-AUH to AA and possibly have more RDMs. Or play the credit card churn game.

It IS very confusing, though, and if it's confusing people here then chances are that people who don't follow all this as closely are really in the dark. Maybe that's DL's intent. Though it could look odd for a lot of people to see a lot more MQMs than RDMs when they're used to the latter being greater than or equal to the former. MQMs don't buy upgrades or get free tickets and may just expire worthless if not matched by MQDs.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Silver
Originally Posted by RustyC
The MQMs only matter if you can also make the MQDs (or do the Amex thing, but is that realistic for very many people, and is it the best use of $25K in credit card spend?). The drastically cut RDMs are pretty outrageous, as they make miles almost a non-factor. Might as well wait for another Etihad mistake fare....heck, you could credit only AUH-SIN-AUH to AA and possibly have more RDMs. Or play the credit card churn game.

It IS very confusing, though, and if it's confusing people here then chances are that people who don't follow all this as closely are really in the dark. Maybe that's DL's intent. Though it could look odd for a lot of people to see a lot more MQMs than RDMs when they're used to the latter being greater than or equal to the former. MQMs don't buy upgrades or get free tickets and may just expire worthless if not matched by MQDs.

I'm aware of the $$ requirement as well. And I don't have a good and/or easy answer to that. I might do the credit card, but as the year goes on, hitting $25,000 becomes tougher. I'm also based at MSP...so I could theoretically do a bunch of $100 runs to ORD or somewhere else close, just to spend the money. I haven't solved that yet. Getting over the mileage hump is just part of the puzzle.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2.6 MM
Smile Mqm mqd rdm

RDM harder to come by this year, MQM still necessary to get the level you want. The easiest way to take care of the MQD is with the AMX $25,000 spend, charge everything you can to AMX as long as you pay it off every month, if you have a business it is a little easier. I don't do the manufactured spend that some of the blogs talk about but if you have trouble making the $25,000 minimum you might have to take a look at some of them Delta Points and also Frugal Travel Guy are two that might be of help. I pay all the bills I can with them, cell phone, insurance utility, charitable donations (I use Flex Perks, the old NW card, Visa, you get triple points for every $1 donated, and wherever AMX is not accepted I use that card). The points From the FlexPerks card can be used to buy DL tickets or for positioning flights to make a MR. Have even used it to pay for my MR to SIN and that card pays the fare you are charged including taxes etc, My son likes AA platinum and almost all his trips he ends up in J which is better than I do with DL. If anyone else has comments please post. Will post SFO fares afer I buy some tickets tonight.

Happy Travels! Please get your flu shots! Cheers!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Fares Jan 17 SFO and LAX Dep

Fares from Google.com/flights

SFO Dep 25,318 MQM SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO

$938 ai 3.7 cpm Jan 26-29, Feb 2-5, 23-26, Mar 2-5, Apr 13-16 BEST FARES
$971 ai 3.83 cpm Apr 27-30, May 4-7, 11-14, 18-21, Jun 8-11
$1064 ai 4.20 cpm Mar 23-26, Apr 20-23, Jun 1-4
$1086 ai 4.29 cpm Apr 6-9
$1110 ai 4.38 cpm May 25-28
Other dates thru Jun 30 higher

LAX Dep 25,096 MQM LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX
$928 ai 3.7 cpm Mar 2-5, Apr 27-30, May 4-7, 11-14, 18-21 BEST FARES
$988 ai 3.94 cpm Jan 26-29, Feb 2-5, 9-12
$1018 ai 4.06 cpm Jun 1-4
$1047 ai 4.17 cpm Jan 19-22, Mar 23-26
Other dates thru Jun 30 higher

Some good fares available. Be sure you understand difference between MQM and RDM as on these fares you won't be getting many RDM. The days of 56,000 RDM are gone unless you are flying in J and paying the higher fares?

Happy Travels! Bad flu season, if you haven't gotten your flu shot, get it. The life you save could be your own or that of family member or a loved one! Cheers!

Last edited by Csfing1; Jan 18, 2015 at 12:54 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Smile Fares on Jan 26 LAX dep - Fare Feb 2-5 is super 25,096 MQM 3.39 cpm

LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX 25,096 MQM

Fares from Google.com/flights
$851 ai 3.39 cpm Feb 2-5 Really super fare! Won't be around for long.
$928 ai 3.7 cpm Apr 27-30, Jun 1-4
$937 ai 3.73 cpm Apr 13-16
$988 ai 3.94 cpm Mar 23-26
$1018 ai 4.06 cpm May 4-7, 18-21, jun 8-11
$1027 ai 4.09 cpm Apr 20-23

Other dates higher

Happy Travels! Get your Flu shot! Cheers!!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Smile Too good to pass up!

Too good to pass up, booked 2 tickets tonight for self and wife, deal is even better as we had $450 in travel vouchers so tickets cost even less 25,096 MQM for $625.10 ai 2.49 cpm per person.

Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Csfing1
Too good to pass up, booked 2 tickets tonight for self and wife, deal is even better as we had $450 in travel vouchers so tickets cost even less 25,096 MQM for $625.10 ai 2.49 cpm per person.

Nice! Im still eyeing dates and trying to fit a run in around my work schedule, got several left over vouchers to make it dirt cheap. What really sucks now is that PMs arent eligible for upgrades on the LAX-JFK legs anymore no beds for the redeyes
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Smile Fares on Jan 26 SFO Dep Lowest price from LAX, see earlier post

25,318 MQM SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO

Fares froom Google.com/flights

$938 ai 3.7 cpm Feb 2-5, Apr 13-16 Lowest price from SFO
$971 ai 3.84 cpm Apr 27-30, May 11-14
$975 ai 3.85 cpm Jun 1-4
$985 ai 3.89 cpm May 25-28
$1001 ai 3.95 cpm Mar 23-26
$1064 ai 4.20 cpm Apr 20-23, May 4-7, Jun 8-11
$1086 ai 4.29 cpm Apt 6-9

Happy Travels! Get your Flu shot! Cheers!

Last edited by Csfing1; Feb 6, 2015 at 4:22 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Nice! Im still eyeing dates and trying to fit a run in around my work schedule, got several left over vouchers to make it dirt cheap. What really sucks now is that PMs arent eligible for upgrades on the LAX-JFK legs anymore no beds for the redeyes
Make the run with us! 3 days! Timing is great, if I hadn't checked fares tonight, would have missed it. Cheers!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Smile Awesome prices next week! LAX Dep

LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX 25,096 MQM

$850 ai 3.39 cpm Feb 1-4, 2-5 BEST PRICE!!
$886 ai 3.53 cpm Jan 31-Feb 3, Feb 3-6
$1002 ai 3.99 cpm Feb 8-11
$$1017 ai 4.05 cpm Feb 4-7, 6-9, 7-10
$1047 ai 4.17 cpm Feb 5-8

Happy Travels! Get your Flu shot! Cheers
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Fares Feb 1 LAX Dep for next 5 days

LAX Dep LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX 25,096 MQM

Flying for status MQM not RDM

$850 ai 3.39 cpm Feb 1-4
$1159 ai 4.62 cpm Feb 2-5
$886 ai 3.53 cpm Feb 3-6
$1017 ai 4.05 cpm Feb 4-7, 6-9
$1047 ai 4.17 cpm Feb 5-8, 7-10

Happy Travels! Get your Flu shot! Cheers!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Csfing1
Make the run with us! 3 days! Timing is great, if I hadn't checked fares tonight, would have missed it. Cheers!
Im thinking its prob going ot be later in the month, ive got a vacation to mexico im booking, prob fly the run, then get home and sleep a night, then head right to CUN
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Tonight's Flight and MR begins at 2327

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Im thinking its prob going ot be later in the month, ive got a vacation to mexico im booking, prob fly the run, then get home and sleep a night, then head right to CUN
Have a great vacation and a great MR, wish you would be coming with us tonight!

Happy Travels! Get you Flu shot! Cheers!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Smile Enroute - 1 UG

Good news, as I checked in last night at LAX after giving the GA my boarding pass, I was handed a slip of paper that said 1A so was able to move forward, flight delayed dep at LAX and delayed arrival at 0830 but dep for NRT till 1157, am told that coach is oversold and they are looking for volunteers to go later, will see what happens. Hopefully an UG but that is my optimistic outlook. It was worth it last night as I called in 6 hrs before boarding time and asked to be put on list for UG even though was listed as full and was told I couldn't be put on the list until they verified my passport, confirmed at SC in LAX but changed at gate as someone did not show up.
Have a Great Day! Happy Travels! Cheers!
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Great so far, 2 segments to go!

Leaving for JFK in 40 min. Great so far, didn't meet any MRers in SIN.

Have a great day! Cheers!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.