FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   DL/KL: DCA-IST ($458.50 a/i, 3.5 CPM) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/1427313-dl-kl-dca-ist-458-50-i-3-5-cpm.html)

WhoDeyWesley Jan 13, 2013 11:13 am

DL/KL: DCA-IST ($458.50 a/i, 3.5 CPM)

DCA > MSP > AMS > IST > AMS > MSP > DCA
12,977 miles. Bookable on delta.dumb

Sample dates:
2/15-2/18 - I am choosing to stay an extra day in IST and see the sights, but it looks like you could turn around on Sunday if you choose. Anyone have recommendations for fun in IST, or pro tips for the airports in AMS or IST?

RFDMinnesota Jan 13, 2013 2:26 pm

Anyway to work in a stopover in AMS or CDG?

garygleck Jan 13, 2013 2:44 pm

IST recommendation...

Originally Posted by WhoDeyWesley (Post 20038230)

Sample dates:
2/15-2/18 - I am choosing to stay an extra day in IST and see the sights, but it looks like you could turn around on Sunday if you choose. Anyone have recommendations for fun in IST, or pro tips for the airports in AMS or IST?

First, don't forget there is small entrance/visa fee that you pay at the airport. Second, I strongly suggest getting Rick Steves guide to maximize your time in a great city. Do NOT waste your time taking a river cruise to the Black Sea. ONe of the lesser attractions that was alot of fun was the Roman Cistern. Personally, I liked the Spice Market better than the more touristy Grand Bazaar. It is best to stay in the old town for such a short visit as there is not much to see in the new town that you cannot see in almost any major European city...

Burj Jan 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Interesting...I can find this on kayak but can NOT seem to bring it up using matrix.ita.com

xihuang91 Jan 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Burj (Post 20039695)
Interesting...I can find this on kayak but can NOT seem to bring it up using matrix.ita.com

Routines can vary via DTW, ATL, JFK on either outbound and inbound, works for me on ITA.

benzemalyonnais Jan 13, 2013 3:35 pm

You can just find it in ITA easily - it's been around for a couple of weeks now, matching the TK offer. It's about 50$ more from NYC

ITA allows 4 flights in each direction, although the 4th flight doesn't net many more miles. Use routing codes to find the one that works best for you, and plug it into DL.smart using multi-city.

weekendroady Jan 14, 2013 7:10 am

Check out viator.com, they are still selling lower priced tours for that weekend for a few more days. You can also take a day trip all the way out to Troy, but I hear they give you only about an hour or so on the site. It's more of a Western Turkey bus tour/Troy stopover.

redrobster Jan 14, 2013 8:06 am

I did this run from JFK last November. IST is an amazing city, and if prices stay at ~$500, this route might become my mileage run of choice in the future. Hotels are plentiful, reasonably priced, and the historical sights in the city as well as the food are fantastic.

I did 3 nights, so I had a bit more flexibility. But with limited time and as a first timer, I would say see the key sites (blue mosque, tokapi palace, basilica cistern, spice market) and get some good food. My two favorite experiences were actually taking a traditional turkish bath http://www.suleymaniyehamami.com.tr/ (not 100% authentic and catered towards tourists, but less intense of an experience and it's co-ed so my gf felt less uncomfortable), and if you're interested in trying new foods at all, taking a food tour in Beyoglu http://istanbuleats.com/walks-2/

Enjoy IST!

TacomaRick Jan 14, 2013 9:47 am

I posted in the other thread too, but I'll post here...I am AK so I saw the DL rate at $440, but flights are actually on KLM. Both are partners of AK but the DL flight numbers dont match up to being eligble? If I book directly through KLM it gives me same exact flights and the KLM flight numbers are eligble, but price climbs to over $600. Don't want to book and then get screwed on the miles

THEsocalledfan Jan 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Anyone have recommendations for fun in IST, or pro tips for the airports in AMS or IST?

I did two hard core runs to IST last year; one was a 2 hour turn and the other was a 6 hour turn.

IST airport is pretty nice. On my first run, I hung out at the Mellenium Lounge which which is what Delta status gets you. Not that great and no shower. This last time, when I had 6 hours there, I used my Lounge Club from my Ink Bold to go to the CIP VIP Lounge; much nicer (not great, but nicer) and had a shower which I used. Remember, you get two free visits a year on Lounge Club.

Another tip if you do a hard core run, try to sweet talk someone to give you a return boarding pass before you get there. If you can pull it off, you can avoid the $20 Visa and use the transiting areas. Otherwise, you have to enter the country formally. I pulled it off on my second run with a cute Alitalia club agent when in Rome......

Be advised I would not recommend the two hour turn I did (and I had to enter the country that time!), but I did pull it off. :)

arthurhs Jan 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Just arrived at IST for a 2-hr turn, was supposed to be longer, but a snow storm in AMS held things up. You don't need a visa, I got my boarding pass at the Transfer desk and then proceeded to the Millennium Lounge.

msp2msy Jan 22, 2013 11:28 am

Sample dates:

I'm in. It's 2/15 to 2/17 for me on IAD-DTW-AMS(12 hour layover)-IST(5 hours)-AMS-IAD for me. Almost a pure mileage run but plenty of time to get into Amsterdam for my first time outside the airport there. AMS had better timing for me so I'll be sleeping in IST for my 4-5 hour overnight transfer. And my wife said I wasn't allowed to go to Istanbul for a trip without her. Nor could I talk her into coming on this one.

Since I was booking an award to a Delta hub anyway, I was able to redo that award so that IAD is the destination and my trip to the DL hub became a stopover on my way home. Perfect as my positioning costs were just $5 in extra taxes for the extra award segments.

A net of $.04 CPM inclusive of positioning costs is about as good as things get when you're based in MSY.

Thanks for posting this! I like getting a MR in early in the year.

Originally Posted by arthurhs (Post 20090449)
Just arrived at IST for a 2-hr turn, was supposed to be longer, but a snow storm in AMS held things up. You don't need a visa, I got my boarding pass at the Transfer desk and then proceeded to the Millennium Lounge.

Great, great suggestion. I've not had a lot of luck with KL staff deviating from procedure. They're nice enough but never seemed terribly flexible so the thought of talking the staff in AMS into printing my return boarding passes seemed unlikely to work.

kmwjes Jan 22, 2013 2:06 pm

Not a thoroughbred mileage run, but could be a nice vacation to IST: February 17 departure only with many dates available February 25 onward. $399 a/i, nonstop iad/ist bookable on turkishairline. Class G so earns 100% UAL. $36.50 base fare. Seems to offer 25% discount on child fare, not much considering the base.

Orion Jan 22, 2013 2:54 pm

more IST for me

I just got back from IST yesterday evening: DCA-DTW-AMS-IST-AMS-DTW-DCA. I spent two nights in the city at the Doubletree Old Town. My friend spent three nights and is due home tonight. The only problem I had was having to leave IST at 5:55 a.m. It meant an expensive taxi ride from the city. The next visit I will spend at least my last night at an airport hotel. I love this city and look forward to returning.

bartmas777 Jan 22, 2013 6:31 pm

I'm in for 2/15-2/17... IAD-MSP-AMS-IST and back the same routing. I called the DM line to get the KLM locator and the agent starting giggling. I said yes, I was only going to be there for 5 hours. She jokingly asked how I had cheated and got such a cheap fare. Nice.:D