FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   UA: SEA-HKG, 5.1 cpm, 1-2 night turn, few scattered dates in Feb/Mar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/1418202-ua-sea-hkg-5-1-cpm-1-2-night-turn-few-scattered-dates-feb-mar.html)

SeatacRefugee Dec 16, 2012 10:31 pm

UA: SEA-HKG, 5.1 cpm, 1-2 night turn, few scattered dates in Feb/Mar

$773, via SFO, 15,184 eqm.

Mine departs on 3/3 (UA1560, 0869), returning 3/5 (UA0862, 0322).

Some dates on the ita matrix seem to go via NRT for fewer miles though. Haven't done an exhaustive search to see how many.

For my first MR post, I realize this isn't a stellar value. It seems a little above average on the haphazard schedule I do it on so I thought I should share.

lax2010 Dec 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by SeatacRefugee (Post 19870598)
$773, via SFO, 15,184 eqm.

Mine departs on 3/3 (UA1560, 0869), returning 3/5 (UA0862, 0322).

Some dates on the ita matrix seem to go via NRT for fewer miles though. Haven't done an exhaustive search to see how many.

For my first MR post, I realize this isn't a stellar value. It seems a little above average on the haphazard schedule I do it on so I thought I should share.

Thanks for posting! While it is not extreme MR material, it is not bad for a TPAC fare to HKG :-)

hard2please Dec 17, 2012 6:30 am

This is so funny! I actually booked this exact fare about a week ago, but not as a mileage run. I was looking to go to Bangkok in January and this fare had better dates (for me) and was about $90 cheaper. (Of course, I'll use at least that much to get from HKG to BKK, but I'll get a chance to see Hong Kong first...) :D

lax2010 Dec 17, 2012 6:55 am

Originally Posted by hard2please (Post 19871816)
This is so funny! I actually booked this exact fare about a week ago, but not as a mileage run. I was looking to go to Bangkok in January and this fare had better dates (for me) and was about $90 cheaper. (Of course, I'll use at least that much to get from HKG to BKK, but I'll get a chance to see Hong Kong first...) :D

It would have been nice if you (hard2please) posted it about a week ago even in the "Good Deals" thread then I would have booked the JetBlue 12/12/12 $12 fare as a reposition flight to SEA to take advantage of this HKG fare! :-(

Thank you, OP, for posting!

hard2please Dec 17, 2012 7:27 am

Originally Posted by lax2010 (Post 19871892)
It would have been nice if you (hard2please) posted it about a week ago even in the "Good Deals" thread then I would have booked the JetBlue 12/12/12 $12 fare as a reposition flight to SEA to take advantage of this HKG fare! :-(

Thank you, OP, for posting!

Sorry, it never occurred to me to post this fare; it didn't seem that great compared to other fares that are posted here. Certainly not worth repositioning for (who could have forseen that $12 fare?)

AeroWesty Dec 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Hmm, I missed seeing that this thread was here when I posted this fare in the Good Deals thread. The inventory loaded for this fare has gone from "a few scattered dates" to available on what I'd say is the majority of the dates when this fare is valid. Most of it mid-Jan through end of April, Sunday through Thursday.

There are even routes available on select dates via SFO-HNL-GUM outbound, NRT-LAX on the return, which net 17,200 miles for a CPM of about 4.7˘. Routing via LAX puts you on the 787 when it takes over that route if that's of interest.

bworrell Dec 25, 2012 8:34 am

For just slightly less miles you can fly the 787 on ANA.

Any other outbound cities available with a similar fare?

AeroWesty Dec 25, 2012 10:42 am

Okay, so I've figured out how to do this without an overnight at HKG.

Sample found on united.com (but doesn't price this way on ITA):

16,586 miles, $759.60, 4.58 CPM, Fare code: KLX7ZCM1

Mar 3 SEA-SFO-HKG (arrives Mar 4)
Mar 4 HKG-GUM (arrives Mar 5)
Mar 5 GUM-HNL-SFO-SEA (arrives Mar 5)

itsme Dec 25, 2012 11:05 am

Originally Posted by AeroWesty (Post 19916993)
Hmm, I missed seeing that this thread was here when I posted this fare in the Good Deals thread. The inventory loaded for this fare has gone from "a few scattered dates" to available on what I'd say is the majority of the dates when this fare is valid. Most of it mid-Jan through end of April, Sunday through Thursday.

There are even routes available on select dates via SFO-HNL-GUM outbound, NRT-LAX on the return, which net 17,200 miles for a CPM of about 4.7˘. Routing via LAX puts you on the 787 when it takes over that route if that's of interest.

Interesting to hear, "The inventory loaded for this fare has gone from 'a few scattered dates' to available on what I'd say is the majority of the dates when this fare is valid." That means that UA wasn't seeing their targets met for number of seats sold, so they (or their computers) decided to release more cheap seats inventory rather than see those seats go unsold. (Bad business to let seats go unsold, even if they must "discount" them to get them sold.)

So if one has an itinerary in mind, they should re-check the fares that were too high previously, because there is the possibility that cheaper seats will open? I see hugely expensive fares to HNL in Jan and Feb except for one day each month that are very low, so I should keep looking to see if UA gives up on selling seats at those lofty prices and offers them cheaper? What are the websites that will watch for cheaper fares for a given intercity pair on a particular airline? (It's all about re-qualifying as a UA elite for me.)

AeroWesty Dec 25, 2012 11:30 am

We don't know how the OP searched for this fare—perhaps forming an opinion by the number red/orange highlighted "lowest priced days" appearing on the calendar at ITA, or hunting/pecking on united.com, or by some other means. What I did was to read the fare rules for the date range it was valid, then re-ran my ITA search using the specific fare bucket to see when the fare was offered in that period.

Re-checking fares is always, always, a good idea. Any number of websites will send you general fare alerts when a fare is published for a particular city pair, but none of the popular free ones I'm familiar with will narrow it down to the level you appear to want. Specialized sites, such as ExpertFlyer, are able, as far as I know, to send you alerts when specific inventory becomes available on specific dates. Perhaps others more familiar with EF and KVS could pipe in with what those sites offer for alerts in more detail (I don't use them myself).

hard2please Dec 25, 2012 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by bworrell (Post 19918200)
For just slightly less miles you can fly the 787 on ANA.

It depends on who you're crediting your miles to. Be careful with ANA. The only reason I didn't choose the routing with the 787 on my upcoming trip to HKG was that it wouldn't credit 100% to USAirways :td: I would love to have tried out the 787 on this trip.

hard2please Dec 25, 2012 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by AeroWesty (Post 19918611)
Okay, so I've figured out how to do this without an overnight at HKG.

Sample found on united.com (but doesn't price this way on ITA):

16,586 miles, $759.60, 4.58 CPM, Fare code: KLX7ZCM1

Mar 3 SEA-SFO-HKG (arrives Mar 4)
Mar 4 HKG-GUM (arrives Mar 5)
Mar 5 GUM-HNL-SFO-SEA (arrives Mar 5)

Wow, I hope you're not doing this in Y! It sounds grueling...

hearna Dec 25, 2012 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by hard2please (Post 19919961)

Well; as a K fare is not upgradeable... you do the maths :P

AeroWesty Dec 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Oh, I didn't claim I was going to do it, just that I finally figured out how to do it if someone didn't want the expense to overnight (or sleep on the floor at HKG).

itsme Dec 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Grueling perhaps for the likes of me, who finds a 5K+ transcon in the course of a day punishing, but probably good "fun" for some young gonzo MRers.