Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: IAH-IST $538ai

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:17 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by lax2010
I don't understand you logic. If you do a same day turn without leaving the airport then you would have avoid all the troubles you described! So why do you against doing the same day turn?
Does UA have a transit counter in the transit area? I did not see it when I was there last September.

I had this problem with DL in SIN last Oct, because DL did not have a desk in the transit area, but good thing customs in SIN is a breeze and my layover was 5 hours.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:43 pm

Thank you so much for this posting about this wonderful air fare to Istanbul. Because of your post, I was fortunate enough to book a $538 flight. I do appreciate it!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:45 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID RAZR 4G Build/6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Sigh..LAS never gets anything like this. I would even take LAX at this point...although i know LAX has had similar in the past.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:32 pm

fare appears to be dead, cannot get it
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
It's just catatonic; this one seems to pop up from time to time.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:39 pm

its back on but for some reason i was only getting $ 798.00 K fares.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: United Premier
Thumbs up I just did a connex in IST

I just came thru IST as an international connection on Turkish Air. I was worried about 1.5 hours not being enough, but it was very efficient and I made it off the plane, through the security screening to go into the departure area, and to the departure gate in only about a half hour or less, and had an hour to visit a coffee shop and work on my computer. I was pleasantly surprised that it was fairly painless and I will be looking to use both TA and IST again. It was a superior product compared to my UA international flights and experience. If you are on the same plane, I think you would have plenty of time for a stress free turnaround.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP 2015, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Diamond Marriott Silver Alamo Budget Hertz
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
To be within the fare rules, you would have to depart EWR on a Saturday evening to return same day. It clearly uses the same aircraft back. You won't have any bags, obviously, and you would be near the front of the plane if you are already a Gold or above. But you would be at the vagaries of a Turkish customs line and a Turkish security line on the re-entry to airside.
If you can get a boarding pass prior to departing the states, there is no requirement to pay the $20 visa fee in Turkey. There are two transit processing points in the arrival level, so no need to go land side. The one closer to the higher gates numbers is a few steps away from the nice TK lounge if you are *G.

I did this twice this year each time never having to leave the airport.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: LT NoN REV
i thought 1.5 hours not enough time for a turn.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
I write this at the risk of ridicule...This is one of those posts that I really don't understand why people try so hard to get a ton of miles, then they get an opportunity for a mileage run to a great destination and they don't leave the airport?? I just don't get it. Are you guys just trying to build up miles for another great destination? Istanbul is fascinating--Turkey is one of my favorite countries. I can't imagine spending any amount of money, not to mention all that flying time, and not spending a couple of days to see one of the most historically significant cities in the world. You are really missing out if you don't get out of the airport in this case.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, MM
Originally Posted by hobo13
And not have the opportunity to visit the Turkish lounge, one of the best!
^^^ ditto! My absolute fav.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:45 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by Bohemiana
I write this at the risk of ridicule...This is one of those posts that I really don't understand why people try so hard to get a ton of miles, then they get an opportunity for a mileage run to a great destination and they don't leave the airport?? I just don't get it. Are you guys just trying to build up miles for another great destination? Istanbul is fascinating--Turkey is one of my favorite countries. I can't imagine spending any amount of money, not to mention all that flying time, and not spending a couple of days to see one of the most historically significant cities in the world. You are really missing out if you don't get out of the airport in this case.
+1. Especially since IST is so cheap. You could spend 3 days (2 full days) there and probably not break $120 for two people. Same when people were doing the ORD-BRU run in the spring. Brussels is an interesting city, and a short ride away from a few other amazing places (Brugges, for one)
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemiana
This is one of those posts that I really don't understand why people try so hard to get a ton of miles, then they get an opportunity for a mileage run to a great destination and they don't leave the airport?? I just don't get it.
People do mileage runs to earn/maintain status or to boost their spendable mileage balances with cheap miles. To some, that's worth buying. The turnaround point doesn't matter. It's not what drives the purchase.

Why that concept is so difficult for some to understand, I in turn will never understand. For a pure mileage run, IST is simply another runway and a gate on the way to a goal. It's not a destination.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA AA DL
IAH to IST in April @614.90 with many dates but with 3 days turnaround
For example:
Fri., Apr. 12, 2013 | Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) to Istanbul, Turkey (IST)
Depart:10:30 a.m. Fri., Apr. 12, 2013
Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)

Arrive:2:35 p.m. Fri., Apr. 12, 2013
Washington, DC (DCA - National)
Flight Time:3 hr 5 mn
Award Miles/Premier Qualifying*:1,208 /100%
Flight:UA1728
Aircraft: Boeing 737-700
Fare Class: United Economy (K)
Change Planes. Connect time in Washington, DC (DCA - National) is 2 hours 25 minutes.
Depart:5:00 p.m. Fri., Apr. 12, 2013
Washington, DC (DCA - National)

Arrive:6:09 p.m. Fri., Apr. 12, 2013
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
Flight Time:1 hr 9 mn
Award Miles/Premier Qualifying*:199 /100%
Flight: UA4372
Operated by EXPRESSJET AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS.
Aircraft: Embraer RJ145
Change Planes. Connect time in New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) is 56 minutes.
Depart:7:05 p.m.Fri., Apr. 12, 2013

Arrive:12:20 p.m. +1 Day Sat., Apr. 13, 2013
Istanbul, Turkey (IST)
Flight Time:10 hr 15 mn
Travel Time:17 hr 50 mn
Award Miles/Premier Qualifying*:5,029 /100%
Total Award Miles:6,436
Flight: UA904
Aircraft: Boeing 767-300
Sun., Apr. 14, 2013 | Istanbul, Turkey (IST) to Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)
Depart:1:55 p.m. Sun., Apr. 14, 2013
Istanbul, Turkey (IST)

Arrive:6:00 p.m. Sun., Apr. 14, 2013
Flight Time: 11 hr 5 mn
Award Miles/Premier Qualifying*:5,029
Flight:UA905
Aircraft: Boeing 767-300
Change Planes. Connect time in New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) is 2hr 45min.
Depart:8:45 p.m. Sun., Apr. 14, 2013

Arrive:11:30 p.m. Sun., Apr. 14, 2013
Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)
Flight Time:3 hr 45 mn

Travel Time:
17 hr 35 mn
Award Miles/Premier Qualifying*:1,400 /100%
Total Award Miles:6,429
Flight: UA1611
Aircraft: Boeing 737-700
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
People do mileage runs to earn/maintain status or to boost their spendable mileage balances with cheap miles. To some, that's worth buying. The turnaround point doesn't matter. It's not what drives the purchase.

Why that concept is so difficult for some to understand, I in turn will never understand. For a pure mileage run, IST is simply another runway and a gate on the way to a goal. It's not a destination.
I understand why people do mileage runs and would totally understand a quick turnaround if the destination were Des Moines or Scranton, but Istanbul? I'd be interested in knowing why you are boosting your balances if it's not to travel to exciting/interesting places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.