Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN offers 40% off code; look for matches

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by krpjr
Don't see dates on ITA...? Please provide some, thanks!
Make sure you are searching during the days of the sale.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firewind
And, an insomniac, I saw a lot of WN inventory at the super low fares evaporating overnight.* There are still once-a-days, usually, but there was pretty wide open availability yesterday. And, from jump, the base fares from which the 40% was taken off varied widely throughout a particular desired day of travel.

I wonder if we'll see the frequent pattern in these big sales, in which in the initial rush a lot of people jump in, many booking multiple trips -- followed by a lot of attrition. But I'm not seeing anything (lowest fares) opening back up, which would be the only reason the phenomenon would matter here.

Anyone see any matches come up on third party sites? I've checked, and haven't seen any.

* Which, I suggest, matters to the competition in determining where and how to match.
Interesting. Perhaps WN had a target of how many dollars of 40% tickets they wanted to sell and, when that target was reached, they pulled inventory out of the low fare buckets.

It's certainly a curious fare because we haven't seen "advertised" fares this low in quite some time. Leisure fares have been pretty high; yet, if you've been flying around lately, you'll noticed that planes are almost completely packed. There's no "off-season" when it comes to load factor these days. The airlines simply move seats to their cheaper buckets when the planes aren't full; basically, demand exceeds supply at current price levels.

Which certainly explains why WN's competitors aren't offering a lot of seats at 40% in response to this sale.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: DL DM
What is up with DL? Check out markets like LAS-TPA PHX-TPA SAN-BWI even PHX-ATL. They are pricing x2 to x3 higher then the second lowest??? Do you think this will continue or will they match. What times are fares updated?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
Earlier I noticed PBI as an option to/from LAX....
Ugh..I was about to put one on hold and was checking for 5% promo code to reapply. And the fare disappeared in front of me when I redo the search just minutes ago. LAX-MKE $160 fare also seems to be pulled as well (at least I have three on hold)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by thebluejean
Ugh..I was about to put one on hold and was checking for 5% promo code to reapply. And the fare disappeared in front of me when I redo the search just minutes ago. LAX-MKE $160 fare also seems to be pulled as well (at least I have three on hold)
May have gone away. But there was a way that I sometimes returned upstream that dumped the code. (Not viz my comment above.) So - and I don't know if it happened in your case - it is important to look again to see if you're carrying the code forward everytime.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
.... some of this may have to do with the relatively sparse inventory WN seems to be making available for the sale. Finding seats in the lowest fare bucket on WN can be quite a challenge on many routes. WN is definitely not the discounter they used to be.
No, they are not.
They found that charging for bags - leads to more carry-ons - leads to longer boarding times. Since they rely on quick turns of aircraft, this was not effective for them.
So, they advertise free bags, and compete with the majors in this way, while being priced about the same.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Competing airlines are definitely pulling some of their matches. AA is definitely among them.

Very different to how these sales usually play out. Usually, the best strategy is to be patient, as more matches come in until the original sale expires. For this sale, the early bird gets the worm. If you see a match and like it, I wouldn't wait to buy (under the new law, they have to give you 24 hours to cancel anyway).
Old Oct 12, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by ddrost1
Disappointing results ex-SMF for this sale. Best I could find was SMF-DCA for $237/4.5cpm in Jan/Feb on US. Sample Feb 2-3.
Look at SMF-NYC ~$240ai/<4.0cpm on UA.

SunLover
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

WN's 40% off sale ended last night, and the matches seem to now be all gone.

It's a shame, because this could have been the sale of the year, but there was a distinct lack of enthusiasm by anyone -- including WN -- to actually "give the store" away.

That said, there were a couple of very good matches if you could find inventory during the sale period on the limited number of routes offered.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

It's a shame, because this could have been the sale of the year, but there was a distinct lack of enthusiasm by anyone -- including WN -- to actually "give the store" away.

That said, there were a couple of very good matches if you could find inventory during the sale period on the limited number of routes offered.
I actually thought it was pretty good.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold
Yes, this one was far too short but sweet. Here's hoping for another in the near future.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
No more than 3 days after booking MCO-EWR-SFO-BOI-SFO-IAD-MCO, UA issued their latest round of schedule changes which makes MCO-EWR-SFO an illegal connection. Pretty funny.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT

Considering the fact we saw Den-lga $140 and NYC-BUR $208 I would see it was a solid sale from here in nyc!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Considering the fact we saw Den-lga $140 and NYC-BUR $208 I would see it was a solid sale from here in nyc!
Agreed. Plenty of UA opportunities in the 3-4 cents per PQM range. ^ A couple of these, a couple of excellent fares down (think NYC-PDX ~$140ai) the road, a few VDB certificates, and you can cost average into a good price per PQM.

I did not partake in this one because I am pretty booked up already and don't want to cross over to 1K until late 2013, but this kind of sale is a excellent mileage run base building opportunity.

SunLover
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hobo13
No more than 3 days after booking MCO-EWR-SFO-BOI-SFO-IAD-MCO, UA issued their latest round of schedule changes which makes MCO-EWR-SFO an illegal connection. Pretty funny.
it still shows on ITA, I just found BOI-SFO-IAD-MCO-EWR-SFO-BOI

aLL IN $260 for 3.5cpm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.