Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

WN offers 40% off code; look for matches

WN offers 40% off code; look for matches

Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by iahphx
Does anyone have a good source for finding the matches? They don't seem to be reliably popping up in the farecompare "where to go next" function.

Just plugging in some cheap city pairs, I found US matching WN from PHL to LAS during the relevant sale period: a remarkable $140 roundtrip.
www.google.com/flights seems pretty good showing the matching fares. It lets you pick a departure city and no destination.
Try this for AA out of SAN. Adjust city, carrier, and dates as needed.
http://www.google.com/flights/#searc...LD;mp=250;eo=e

Last edited by skunker; Oct 9, 2012 at 6:08 pm
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
FLL-TPA-EWR-SEA-EWR-TPA-FLL $203 RT AI on UA Jan/Fed weekends available as of this posting with possible 1 or 0 day stay. Cheaper by $6 without the TPA stops. Grab them while you can.

FLL-DFW-LAS-DFW-FLL $162 RT AI on AA. Mostly January dates with possible 1 or 0 day stay.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:56 pm
formerly known as CARTflagman

SJC-DCA from 12/3-4, 12/4-5, etc. all the way up to 12/11 for $197 all-in. Weekends are higher, these are Mon-Sat.

Look for a 5% or higher discount using AA codes readily available. Combine with AA 10% off at Costco and your looking at about $167-170 all-in.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skunker
www.google.com/flights seems pretty good showing the matching fares. It lets you pick a departure city and no destination.
Try this for AA out of SAN. Adjust city, carrier, and dates as needed.
http://www.google.com/flights/#searc...LD;mp=250;eo=e
Thanks. I think I found a way to do it on the "matrix" at itasoftware.com. They now let you search within 2000 miles of an airport! So pick your hometown airport as a departure and then pick something in the middle of the country as your destination and do the expanded 2000 mile search. You can pick a specific departure date or search for a 30-day period. Pretty cool.

BTW, I found other USAirways matches out of PHL. Several PHL-Florida routes are $98 roundtrip.

EDIT: In using the "nearby" feature, you're better off doing multiple searches with a 500 mile radius, as ita seems to pull airports out (too many to search?) if you do a 2000 mile search.

Last edited by iahphx; Oct 10, 2012 at 7:20 am Reason: more info
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond (challenge), SPG Gold, all else steerage
Just booked ORF-DFW-SFO on AA, late Jan, for $174. Cheapest coast to coast trip I've booked in 7 years. Thanks WN!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
AA: SAN-DFW-BOS-DFW-SAN same day turns for $204 all-in.
AA: SAN-BWI $162
Don't see dates on ITA...? Please provide some, thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Are there no fares from LAX at all? I can't find anything from LAX - only SNA and BUR!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
Are there no fares from LAX at all? I can't find anything from LAX - only SNA and BUR!
Earlier I noticed PBI as an option to/from LAX....
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
Earlier I noticed PBI as an option to/from LAX....
Awesome! Just put one on hold. Thanks!

Oddly enough - it doesn't comes up when I do a search for ex-LAX flights to MIA/PBI/FLL etc. on ITA.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
US Air has PIT-PHL-MSP for $172 rt, 12/14-12/16.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm not seeing a lot of enthusiasm from UA/DL/AA/US to match more of the WN fares this morning. Matches are definitely out there, but they're limited to certain routes -- it's not like there are "systemwide" fare sales going on.

BTW, some of this may have to do with the relatively sparse inventory WN seems to be making available for the sale. Finding seats in the lowest fare bucket on WN can be quite a challenge on many routes. WN is definitely not the discounter they used to be.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
I'm not seeing a lot of enthusiasm from UA/DL/AA/US to match more of the WN fares this morning. Matches are definitely out there, but they're limited to certain routes -- it's not like there are "systemwide" fare sales going on.

BTW, some of this may have to do with the relatively sparse inventory WN seems to be making available for the sale. Finding seats in the lowest fare bucket on WN can be quite a challenge on many routes. WN is definitely not the discounter they used to be.
A very good observation (about WN) indeed!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
AA: lax-dfw-oma-dfw-lax for $158 til EOS
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Disappointing results ex-SMF for this sale. Best I could find was SMF-DCA for $237/4.5cpm in Jan/Feb on US. Sample Feb 2-3.

As an aside I didn't do any searching on OW or ST alliances as I am a *A flyer. Looking on Kayak I did see some better deals on AA ex SMF (ie, to BDL and others on the east coast).
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club

And, an insomniac, I saw a lot of WN inventory at the super low fares evaporating overnight.* There are still once-a-days, usually, but there was pretty wide open availability yesterday. And, from jump, the base fares from which the 40% was taken off varied widely throughout a particular desired day of travel.

I wonder if we'll see the frequent pattern in these big sales, in which in the initial rush a lot of people jump in, many booking multiple trips -- followed by a lot of attrition. But I'm not seeing anything (lowest fares) opening back up, which would be the only reason the phenomenon would matter here.

Anyone see any matches come up on third party sites? I've checked, and haven't seen any.

* Which, I suggest, matters to the competition in determining where and how to match.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.