FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   CO/UA/NH: SEA/SFO/LAX-NRT/GUM - MANILA rt.from $682 a.i. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/1292249-co-ua-nh-sea-sfo-lax-nrt-gum-manila-rt-682-i.html)

samplat May 17, 2012 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by hulagrrl210 (Post 18595292)
anyone anticipate having any problems with Filipino customs/immigration if i am only there 3 hours?

also anyone know is HNL-GUM and/or the island hopper UDU eligible? thx!

Re customs/immigration, never had any questions about trip, purpose, stay etc. so my guess is they'll just stamp and send you on your way. But my shortest trip there was just under 24 hours and others have all been longer.

notsosmart May 18, 2012 9:45 am

Originally Posted by hulagrrl210 (Post 18595292)
anyone anticipate having any problems with Filipino customs/immigration if i am only there 3 hours?

also anyone know is HNL-GUM and/or the island hopper UDU eligible? thx!

Originally Posted by mobilebucky (Post 18595420)
Answer is No

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx

Interesting fare, found some in late August, my only concern is typhoon season during that period.

I wouldn't be so sure. HNL-GUM non-stop is certainly ineligible, but the Island Hopper always has been, at least until UACO.

The trick was, *all* segments had to be upgradeable, or the u/g wouldn't clear. The odds of that were practically non-existent.

I've flown the route twice, as an NW plat back then, and wistfully looked at empty F seats on some of the segs, that I couldn't get on because the following segments were occupied. :(

Awesome flight tho'. ^ ^

palwhatsup May 18, 2012 11:47 am

Originally Posted by teddybw (Post 18596505)
Non-stop HNL-GUM is not eligible for CPU.

But the island hopper version IS. However, if you book the through flight, you can only be upgraded when through flight opens R space. On the other hand, if you book them seperately, you will have more chances to be upgraded, at least on some of them. But you need to pay more taxes in this case.

That's exactly my fear. I booked a through flight so I am guessing I should reasonably expect to sit in the back with my partner all the way across the Pacific.

Look forward to enjoying the hopping though :cool:!

I see that the stopover on each island is only about 45 minutes. Can passengers get off to snap a few pictures? :)

jjgollum May 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Anyone have any dates left with the island hopper for $800 price range?

Looks like K bucket is needed and price jumps to over $1000 when its not available.

I'm looking for November timeframe.

miniliq May 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by teddybw (Post 18596505)
Non-stop HNL-GUM is not eligible for CPU.

But the island hopper version IS. .

And the nonstops GUM-MNL-GUM are eligible -- I booked them a few days ago as part of a msy-sfo-hnl-gum-mnl rt.

concorde02 May 21, 2012 8:01 pm

So you mean the only leg that are not upgradable (on K fare) is hnl-gum right? (if gum-mnl is really upgradable?)

I don't quite understand why hnl-gum is not upgradable since they use the domestic version of 777-200 and the Business (Domestic F) class is nothing special.

JetSetDave May 21, 2012 8:46 pm

[QUOTE=concorde02;18618739]So you mean the only leg that are not upgradable (on K fare) is hnl-gum right? (if gum-mnl is really upgradable?)

We flew UA NRT-GUM, GUM-MNL post merger and upgraded on both flights.

1kdreamer May 21, 2012 9:36 pm

[QUOTE=mtndave47;18618935]

Originally Posted by concorde02 (Post 18618739)
So you mean the only leg that are not upgradable (on K fare) is hnl-gum right? (if gum-mnl is really upgradable?)

We flew UA NRT-GUM, GUM-MNL post merger and upgraded on both flights.

Would it be better to use RPU for better chance to get upgraded?

rtwfan May 22, 2012 12:03 am

Should be able to get off for photos

Originally Posted by palwhatsup (Post 18600181)
I see that the stopover on each island is only about 45 minutes. Can passengers get off to snap a few pictures? :)

I got off at every stop except the somewhat restrictive Kwajalein. In fact they made 1/2 the passengers get off at each stop and anyone else who wanted to could also get off for the brief time we were at each island. At least that was how it was in 2007. Fun routing! The islands are really beautiful.

palwhatsup May 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by concorde02 (Post 18618739)

I don't quite understand why hnl-gum is not upgradable since they use the domestic version of 777-200 and the Business (Domestic F) class is nothing special.

I don't understand why HNL-GUM is not upgradeable either. May be due to duration of flight even though it is operated by a domestic 772?:confused:

miniliq May 27, 2012 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by palwhatsup (Post 18623910)
I don't understand why HNL-GUM is not upgradeable either. May be due to duration of flight even though it is operated by a domestic 772?:confused:

It is what it is, I'm afraid. The rules are spelled out clearly on the upgrade overview page https://pss.united.com/web/en-US/con...de/default.asp "Global Premier Upgrades are not available on flights booked in fare classes Z, P, S, T, K, L, G or N" (for hnl-gum and some other routings)

golfingboy May 27, 2012 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by palwhatsup (Post 18623910)

It is primarily because they have a full BF service up front, just like on IAD-LHR, SFO-NRT, etc.

FlyerChrisK May 28, 2012 4:07 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 18651517)
It is primarily because they have a full BF service up front, just like on IAD-LHR, SFO-NRT, etc.

Huh? I just got off UA 200, and while I was in Y, I could not identify anything about the product that would make it remotely close to BF. It's a domestic first class product. Nothing more.

HCA May 31, 2012 7:01 pm

Is the fare still there (at least I can't find it)?

JetSetDave May 31, 2012 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by HCA (Post 18676665)
Is the fare still there (at least I can't find it)?

Tried pre Thanksgiving week and its still available on NH from SEA, mostly 1 stop at NRT, for $769. Not MR material but a decent fare to MNL with possible UA codeshare flights thru SFO. We enjoyed flying NH, great overall product.