Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Systemwide WN, FL sale: matches identified (DL systemwide; some US, UA/CO, AA, VX,AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Systemwide WN, FL sale: matches identified (DL systemwide; some US, UA/CO, AA, VX,AS)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:04 am

Delta matched. At least from OAK-SLC
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firewind
Thank you for this, iahphx. Southwest comes up with similar low fares frequently. For a little of your magic, how did you spot the gravitas in this one to anticipate a fare war? Anyway, bravo!
Well, frankly, once I saw the press releases on the web this morning, this potential opportunity was a no-brainer.

WN has historically been the low-price fare leader in the USA, a role they seem to be slowly relinquishing as their cost-structure no longer allows it. That said, they still do offer these systemwide fare sales a couple of times a year, at prices that are significantly below normal market rates. (BTW, when was the last time a legacy carrier had a really good systemwide sale?) Of course, they limit the sales to the slowest leisure travel periods of the year, and make you buy sufficiently in advance so that they won't lose too many higher biz fares.

The participation of FL in this sale is a welcome new addition, and shows that WN is tightening control over its new subsidiary.

What we don't know yet is whether the legacy carriers will match WN's fares as they historically have, or take a pass. Frankly, I think there are compelling business reasons not to match a 3-day advance sale: basically, let WN sell its inventory for a low price, and keep your own inventory to sell at a higher price later. This is especially true since these fares don't seem to be on the CRS systems, so it's not immediately obvious to "the general public" that they're out there.

But we'll see. DL's move shows there still at least some inclination to match.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
So far AA does not seem to be matching, at least on routes out of NYC.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:15 pm
Suspended

DL matched systemwide.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

CO/UA has broaded marched in CERTAIN cities. Possibly WN's "hubs"?

Like they have the WN/FL fares in BWI but not WAS or PHL.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
on LAX - PHX, DL and AA has matched, but UA/CO has not. wonder how they develop a way on matching...
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:06 pm

I'm seeing CO/UA fares from CLE-ORD for $45 each way ($10 more than WN's fares). I'm sure there are other CO/UA options out there, too.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:22 pm

any of u finding interesting route for ATL mr ?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx
CO/UA has broaded marched in CERTAIN cities. Possibly WN's "hubs"?
UA may actually have some better fares - booked DEN-LAX for $159 and change ai - WN wanted $162 and change ai for same dates (Fri-Sun) in January. As always, it pays to shop around...
Old Oct 18, 2011, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Itasoftware is indicating that US has also begun to selectively match some of the WN/FL fares. For instance, I spoke earlier about the PHL-Florida nonstop markets, and ita says US is offering $151 all in fares. Oddly, I'm not seeing them on the bookable websites, but maybe it's a work in progress.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Smile

Originally Posted by iahphx
Itasoftware is indicating that US has also begun to selectively match some of the WN/FL fares. For instance, I spoke earlier about the PHL-Florida nonstop markets, and ita says US is offering $151 all in fares. Oddly, I'm not seeing them on the bookable websites, but maybe it's a work in progress.
AA is matching out of MIA. Just got MIA-IAH for 149.28-20 Coupon I had = 129.28 for Dec 3rd ,and I dont have to drive to FLL.

Repped
Old Oct 18, 2011, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I have updated the title with some of the matches identified in this thread to date.

At some point this thread may be moved to MR Discussion (with a long term link) when it has served its alert purpose here.

BiziBB, Mod MR Deals
Old Oct 18, 2011, 3:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
DL has matched so far at least on RDU-ATL which is $91 all in now. Would have been nice had that fare been around in time for baseball season!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Look at SAN-ORD

I posted a DL version of this on "Good Deals in Econ", but other carriers have low 200's on this route.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
DL matched systemwide.
Really? I'm not seeing matches on (eg) LGA-LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.