FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   LAX-STI, via Panama for $468 COPA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/1218937-lax-sti-via-panama-468-copa.html)

chasbondy May 24, 2011 3:54 pm

LAX-STI, via Panama for $468 COPA

Copa Air has a $468 ai fare to Santiago, Dominica Republic from LAX via Panama. Its just under 8000 miles. It looks like you might be able to find an itinerary that would allow you enough time to see the canal. But, on the other hand, who wants to see Santiago??

krpjr May 24, 2011 4:13 pm

You are correct, of all places, Santiago! Show me the goods from Punta Cana, Santo Domingo or even Puerto Plata!!!

dnkywhisperer May 25, 2011 6:54 am

Puerto Plata is a mere stone throw from Santiago, I am in love with Puerto Plata.

kokonutz May 25, 2011 6:59 am

I often see good A fares on Copa...but I hear bad things about their cabins/service so I'm always hesitant to pull the trigger...

brahms77 May 25, 2011 7:28 am

Is this bookable on copaair.com? If so, you should also earn additional 25% EQM when crediting to Onepass. :) When are the dates?

sbm12 May 25, 2011 8:39 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 16446418)
I often see good A fares on Copa...but I hear bad things about their cabins/service so I'm always hesitant to pull the trigger...

It is a domestic F 737 cabin, basically the same as Continental's. Not elegant, certainly, but perfectly functional. I've always enjoyed the food/service up front.

http://gallery.millerworks.net/photo...32_M8qyR-M.jpg

I'd definitely try to book it with a stopover to see the canal if you never have. It is simply amazing.

http://gallery.millerworks.net/Trave...75_NLRA8-M.jpg

redtailshark May 25, 2011 11:49 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 16446965)
It is a domestic F 737 cabin, basically the same as Continental's. Not elegant, certainly, but perfectly functional.

I'd definitely try to book it with a stopover to see the canal if you never have.

sbm is right. Runs on CM are fun as long as you aren't condemned to consecutive 7+ hour sectors in the back of their 738 from LAX to PTY to SCL.

The food, drink and service are all good to excellent. Better than domestic F on CO, I think.

It's not all about the flights anyway. The PTY layover potentials are part of the fun. Take in the Canal Zone, the Bridge of the Americas, the Mercado, even Duran's barrio but if you're a gringo, do this only in daylight with a guide you can trust, yeah, all of it.

But the best CM moment is during a run when - after numerous CM sectors in three days, all with the same crew - the commander and FO poke their heads out of the cockpit as you board at MEX and take 2B, again, and they exclaim with surprise:
"Oh! It's you, again!"

Yeah. That's what we do. Now, take me to PTY, baby ^

edweird May 25, 2011 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by redtailshark (Post 16448335)
The food, drink and service are all good to excellent. Better than domestic F on CO, I think.

This is my opinion as well. More like CO used to be, than what it is today.

atcanobbio May 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by brahms77 (Post 16446539)
Is this bookable on copaair.com? If so, you should also earn additional 25% EQM when crediting to Onepass. :) When are the dates?

i'm wondering the same thing...25% if booked via copa air?

garykung May 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Then I have a question.

UA (M+) does not consider Copa as a partner at all. But CO does (as they have the same OP).

I know that my OP Gold Elite can be used for Copa for upgrade and EQM purpose.

But since M+ and OP will merge, will that EQM earned be considered for next year status?

jteezy May 25, 2011 10:31 pm

I`m no lawyer, but I would imagine eqm is eqm. If they get combined, I can`t see how they could exclude specific eqm.

then again... never say never

brahms77 May 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 16451519)
Then I have a question.

UA (M+) does not consider Copa as a partner at all. But CO does (as they have the same OP).

I know that my OP Gold Elite can be used for Copa for upgrade and EQM purpose.

But since M+ and OP will merge, will that EQM earned be considered for next year status?

I remember reading somewhere here on FT (in the UA/CO forum) that 2011 EQM activities in both program will be combined for the purpose of elite qualification for the 2012. So, I'd think that you can accrue EQMs earned from CM on ONEPASS account and rest to UA account. One would have to link the two accounts to make sure that the EQM activity is automatically combined at the end of the year.

sbm12 May 26, 2011 5:55 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 16451519)

Yes.

And if you're looking for a guide in PTY there is one several of us have used in the past who is very reliable and a fun guy. I can pass along the info if desired.