Wiki Posts
Search

AA: LAX-DFW-MKE RT $239.30 in May - 6646 EQMs including the Double EQMs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 2MM, EXP
AA: LAX-DFW-MKE RT $239.30 in May - 6646 EQMs including the Double EQMs

Using DEQM promo, yields 6646 EQMs @ $0.036 / EQM. Good starting in May, most available mid-week.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
UA had some with routings via IAH for about the same, although the CPM is pretty bad ~5, the DEQM really does some work.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Great deal if you live in CA or TX, otherwise its a waste of time as a mileage run...
Old Apr 20, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA General
New to AA. Where can I register for DEQM promo?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, UA 1K
It is targeted to CA and TX residents only.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Stephentao
Using DEQM promo, yields 6646 EQMs @ $0.036 / EQM. Good starting in May, most available mid-week.
Thanks, Stephentao!!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: AS 100K/F9 100K/*A-Gold/AA 1.6mm/HyattGlobal/IHG SPIRE/Hilt-Caes-Wynd DIAM/Rad & Crown&Anch GOLD
Originally Posted by Stephentao
Nice find! PM me when you're flying. I may try to book one or two of these.
--noneemac
Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA1MM;AA EXP;Hilton HHonors Gold; Hertz Gold; Emerald Club; Admirals Club;
Could I 'Double Dip?'

Please forgive a newbie for a possibly stupid question. This is my 1st attempt at a MR. I have figured out an itinerary that would be DFW-LAX-DFW-MKE and back again. Will they let me "double dip" as in get the DEQ on both DFW/LAX legs both ways? Would booking it as two trips (DFW/LAX then LAX/DFW/MKE) work? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrfrhiannon
Please forgive a newbie for a possibly stupid question. This is my 1st attempt at a MR. I have figured out an itinerary that would be DFW-LAX-DFW-MKE and back again. Will they let me "double dip" as in get the DEQ on both DFW/LAX legs both ways? Would booking it as two trips (DFW/LAX then LAX/DFW/MKE) work? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!
If you book DFW-LAX and then LAX-DFW-MKE and then MKE-DFW-LAX and then LAX-DFW as 4 separate tickets, no DEQ iwll ever post.

If you book DFW-LAX-DFW-MKE-DFEW-LAX-DFW as 1 ticket, only 1 DEQ will ever post.

If you book DFW-LAX-DFW and inside that LAX-DFW-MKE-DFW-LAX, that's nested bookings which is "illegal" (per general AA ticketing rules), and if AA spots that it may invalidate it all or lock up your account or who knows what.

The only legal way to get 2 DEQs is to book DFW-LAX-DFW as one RT and DFW-MKE-DFW as another RT and DFW-LAX-DFW again at a third RT, and then you get 2 DEQs. But that makes the DFW-MKE-DFW sort of pointless, doesn't it?

Since you can only do one DEQ per DFW-LAX-DFW RT, why not just book two of those then, and be done with it? (It's a lot less wear and tear on you, costs a bit less because of fewer taxes, at least if you do it during VA's $99 sale windows, and isn't that much less EQMs/$ with that in mind.

The only way to get extensions that make sense from DFW is to to them past LAX (without backtracking all the way to DFW). Unfortunately, there's a lot rarer low-priced possibilities in that direction, unless AA runs promotions to any of the 10 new-from-LAX cities while originating from DFW (say, DFW-LAX-ABQ-LAX-DFW, or DFW-LAX-SMF-LAX-DFW). But since AA serves most (all?) of those cities from DFW also, I doubt they would intentionally run sales where you can connect through LAX, so you may have to look for routing mistakes on sales for that to work...

And welcome to FT, wrfrhiannon!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Um nested tickets are not illegal. MR'ers do that all the time. What's illegal is back to back ticketing to avoid minimum stays. And since the Saturday night stay has gone by the wayside, there are not a lot of minimum stays left.

What would be illegal is this:

1. Fly PDX-HNL on a very low Q fare with a 3 day minimum.
2. Turn right around and book a HNL-PDX back and then 3 days later fly back to HNL to get the lower fare both ways to maximize your miles and circumvent the 3 day minimum.

But booking DFW-LAX-DFW RT and then a LAX-MKE RT via DFW is not illegal. It's maximizing miles, and AA is getting the money for both trips. As long as you're not breaking fare rules, you're doing nothing wrong.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA1MM;AA EXP;Hilton HHonors Gold; Hertz Gold; Emerald Club; Admirals Club;
Thanks so much for your help and for the warm welcome! I'll see if I can pull it off. Until then I'll keep lurking and learning.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Um nested tickets are not illegal. MR'ers do that all the time. What's illegal is back to back ticketing to avoid minimum stays. And since the Saturday night stay has gone by the wayside, there are not a lot of minimum stays left.

What would be illegal is this:

1. Fly PDX-HNL on a very low Q fare with a 3 day minimum.
2. Turn right around and book a HNL-PDX back and then 3 days later fly back to HNL to get the lower fare both ways to maximize your miles and circumvent the 3 day minimum.

But booking DFW-LAX-DFW RT and then a LAX-MKE RT via DFW is not illegal. It's maximizing miles, and AA is getting the money for both trips. As long as you're not breaking fare rules, you're doing nothing wrong.
Ok, thanks for the general correction. But that still leaves open the question, whether nested trips will both get the DEQ bonus. For that, it'd be best to search the LASF2 promo thread (a very similar promo from earlier this year, except that one wasn't limited to TX & CA residents) and see if anyone reported one way or the other on something like that in that promo. (No bonuses have posted yet for the current promo, which is why you have to look at the previous promo.)
Old Apr 26, 2011, 1:21 am

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Ok, thanks for the general correction. But that still leaves open the question, whether nested trips will both get the DEQ bonus. For that, it'd be best to search the LASF2 promo thread (a very similar promo from earlier this year, except that one wasn't limited to TX & CA residents) and see if anyone reported one way or the other on something like that in that promo. (No bonuses have posted yet for the current promo, which is why you have to look at the previous promo.)
Yes, they all post and are perfectly legal. I did two or three sequences of trips last promo with DFW-SFO-DFW three or 4 days apart and flew back and forth cross country on the days in between. The rules are based on RT flights, when or how doesn't matter. But you can ONLY have one RT dfw-lax/sfo-dfw per TICKET.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 1:27 am

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
It makes perfectly good sense to book lax-dfw-mke as a nested trip. If you have to pay $100+ each way to get the Double EQM from LAX-DFW and you can add on another couple thousand for a few more dollars by going DFW-XXX it is definitly worth it to get the extra EQM's for a small fee.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I could kick myself... was about to book a r/t for the 4th but my internet was bumpy... now it's gone for the good fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.