Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

CO/UA: PIT-SAN/CLD/SNA/SMF ~$210 a/i RT (2.6 CPM, $26/segment)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador

A few of the PIT G fares are back for travel to/from California. Routing rules allow 4 segments each way. Valid through 5/31/11. There is a ton of availability from 4/15-5/14 on most days of the week but more limited availability (Tues/Wed/Sat) from 5/15-5/31. Book on CO.com, UA.com, Kayak.

A similar fare is available through EOS for $40 extra per RT.

1. PIT-CHI/CLE/CLT/EWR/PHL/WAS-CHI/DEN/HOU-LAX/SFO-SAN
1. PIT-CHI/CLE/CLT/EWR/PHL/WAS-CHI/DEN/HOU-LAX/SFO-SNA
1. PIT-CHI/CLE/CLT/EWR/PHL/WAS-CHI/DEN/HOU-LAX/SFO-SMF
2. PIT-CHI/CLE/CLT/EWR/PHL/WAS-CHI/DEN/HOU-SMF
Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Got one in May, thanks, OP.
Out Monday night 930ish on CO SAN-EWR-PIT-EWR-SAN, home by 2:00 in the afternoon Tuesday.
$200.80 a/i - 5478 EQM - $.037cpm.

Last edited by hiyo; Apr 16, 2011 at 1:55 pm
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS mvp gold UA 1K HH Gold
Folks, sorry for the rookie question, but how do you assign the segments?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pfxlax
Folks, sorry for the rookie question, but how do you assign the segments?

Thanks in advance.
Select "Multiple Destinations" when booking your reservation. You can search availability through ITA but you'll need to book somewhere else. Continental.com is usually the easiest for these fares.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: AS mvp gold UA 1K HH Gold
Thanks Bryan! As always the help is appreciated.^^
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Thumbs up

Excellent! Thank you. Snagged SNA-EWR-PIT-EWR-SFO-SNA for $206 ai on co.com (actually priced out cheaper on co.com than it showed in ITA which was $210). And I leave on a Friday evening and get back Saturday evening = no missed work! 3.17cpm
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Excellent! Thank you. Snagged SNA-EWR-PIT-EWR-SFO-SNA for $206 ai on co.com (actually priced out cheaper on co.com than it showed in ITA which was $210). And I leave on a Friday evening and get back Saturday evening = no missed work! 3.17cpm
The difference in fare of $5 is because if you arrive into an airport and leave immediately, the carrier can count the whole thing as one itinerary instead of two separate legs (which is how ITA calculates it). Then certain taxes and fees which normally are a per booking or per segment get reduced and you end up paying less. In fact, on your booking, it may show your flights as:

"....EWR - PIT COXXXX ?:?? arrive at ?:??

layover in PIT for ?:??

PIT - EWR COXXXX ?:?? arrive...."

So your stay in PIT counts as a layover instead of an endpoint/destination.

Disclaimer: this does not work for all flights or all carriers, and I can't sort out an exact correlation between any variables and the extra fees being charged or not.

Good job on finding; I'll be doing a PIT-IAD-SFO-LAX-CLD r/t for $216 for over 7500 EQM!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
nice, thanks for the explanation. I'll have to look ast my itinerary. I tried to eek out a little more mileage but couldn't git another segment in without exploding the fare. I end up at ~6500 eqm
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:56 am

Just booked a trip from SNA - EWR - PIT on May 6 returning May 8 for $218..Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

PIT-PHX is back too!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
SMF-ORD-PIT-IAD-SMF, $240 ai. All same day on a Sunday.

Not ideal in terms of cpm, but lets me finish my status challenge without missing anything important, so I'll take it.

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Similar fares now available to other US hubs (CLT, PHL) from SMF. Likely other west coast cities would also work. Noticed SMF-SFO-PHL-SFO-SMF (same day trip) for $220 ai, >6K EQMs. A319 on both the long flights, though, so chances of UDU aren't so great.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: Various
A belated thanks for the heads-up on this, btw! I had a trip to NRT cancelled (no surprise), and so picked up 3 of these to make up the mileage deficit. I didn't maximize the miles, as I'm only getting around 5700 eqm out of each trip, but that does mean I can leave PIT in the morning, and be back the same day in the evening, which is perfect.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by mechteach
A belated thanks for the heads-up on this, btw! I had a trip to NRT cancelled (no surprise), and so picked up 3 of these to make up the mileage deficit. I didn't maximize the miles, as I'm only getting around 5700 eqm out of each trip, but that does mean I can leave PIT in the morning, and be back the same day in the evening, which is perfect.
Now that they're not permitting the ultra-cheap fare buckets for segment padding, I think 5700 EQMs per trip is pretty good.

Just noticed that PHL is no longer a cheap option from SMF but PIT and CLT still are.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by fzwinter
Now that they're not permitting the ultra-cheap fare buckets for segment padding, I think 5700 EQMs per trip is pretty good.

Just noticed that PHL is no longer a cheap option from SMF but PIT and CLT still are.
It's not bad, but I have a PIT-CLD with three connections resulting in over 7500 EQM r/t. Admittedly, it's not an all-in-one-day trip as I get back around 10 the next morning after leaving at 6 am the day before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.