Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Good Deal Premium Fares 2011

Good Deal Premium Fares 2011

Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by InTokyo
Thanks...........I am based in Tokyo so it is really inconvenient to begin my trip from other Asian cities and extends my trip my several hours or an overnight. What I've done in the past is buy a cheap one way Y fare from NRT-TPE or use miles (if reasonable), THEN begin my biz class travels often connecting back throug NRT!

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me?
ex SEL is often quite similar in price to TPE, just depends on where you can get to cheaper from Tokyo.

There are really reasonable OZ and CX restricted biz R/T fares ex TYO, but only to the cities OZ and CX fly to in the US. Separate domestic ticket needed for other points. Last time I played with them, they had to be ticketed through a Japanese agent or site, never got it to price on the American sites.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
I was messing around with my new LH iPad app this afternoon and plugged in the same dates for LAX-ZRH as I had bought a month or so ago from United (8/24-9/5) for $2135 a.i. LH popped up today at $2038++, ai totaling around $2700... using the LAX nonstop to MUC on the outbound and FRA return.. not bad... in and out of MUC without the ZRH was $300-$500 more depending on the routing..
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: AA ExP
http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/...itish-airways/
From British Airways, save on summer business class/Club World travel to London and select cities in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. Fares start at $1,998 round-trip, for outbound travel from July 26 through September 4.

A minimum Saturday night stay is required, with an allowed maximum of 11 months.

Tickets must be booked by Sunday, midnight ET, July 24. More info at BritishAirways.com.

Sample fares include:

New York to London Heathrow $2,110 round-trip

New York to Amsterdam $2,098 round-trip

New York to Brussels $1,998 round-trip

New York to Stockholm $2,098 round-trip

New York to Frankfurt $2,098 round-trip

Los Angeles to London Heathrow $2,746 round-trip

Los Angeles to Amsterdam $2,898 round-trip

Los Angeles to Frankfurt $2,898 round-trip

San Francisco to London Heathrow $2,746 round-trip

San Francisco to Amsterdam $2,898 round-trip

San Francisco to Stockholm $2,898 round-trip
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Maybe does not include "fuel surcharges"

Edited to add: yes expect at least $500 in fuel surcharges from East Coast. I tried a dummy booking. There really should be legislation to require fuel surcharges to be included in the "fare"
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K

Edited to add: yes expect at least $500 in fuel surcharges from East Coast. I tried a dummy booking. There really should be legislation to require fuel surcharges to be included in the "fare"
+1
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:00 pm

There is and has been such a DoT regulation for airfare advertising in the US for many, many years.

While the BA fares include a (very high) "fuel surcharge" component, that charge is included in the advertised fare as currently required. BA however isn't including certain "government, authority and airport charges" in their advertised fares.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Quokka
...snip...
While the BA fares include a (very high) "fuel surcharge" component, that charge is included in the advertised fare as currently required. BA however isn't including certain "government, authority and airport charges" in their advertised fares...
The sad reality is although BA may include YQ in their US advertising to satisfy the law, many on-line fare-comparison sites do not include it, and FT'ers who should know better too often post 'bargain' fares without it (and neglect to say so, or whether the fare is o/w or r/t).

Doesn't EU have a similar law, btw?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by JohnAx
...Doesn't EU have a similar law, btw?
In the EU all advertised prices must be "all-in" and be shown for the R/T journey if one is required to purchase R/T to qualify. Simple, straightforward, transparent. WYSIWYG.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

I fully agree that advertised prices should be inclusive of fuel surcharges. However I'm not sure that the prices they're advertising on ba.com are not, in fact, inclusive of the YQ fuel surcharge. In the dummy bookings I did, the difference between the advertised price and the actual final price was due primarily to the multitude of London airport taxes/fees. Interestingly, many of these fees/taxes can be avoided by booking the nonstop services that avoid flying via London (on AA metal, with a BA codeshare flight number).

Note that a detailed breakdown of fees/taxes/surcharges etc. can be viewed by single clicking the "i" immediately to the right of the amount in the "Taxes, fees, charges, and surcharges per person" box on the itinerary page (after you've chosen your flights, but before you agree to the terms and begin inputting personal details).

For an itinerary on BA metal from JFK to BRU via LHR, the breakdown includes

Government, authority and airport charges Per adult
Customs User Fee - USA USD5.50
Transportation Tax(Departure) - USA USD16.30
Transportation Tax(Arrival) - USA USD16.30
Animal & Plant Health User Fee (Aphis) - USA USD5.00
Immigration User Fee - USA USD7.00
Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee - USA USD2.50
Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom USD63.13
Embarkation Tax - Belgium USD37.03
Passenger Facility Charge USD4.50
Total government, authority and airport charges* USD157.26

and the total $157.26 amount accounts for the entire discrepancy between the advertised price ($999 each way) and the final price of my dummy booking ($2,155.26).

When I choose the direct, AA metal flights, the total of the dummy booking is reduced to $2,092.13, and the total difference is due to the absense of the $63.13 Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom.

To my mind, it's absolutely despicable that BA is charging $560 in fuel surcharges for both itineraries, but relative to the comments above in this thread, I believe that these fuel surcharges have been included in the advertised rates.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:17 am

I found some interesting one-way discounted J fares during some research on an upcoming trip in August .

ORD-IST-KUL for $1363 (Turkish/Malaysian) bookable on Orbitz

KUL-BKK-CAI-JFK for $1864 (Egyptian) bookable on Vayama.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, HYATT DIAMOND, AVIS CC, AA EXP
Originally Posted by MBM3
I found some interesting one-way discounted J fares during some research on an upcoming trip in August .

KUL-BKK-CAI-JFK for $1864 (Egyptian) bookable on Vayama.
Sample dates on the ORD fare?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:30 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by mrbrioni
Sample dates on the ORD fare?
Should be lots of dates. This fare has been around for well over a year and mentioned here several times. I wish I had room in my schedule to utilize this fare! Good luck!
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:39 pm

Has it been mentioned in this thread? Emirates First class R/T to many destinations for 2700 EUR ex Italy

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...pax-fares.html
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
OK. Back to topic, I will REPOST a fare I first posted in 2009, and is still around, and is in my opinion a screaming deal. JFK-IST-KUL return is $2400 on TK, grab it before June to try out TK's leased Jet Airways herringbone seat. Hint: one way is around $1300, then take Air Asia to CMB for $70. Questions AFTER experimentation? PM Me.

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Another TK fare - 2 stopovers at IST permitted.

V FARE BASIS BK FARE TRAVEL-TICKET AP MINMAX RTG
1 JRTMH J R 2197.00 T31JL - -/12M AT01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT AUTO PRICE-YES
FROM-NYC TO-KUL CXR-TK TVL-07JUN11 RULE-TKMH IPRA/1
FARE BASIS-JRTMH SPECIAL FARE DIS-E VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-BRO RT-BUSINESS CLASS PROMOTIONAL
USD 2197.00 2002 E14AUG09 D-INFINITY FC-JRTMH FN-
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 13AUG09/0801 EXPIRES INFINITY

PUBLISHED RTG NYC-KUL/TK2002/TAR-TARG EF-14AUG09 DIS-INDEF

/VIA THE ATLANTIC/
DOM ROUTE VALIDATION APPLIES WITHIN ORIG/DEST COUNTRIES
1. NYC-IST-KUL
Originally Posted by jteezy
TK - jfk/ord-kul via ist $2519 ai - yyz-kul +~$300

one way (there) ~$1300 ai

free stopovers - choice of new 777 / old 777 / A340

ist-kul segment on MH 777

J fare - changeable / refundable (despite TK showing non-ref/promo, shows as J)

seems decent... can always change your mind

widely available starting July 4
Originally Posted by MBM3

Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by nomad1974
In the EU all advertised prices must be "all-in" and be shown for the R/T journey if one is required to purchase R/T to qualify. Simple, straightforward, transparent. WYSIWYG.
Lucky we Americans, for having the "best Congress that money can buy."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.