Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

LH: KUL-BKK oneway $8 + $54 in taxes/fees

Old Jun 5, 10, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

this is legit, i bought a flight. i have a hard time wrapping my head around it. how in the world are they making money at $8 a person? hehe
Old Jun 5, 10, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by noxben View Post
this is legit, i bought a flight. i have a hard time wrapping my head around it. how in the world are they making money at $8 a person? hehe
easy, its a tag on flight, so the seats would go unsold anyway.

Price them any higher, and noone thats just going KUL-BKK will buy them, they ll just go with MH or better yet, Air Asia.
Old Jun 5, 10, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
754 miles at $62 = 8.2 CPM, but this is a "U" fare which earns only 50% on CO (not sure about other *A), making it a whopping 16.4 CPM!
Old Jun 5, 10, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I'm seeing (on random dates) $14 fare + $115 taxes = $129 for an S fare, which earns 100% on UA. It's just under 8.4cpm, not MR worthy, but competitive with the LCCs.

(edit: this is for r/t)

This route doesn't appear to be serviced daily however.
Old Jun 5, 10, 10:43 pm

Programs: LH FTL
There is a reason why they have to price it so cheaply, TG and MH probably offer 3 flights daily between these cities whereas LH offers it x times weekly, not even daily service, so to get customers, they have to undercut the competitors
Old Jun 5, 10, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-LTP, TP-*G, HL-D, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by e-aviation View Post
There is a reason why they have to price it so cheaply, TG and MH probably offer 3 flights daily between these cities whereas LH offers it x times weekly, not even daily service, so to get customers, they have to undercut the competitors
Not to mention TG & MH are trying to compete with Air Asia's Low Cost fares!
Old Jun 5, 10, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I did this flight back in mid-January. Very empty flight. Less than a third full in Y and I think C was almost empty.

Most Y pax were Thai going back to BKK. Only a few pax (in C IIRC) were continuing on to FRA.

It can price out to be cheaper than LCCs, plus includes checked baggage and a snack (and a ride on a 747). When I booked Lufthansa USA had a discount code ($100 off fare base) that meant I only ended up paying taxes. Got 372 miles on US Airways.
Old Jun 6, 10, 12:18 am

Programs: AC *P
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
easy, its a tag on flight, so the seats would go unsold anyway.

Price them any higher, and noone thats just going KUL-BKK will buy them, they ll just go with MH or better yet, Air Asia.
+1

Or it may cost more to park the flight at KUL than the flight going empty back and to BKK. That is how Pan Am (which UA inherited) viewed the "tag on flight" from HKG to SIN.
Old Jun 6, 10, 12:31 am

Programs: Delta Diamond. SPG Plat. Hyatt Diamond. Segafredo coffee stamp card, inContinental
We've flown this one a few times, it's not always almost empty.
The lounge at KUL, however is often more than 100% full. ie. you'll not get a single vacant seat.

As someone pointed out, above, its a great deal if you're carrying luggage, Mrs Werldporks and I both have Star Alliance Gold memberships, (thanks for the status match CO !!) and we can carry a ludicrous amount of baggage on that trip.
Old Jun 6, 10, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Before the LCCs got big, the best game in BKK (if on an extended trip there) was to buy the tag-on flights from Khao San Rd. travel agents and do a sidetrip somewhere. MNL on AZ was do-able as low as $125 RT and you could get DL miles, or there was TPE around $175-200 on KL with NW miles. Or AY to SIN around $125 with DL miles (also Swissair).
Old Jun 6, 10, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Do any of those other add-on segments (to MNL, TPE) still exist?
Old Jun 6, 10, 6:30 am

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
Before the LCCs got big, the best game in BKK (if on an extended trip there) was to buy the tag-on flights from Khao San Rd. travel agents and do a sidetrip somewhere. MNL on AZ was do-able as low as $125 RT and you could get DL miles, or there was TPE around $175-200 on KL with NW miles. Or AY to SIN around $125 with DL miles (also Swissair).
You can still get the BKK-TPE tag-on on KL for < $200, and a trip on the KL 747 sure beats Air Asia.
Old Jun 6, 10, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
Back in my backpacking days around 2003, I flew Biman Bangladesh tag-on BKK-SIN for around $70 I was too cheap to splurge for AY
Old Jun 6, 10, 10:50 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Not to drive this too terribly off topic, but this works well for some of those "lounge thread" type fares.

Chris
Old Jun 6, 10, 6:45 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Anyone know of any other similar fares out of KUL

I haven't seen this LH fare before on major booking sites, but it comes up on LH.com

Search this Thread
Search Engine: