Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

DL : JFK-POS (Port of Spain, Trinidad) Rt. From $232 a.i.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AP, UA, AA

Sample date: NYC-POS Dep. Nov 19-21 $232 a.i.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL - Platinum
Turn around time in POS

So I am in NYC and need 4,000 more to keep Plat Elite (oh I guess its called medalion now ) so this is perfect... my ticket is booked for the 11/25 down and the 25th back... I have one hour and a half to get out and get back in the airport... I am assuming the airport in POS is small and this can be done?... I need this to be down and back, no time for a vacation now... Anyone have any thoughts on customs and then back through security or can I just get off plane and check back in right there at the gate?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:16 pm

I was wondering the same thing....

It would be great to spend a day there...but haven't found a cheap (enough) hotel...
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Looks like a weekday departure is required. Same day turns on Saturday are $319.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:26 pm

As usual, Raffles brings a great fare. Thank you.

hmm....quick trip back from Trinidad? I hope nobody suspects you of drugs..
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold
What a terrible code for an airport...
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:41 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/carib...b-via-pos.html

Has info about POS airport/immigration/customs....
Old Oct 21, 2009, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

POS immigration can be incredibly easy or terribly slow. It really just depends on the agents that day and how many other planes arrive prior to yours. If you end up stuck behind the VS 744 you're in trouble. When I went back in February I was through immigration about 15 minutes after they opened the doors to the plane. I got some fried chicken and used the free wifi in the airport waiting for my POS-TAB flight.

I had a WAY better time in TAB than in POS. Well worth the ~$60 extra to head up there and get out of the city. POS just isn't all that nice, IMO.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by sbm12
POS immigration can be incredibly easy or terribly slow. It really just depends on the agents that day and how many other planes arrive prior to yours. If you end up stuck behind the VS 744 you're in trouble. When I went back in February I was through immigration about 15 minutes after they opened the doors to the plane. I got some fried chicken and used the free wifi in the airport waiting for my POS-TAB flight.

I had a WAY better time in TAB than in POS. Well worth the ~$60 extra to head up there and get out of the city. POS just isn't all that nice, IMO.
I was down there earlier this year on a CO pseudo-MR. Accommodation wasn't cheap. And the taxi from the airport to the downtown area wasn't cheap, either. I can see why people prefer TAB to POS.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL, UA
Originally Posted by LtWaldo
As usual, Raffles brings a great fare. Thank you.

hmm....quick trip back from Trinidad? I hope nobody suspects you of drugs..
That was my first thought as that short a turnaround from the US to some countries (typically not Europe/Asia) is characteristic of a "mule"... so be aware you may be questioned by BOTH Trinidad and US Immigration/Customs. Hopefully that doesn't happen but be mentally prepared in case it does.

Like the others have said, if there are no other large planes arriving minutes before you and if the Immigrations officers @ Piarco are on the ball, you'll be out in 15 mins. Some airlines @ Piarco may (not sure about DL there) close counter check-in 45 mins. before departure so get your bite to eat after you check-in.

The outbound security check is 3 separate stations (id check first, walk a bit then immigration tax at the top of the escalators then body/carryon scan a few feet/metres away). Those overall are usually quite quick and efficient.

Have a safe trip & good luck!
Old Oct 26, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan - SkyMiles - HHonors
Dl= jfk>las: $300.80 - 4755 miles

Bookable at DL.com

JFK>LAS>ATL>JFK

Same day flight on Thu Dec 3rd
Old Oct 27, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Hilton - TT

Try the upside down Hilton in TT as it is worth the stay. Should be able to get a good rate on Hilton website.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by ACC2008
Try the upside down Hilton in TT as it is worth the stay. Should be able to get a good rate on Hilton website.

Hope this helps.
It is nice but figure a ~$40 and 45 minute cab ride each way.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:59 am

Programs: *Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
It is nice but figure a ~$40 and 45 minute cab ride each way.
Thanks for this! Are there any other nice hotels worth looking at? We're flying down to TT for 3.5 days and are looking for a relaxing area of the island. Any recommendations for 4-5 star hotels or is the hilton as good as it gets?

Thanks again.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by crimson2k6
Thanks for this! Are there any other nice hotels worth looking at? We're flying down to TT for 3.5 days and are looking for a relaxing area of the island. Any recommendations for 4-5 star hotels or is the hilton as good as it gets?

Thanks again.
With that long there I'd either head to TAB or get out of the main Port of Spain town. It is an industrial town, not a tourist town. There are supposed to be some nice beaches up north of town but I'm not sure that you'll find 4/5* properties up there.

I don't really consider TT to be a true luxe destination. But I was also looking at cheap lodging, not 4/5* so I don't really have sufficient personal knowledge to make recommendations about what is there. I know that there is a Hyatt right on the waterfront that has guards at the doors. Another woman on the run the weekend I went stayed there and she seemed to enjoy it but also noted that there wasn't much to (safely) do right around it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.