Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
ORD T5 will be getting PreCheck within less than 2 years, and that’s my bet. Even two years from now, I would rather avoid a transit re-screening of any and all sorts by TSA, and so I would prefer a better airside transit option.
I would certainly hope that increased acceptance by international carriers would drive adding Pre-Check and that the numbers would support a better air-side connection. And that the new International Terminal in the sky won't discourage getting anything done.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:45 pm
glg

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The geography may work, the demand may be there, but the fortress hub nature of those two Texas airports gets in the way. ORD is lucky that both AA and UA are there in major ways.
I would have thought the fortress nature would actually be beneficial to a partner. Ethiopian flies the one flight from ORD-Africa and are *A, so connection opportunities with UA, potential for them to do the same at IAH or EgyptAir is also in *. OW doesn't have any African airlines, right?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by glg
I would have thought the fortress nature would actually be beneficial to a partner. Ethiopian flies the one flight from ORD-Africa and are *A, so connection opportunities with UA, potential for them to do the same at IAH or EgyptAir is also in *. OW doesn't have any African airlines, right?
Just the BA/MN alliance out of South Africa. Nothing more than a regional carrier in fact.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by glg
Domestic fortress hubs tend to lead to somewhat higher prices for O&D traffic and incentivize the more price sensitive local catchment market to connect elsewhere to get a lower price and undermine demand and pricing power for the foreign carriers’ critical back of the flying bus traffic unless the onward traffic from the fortress hub is overwhelmingly destined to thin destinations with very limited or no competition of near equal convenience for a lot of high fare payers.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Are you suggesting that someone that would otherwise go to Chicago is going to a different city? 99.99% of people don't decide their destinations based on the airport.

Connecting traffic wouldn't have to deal with T5 security either since there is an airside bus connection.

They should do it because it will make the airport a better experience, but this is way down on the list of things that would actually influence if someone uses ORD.
If I am a European or Asian company choosing among U.S. cities where to place a new U.S. office, and I have business traffic going back and forth across the Atlantic or Pacific, I would rather have my new office it in a city with an airport with true Pre-Check (e.g. DFW, Houston, Denver, LAX, SFO) than not.

As another example, if I am Amazon and choosing which city to put HQ2, whether my staff who need to get on international flights will be easily be able to get on their flights is a factor.

Finally, it makes Chicago a more viable choice of city for international conventions if convention attendees can have true precheck when they depart.

It doesn't cost much to create a dedicated Pre-check line, and Chicago should just do it at T5. So I am glad to hear of unofficial news from valued contributor ords that this may be coming.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
If I am a European or Asian company choosing among U.S. cities where to place a new U.S. office, and I have business traffic going back and forth across the Atlantic or Pacific, I would rather have my new office it in a city with an airport with true Pre-Check (e.g. DFW, Houston, Denver, LAX, SFO) than not.

As another example, if I am Amazon and choosing which city to put HQ2, whether my staff who need to get on international flights will be easily be able to get on their flights is a factor.

Finally, it makes Chicago a more viable choice of city for international conventions if convention attendees can have true precheck when they depart.

It doesn't cost much to create a dedicated Pre-check line, and Chicago should just do it at T5. So I am glad to hear of unofficial news from valued contributor ords that this may be coming.
I understand your point but not all of the airports you list have PreCheck for their international gates. I'm almost certain there's no PreCheck at IAH Terminal D. Isn't LAX Bradley terminal PreCheck Lite which is almost useless anyway?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I understand your point but not all of the airports you list have PreCheck for their international gates. I'm almost certain there's no PreCheck at IAH Terminal D. Isn't LAX Bradley terminal PreCheck Lite which is almost useless anyway?
TBIT has true Precheck as of a few months ago IIRC.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Priorities. Let's pick a city to setup offices where TSA Pre is ready vs. a city viable for the business.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Priorities. Let's pick a city to setup offices where TSA Pre is ready vs. a city viable for the business.
Yep, I am pretty sure pre-check is not even on the list of important items. The airport, the routes and access might be but wouldn't see pre-check being on the list.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by matthewsoft
Leaving tomorrow in J on CX at 2pm, friend is also leaving in the morning on AA so we are sharing transport. Anyone know if I can use my CX BP to enter T3 and use the Flagship business lounge? AA says yes, and it makes sense since there is the T5 bus, but I wonder how the real world works. TIA!
Were you able to get through security in T3 with a CX boarding pass? This could be a great option for using the TSA precheck lanes in T3, using the flagship lounge, and then taking the shuttle to T5. The only question is whether TSA will let you through security in T3 with a CX boarding pass.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
Were you able to get through security in T3 with a CX boarding pass? This could be a great option for using the TSA precheck lanes in T3, using the flagship lounge, and then taking the shuttle to T5. The only question is whether TSA will let you through security in T3 with a CX boarding pass.
They let me through with a BA boarding pass so i would expect CX to work.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Thanks, appreciate it
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by MADPhil
I've been able to access the UA Polaris lounge in T1 on TK boarding passes as well.

Mh advice to the OP would be to allow plenty of time for the T5 shuttle as there have been reports of long lunch breaks around the 14:00 time frame.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
If I am a European or Asian company choosing among U.S. cities where to place a new U.S. office, and I have business traffic going back and forth across the Atlantic or Pacific, I would rather have my new office it in a city with an airport with true Pre-Check...

... if I am Amazon and choosing which city to put HQ2, whether my staff who need to get on international flights will be easily be able to get on their flights is a factor.
Here we are at Amazon HQ finalizing our HQ2 choice.

"Prime downtown real estate? Fast-track permitting? Tax abatements? Accessible housing? Good nonstop air connections? Good mass transit? Check, check, check, check, check, check... Yup, Chicago looks great... oh, wait, the ORD international terminal doesn't have true PreCheck? Well, forget it, then."

Don't be silly.
GUWonder and pudgym29 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I've been able to access the UA Polaris lounge in T1 on TK boarding passes as well.

Mh advice to the OP would be to allow plenty of time for the T5 shuttle as there have been reports of long lunch breaks around the 14:00 time frame.
Which have gone away....There's no breaks with the shuttle now talking with the drivers. I believer they overlapped schedules so 1-2 buses are running all time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.