Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Chicago O'Hare Terminal 5 (Intl Terminal)

Chicago O'Hare Terminal 5 (Intl Terminal)

Old Sep 16, 19, 12:03 pm
pxm

Flew out of ORD T5 mid afternoon on Thursday, 12 September. Had Pre-check (P-c), but T5 has P-c lite as others have described - you are handed a laminated card at the TSA identity check station that you give to the TSA luggage scanning agent when it is your turn, and you do not have to remove your shoes and go through a metal detector, as opposed to a scanner. The queues to get through TSA identity check and luggage/personal scanning took 45 minutes on the aforementioned date.

A word of advice to the FT community regarding T5: Avoid the last queue to the right that goes towards the scanner/metal detectors. I noted that airline crews use that queue and are given priority - go to the beginning of the line and everyone behind them has to wait. There was a large airline crew that did this, resulting in at least an extra 10 minute wait for passengers in that queue.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 8:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by pxm View Post
Flew out of ORD T5 mid afternoon on Thursday, 12 September. Had Pre-check (P-c), but T5 has P-c lite as others have described - you are handed a laminated card at the TSA identity check station that you give to the TSA luggage scanning agent when it is your turn, and you do not have to remove your shoes and go through a metal detector, as opposed to a scanner. The queues to get through TSA identity check and luggage/personal scanning took 45 minutes on the aforementioned date.

A word of advice to the FT community regarding T5: Avoid the last queue to the right that goes towards the scanner/metal detectors. I noted that airline crews use that queue and are given priority - go to the beginning of the line and everyone behind them has to wait. There was a large airline crew that did this, resulting in at least an extra 10 minute wait for passengers in that queue.
This queue is also used for disabled passengers and their families. Another reason to avoid it.
Old Oct 7, 19, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by pxm View Post

Thanks for the update for Terminal 5. When it works for my flight hours, I now generally find it faster to go through security in another terminal and take the Terminal Transfer Bus to Terminal 5.

I am surprised that there still is no separate Precheck lane now that Frontier has moved to Terminal 5.
Old Oct 10, 19, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Plat MM; Hyatt Globalist; Starwood, Marriott, Hilton Gold.
Me too. When I can help it, I refuse to go through security at T5.
Old Oct 16, 19, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by guflyer View Post
I am surprised that there still is no separate Precheck lane now that Frontier has moved to Terminal 5.
When I was last through in late September, there was a full Pre line established, complete with another gatekeeper to check you had been given one of the laminated Pre cards. Much different and better experience than the last time I was through in June.
Old Nov 7, 19, 5:35 pm

If one is flying Frontier from Terminal 5, is one allowed to go through security at Terminal 1, 2, or 3, and take the Terminal Transfer Bus to Terminal 5, or is this not allowed because one does not have a boarding pass for an international flight?

Last edited by guflyer; Nov 8, 19 at 11:24 am Reason: I made a mistake and typed "fling" instead of flying
Old Nov 8, 19, 6:26 am

If one is fling Frontier from Terminal 5, is one allowed to go through security at Terminal 1, 2, or 3, and take the Terminal Transfer Bus to Terminal 5, or is this not allowed because one does not have a boarding pass for an international flight?
If you scroll to a few older posts there are multiple discussions of this. You likely could pass security in Terminal 3 but, given the timing of the airside bus, the actual time savings is probably negligible.
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by AAguy1979 View Post
If you scroll to a few older posts there are multiple discussions of this. You likely could pass security in Terminal 3 but, given the timing of the airside bus, the actual time savings is probably negligible.
Thank you very much for your response, it is greatly appreciated. Upon searching the thread, I could not find the answer, but perhaps the search function did not work as well as intended. Whenever I have taken the TTB from T3 to T5, I have been asked to show both my boarding pass and my passport. So this made me wonder whether I would run into an issue if my boarding pass was for a domestic flight on Frontier.
Old Nov 10, 19, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Thank you very much for your response, it is greatly appreciated. Upon searching the thread, I could not find the answer, but perhaps the search function did not work as well as intended. Whenever I have taken the TTB from T3 to T5, I have been asked to show both my boarding pass and my passport. So this made me wonder whether I would run into an issue if my boarding pass was for a domestic flight on Frontier.
I posted this data point in the dedicated busing thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31531454-post237.html

tl;dr: I cleared security at T3 for my F9 flight, and just showed them my ID when asked for a passport. 10 minutes total from CP8 to gate M1.
Old Nov 11, 19, 7:17 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I am glad to know that this can be done and is very helpful for the next time when I fly F9 out of Chicago.
Old Nov 12, 19, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by linglingfool View Post
When I was last through in late September, there was a full Pre line established, complete with another gatekeeper to check you had been given one of the laminated Pre cards. Much different and better experience than the last time I was through in June.
Yes, it's changed from what it was in the early part of the summer.

Now, at some point in the middle of they evening they may stop giving out those laminated Pre cards. One evening earlier this month, I went via the PreCheck line at T5 and they didn't hand out the cards despite us all having PreCheck on our boarding passes and using the PreCheck noted line on the way to the TSA travel document checker. And an earlier time when they handed out the cards, the TSA at the screening checkpoing still wanted electronics out before letting the bins with bags go through the regular baggage scanner.

Search this Thread