Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Chicago O'Hare Terminal 5 (Intl Terminal)

Chicago O'Hare Terminal 5 (Intl Terminal)

Old Mar 20, 19, 8:26 pm
BCH

Originally Posted by ords View Post
Going to bring this thread current....

This Wednesday March 20th, will be the formal ground breaking ceremony for the Terminal 5 expansion and by default the start of the TAP program that will roughly end in 2028/2029.
Great! Any renderings of what the expanded part of T5 would look like? Or more of the same?
Old Mar 22, 19, 12:30 am

I wanted to see whether anyone could help me by providing an update about the current status of Terminal 5.

1. During the last time that I went through security in T5, there was a dedicated Precheck/business class lane but it was not open prior to my departure. Is it open at some times now? Would it likely be open on a late Sunday afternoon?

2. I have run into really long security lines in the past at Terminal 5. Are they still generally really long (particularly during the late afternoon)?

3. Can it be faster to take the shuttle bus from Terminal 5 to another terminal and then take the Terminal Transfer Bus back to terminal 5 than waiting in line at Terminal 5 if one has Precheck?

4. Is the current Precheck in Terminal 5 when there is no dedicated lane regular Precheck, or "Precheck Lite" (where one still has to take things out of one's bags, etc.)?
jjeremiah likes this.
Old Mar 22, 19, 2:45 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by guflyer View Post
I wanted to see whether anyone could help me by providing an update about the current status of Terminal 5.

1. During the last time that I went through security in T5, there was a dedicated Precheck/business class lane but it was not open prior to my departure. Is it open at some times now? Would it likely be open on a late Sunday afternoon?

2. I have run into really long security lines in the past at Terminal 5. Are they still generally really long (particularly during the late afternoon)?

3. Can it be faster to take the shuttle bus from Terminal 5 to another terminal and then take the Terminal Transfer Bus back to terminal 5 than waiting in line at Terminal 5 if one has Precheck?

4. Is the current Precheck in Terminal 5 when there is no dedicated lane regular Precheck, or "Precheck Lite" (where one still has to take things out of one's bags, etc.)?
When I went through at about 17:50 on Thursday last week the Pre-Check light was open and not busy. I cannot speak to other times and it would be a matter of luck whether the T3 to and fro would be equally crowded.
Old Mar 22, 19, 8:37 am

Conceivably, yes, it could be faster. If you check in online and don't check a bag, then you could even go straight to another terminal, clear security there, and then take the shuttle bus to T5. But I have no idea whether the TSA will let you go thru Pre at another terminal if your flight is leaving from T5, and it'd be a tremendous waste of time if you were turned away at another terminal and had to go back to T5.

I also don't know what the PreCheck Lite situation at T5 is, since tsa.gov doesn't list a Pre checkpoint at T5.
Old Mar 22, 19, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead View Post
Conceivably, yes, it could be faster. If you check in online and don't check a bag, then you could even go straight to another terminal, clear security there, and then take the shuttle bus to T5. But I have no idea whether the TSA will let you go thru Pre at another terminal if your flight is leaving from T5, and it'd be a tremendous waste of time if you were turned away at another terminal and had to go back to T5.

I also don't know what the PreCheck Lite situation at T5 is, since tsa.gov doesn't list a Pre checkpoint at T5.
There is only Pre-Check light at T5 as of last week but you can enter at another terminal and use Pre-Check as long as you don't have checked bags with you and your BP has Pre-Check on it.
Old Mar 22, 19, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
There is only Pre-Check light at T5 as of last week but you can enter at another terminal and use Pre-Check as long as you don't have checked bags with you and your BP has Pre-Check on it.
Thanks. Given the fact that TSA agents seem to operate with something approaching papal infallibility, and the fact that we're going to have our 10-month-old son with us the next time we fly from T5, I don't think I'm chancing going through security at another terminal. I don't think I'd be able to convince my wife to (a) go to check bags at T5 (b) take a shuttle from T5 to T3 (c) clear security at T3 (d) take an airside shuttle back to T5 just to get Pre - she wouldn't even walk to the other end of the terminal at MEM to go thru Pre when we flew out of there a few years ago.
Old Mar 22, 19, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead View Post

It could conceivable be a heck of a lot slower, too. I don't think the Terminal Transfer Bus is running every 5 minutes. Isn't it more like every 20 minutes?
Old Mar 22, 19, 12:59 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses. They are greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
Does this mean that one has to stand in the same line as everyone else even if they have Precheck? What happened to the line that used to be Precheck/Business/First class? Did they do away with this?
Old Mar 22, 19, 4:22 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses. They are greatly appreciated.

Does this mean that one has to stand in the same line as everyone else even if they have Precheck? What happened to the line that used to be Precheck/Business/First class? Did they do away with this?
That line is still there (I used it) and it feeds into Pre-Check light, though I don't know that they offer it to everyone. It may help to tell them you have Pre-Check. Since I am over 75 I get it either way.
Old May 4, 19, 1:18 am

Hi all, it was suggested I post this here to get more clarity.

So, I am looking at booking either a Tuesday AA flight from SMF to ORD that lands at 1:38 pm that involves a 1 hr 32 min connection. I assume this is in T3.
OR
United flight from SMF to ORD that lands at 1:00 pm that involves a 2 hr 10 min connection. I assume this is in T1.

I have a flight on Alitalia in T5 at 3:10 pm, and I prefer the AA flight, but I am a little concerned (with both flights actually) on making it on time. Are these both viable options? I am one adult, with NO checked luggage (just a carry-on), and I can run fast.
Old May 4, 19, 10:12 pm

So, I am looking at booking either a Tuesday AA flight from SMF to ORD that lands at 1:38 pm that involves a 1 hr 32 min connection. I assume this is in T3.
OR
United flight from SMF to ORD that lands at 1:00 pm that involves a 2 hr 10 min connection. I assume this is in T1.

I have a flight on Alitalia in T5 at 3:10 pm, and I prefer the AA flight, but I am a little concerned (with both flights actually) on making it on time. Are these both viable options? I am one adult, with NO checked luggage (just a carry-on), and I can run fast.
Old May 5, 19, 12:05 am

OR

Old May 6, 19, 1:28 pm

OR

Old Jun 25, 19, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Plat MM; Hyatt Globalist; Starwood, Marriott, Hilton Gold.
I'd book a longer layover than 2h 10min, but if you are going with one of these two, the AA flight should be OK. You might run fast but ORD is BIG and if you land at the end of C, you are in for a long run to get to the airside bus.
Old Jun 26, 19, 2:05 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
I'd book a longer layover than 2h 10min, but if you are going with one of these two, the AA flight should be OK. You might run fast but ORD is BIG and if you land at the end of C, you are in for a long run to get to the airside bus.
The airside TTB is now running from T1 to T5 departing from gate B1. I would advise going straight to B1 from your arrival gate to allow plenty of time for any TTB scheduling irregularities. You can look at the discussion on the TTB on the following thread. The logistics of getting from T1 all are at the end of the thread. You can only take the TTB if you have your passport and your boarding pass on your departing flight from T5

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Search this Thread