Wiki Posts
Search

Detroit recs.

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2009, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Detroit recs.

going there for the first time-

i'm planning on exploring the city itself, so i'm deciding between being based near the airport, dearborn, or in downtown detroit.

is there any safe way to avoid the $20 valet parking charges at the downtown hotels? i will have a rental car to get around, but the fees are a bit steep and might make me consider doing the commute into town each day. that said, staying downtown would be most convenient.

neighborhoods to avoid? walkable neighborhoods?
Old May 26, 2009, 5:31 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by that_guy
going there for the first time-

i'm planning on exploring the city itself, so i'm deciding between being based near the airport, dearborn, or in downtown detroit.

is there any safe way to avoid the $20 valet parking charges at the downtown hotels? i will have a rental car to get around, but the fees are a bit steep and might make me consider doing the commute into town each day. that said, staying downtown would be most convenient.

neighborhoods to avoid? walkable neighborhoods?
If you've never been to the Detroit area, The Henry Ford (aka Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum) in Dearborn is a must see and there are plenty of good places to stay out there.

I wouldn't stay in the downtown area unless all you're interested in seeing is things like the Fox Theater, Comerica Park, Greektown and the river front and walking in those areas is as safe as walking in similar areas in any other big city.

Most of the other museums are a short distance from downtown (e.g. Science, Art and Black History).

Bob H

Last edited by BobH; May 28, 2009 at 6:31 am
Old May 27, 2009, 10:10 am
Original Member

There is a parking garage adjacent to the Marriott Renaissance Center (not operated by the hotel) which might be cheaper (honestly don't know the pricing...I work in the Ren Cen so parking is never an issue for me down here). Non-valet parking isn't so easy at the other hotels (but it is available)

Really the only place where you can do without a car is staying downtown (or in Birmingham, MI...leafy wealthy suburbia with good and varied shopping and hotels ranging from Holiday Inn Express to Townsend Hotel).

The People Mover does a big loop encompassing much of what you'd be able/comfortable walking to in downtown (Fox Theatre/stadiums are just beyond it along Woodward.

The Woodward Corridor is the core of the city and the interesting areas are reasonably safe. It gets sketchy, then, for about a 5 mile stretch (buses are safe, though), until you get to Ferndale (inner ring suburb...downtown at 9 mile and Woodward), then Royal Oak, then Berkley, then Birmingham as mentioned above.

If you want to take the bus to the suburbs, you need to take a SMART (orange/suburban) bus not a DDOT (green/city) bus. There are some rules about where SMART can pickup and let you off...just ask the driver.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Priority Club, Continental Silver
I just spent Saturday touring Detroit for the first time and had a blast. I landed around 8AM, rented a car and then begin sightseeing. I stayed at the Airport Fairfield Inn on Points for easy access to the airport the next morning (had a very good shuttle service). I drove downtown then out to the suburbs. I would highly reccomend driving along Lakeshore through Gross Point, it is very pretty. I parked on the North Side of the Ren Center and it was $6 for a 24 hour period during the weekend. It was very safe. From there I walked to Comerica to see the Tigers then to The Greektown Casion and had no problems with safety. It was still early evening after the game though.

All in all, I really enjoyes the trip and was suprised that downtown seemed much safer than I expected.

I wish I had more time to do The Ford Museum, but decinded to drive and see more sights instead.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 4:43 pm
Original Member

Glad you had a nice time. It was just announced that the underground parking at Hart Plaza will now be free on Sundays. The city is much maligned but is really a great place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.