Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

ORD on 6/7: The Windy, Rainy, Lightning, Tornado City!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2008, 9:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; SPG Plat (yay!); Hertz 5-Star

My day began at 6am from LAX flying out to ABQ to catch another flight to DEN. Those flights were perfect, however; the experience getting into and out of ORD this evening was not so pleasant. DEN announced that the inbound aircraft was coming from LaGuardia Airport and they too had experienced weather delays on the East Coast. I departed my DEN flight for ORD about 40 minutes after the scheduled departure time & arrived bumpily along the way, late, but safely at ORD with an hour to catch my next flight to XNA (it was supposed to depart at 5:30pm).

This is where the weather really picked up leading to an inbound stop, ground stop, lightning scare for the ground crew, and the threat of stronger winds ahead. My UAX jet was coming inbound from Fargo and spent a good while taking the long route around some fairly gnarly weather over the Chicago area. After about an extra hour or so just circling, the jet landed at ORD and pax deplaned. Then, finally, at around 7:00pm it was our turn to try to get out ot ORD before anything worse blew in from the west. We boarded and were all on the plane at 7:15pm when a ground crew staffmember notified us of a ground-stop due to lightning. So.....we sat in the CRJ-200 from 7:15 until 7:30 when it was safe for the ground staff to begin working. They rushed to shut the door and push us into the alley. Our Jet made it into the rear of a looooong line of all sorts of aircraft waiting to depart from the 2 runways tthat ORD was using at that time. We sat in that line until around 8:00pm we were holding into position on the runway. 5 minutes after that we were FINALLY in the air on our way to XNA. We landed at the gate at around 9:15pm.

It was really one of those "Chicago Weather Delay" days for me that I had been hearing and reading about, but hadn't had the misfortune of actually experiencing it for myself.

I hope any FT'ers that were stuck in this mess eventually got out somehow. I really enjoy flying but maybe I'll avoid Chi Town as much as my routes allow, at least during the early summer.

I am now at the Wingate Hotel as I type this, an Ambien bottle in one hand and a mug of coffee near the other. It is most definately time to go nitey-nite. I've earned it!
Old Jun 7, 2008, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
I landed today at ORD at ~7:30pm with zero issues. We were about ten minutes late due to a late take off.

EDIT: I also flew out of ORD yesterdy at 4:55pm. Zero problems.

Last edited by jgsx; Jun 7, 2008 at 10:16 pm
Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:08 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
1K and first-time ORD weather experience?

Originally Posted by LurkerNoMore
It was really one of those "Chicago Weather Delay" days for me that I had been hearing and reading about, but hadn't had the misfortune of actually experiencing it for myself.
I didn't think it possible that a domestic 1K could be a newbie to Chicago's wonderful weather.

You must live a charmed life. ORD has gotten the best of me several times in the past few years, and with SFO as my home airport, ORD will get the best of me many times in the years ahead as well. I escaped yesterday, but thinking about it, the likely reason I got out (when so many didn't) was because I'd planned ahead and carried an extra day's clothing this time.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA *G
Anyone at JFK would be jealous of a 30-45 minute takeoff line during a storm.. lol.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:39 pm

that is one of the smoother issues ive heard about lately. consider yourself lucky
Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:06 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Moving to the Chicago forum.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; SPG Plat (yay!); Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I didn't think it possible that a domestic 1K could be a newbie to Chicago's wonderful weather.

You must live a charmed life. ORD has gotten the best of me several times in the past few years, and with SFO as my home airport, ORD will get the best of me many times in the years ahead as well. I escaped yesterday, but thinking about it, the likely reason I got out (when so many didn't) was because I'd planned ahead and carried an extra day's clothing this time.
Charmed? Hardly...Lucky? Maybe! This is my first ORD-related delay and, needless to say, it appears I have dodged many bullets in the past!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Today, Sunday, was much much worse weather-wise. Several inches of rain in just a few minutes downtown.

Hope the airports were OK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.