Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Parking Near Chicago Hilton (as in cheapER parking)

Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC

OK, if I'm splurging on staying at the Chicago Hilton, I suppose I shouldn't be bothered by $38 to $41/night for parking at the hotel ... but I am.

I see there is a Grant's Park South garage (Michigan Ave. at Van Buren St.) for about $24/day. Not sure that delta price is worth the hassle.

Looking for other suggestions for cheaper places or ways to park for 4 nights. Thankx.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
Ideally, you'd not have a car. Is that truly a requirement? If yes, consider the 7th Street garage or these others:

Parking Near Hilton
Old Mar 16, 2007, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cliff_rock
Ideally, you'd not have a car.
Agreed, ideally I would have no car. But the situation is that ms. jmd001 and I are flying into IND, renting a car, spending some time there, then spending some time near SBN, then 4 nights in Chicago (likely with part of a day in Evanston), then back to IND for a few more nights before returning the rental car and flying out of IND.

I have not actually priced it, but my expectation is that a pair of one-way rentals (IND-CHI then CHI-IND) plus a possible day rental in CHI would be more hassle and more expensive than keeping the rental for 13 days and paying parking when I needed it.

So, thanks for the link and the suggestion of the 7th Street Garage.

Last edited by jmd001; Mar 16, 2007 at 10:10 am
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cliff_rock
7th Street garage or these others...
In looking at the parent of the link provided, I have to wonder: All those "weekend" rates or 7-days-a-week rates?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Any chance you'd use the CTA to go to Evanston?

If so, you might want to consider parking someplace for 4 days and taking a cab over to the hotel. Union Station has a 24 hour garage with self-parking and security for $17/day, and less if you arrive on a weekend. It is right near I-94 (easiest way is to get off at Adams east, then to Clinton south. It'd be a $10 cab ride to the Hilton through the heaviest of traffic, $7 the rest of the time.

There are cheaper lots closer to the hotel around Clark and Polk, but they are not attended all the time, and I'm not sure I'd want to leave a car there overnight.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:16 am
glg

Originally Posted by jmd001
In looking at the parent of the link provided, I have to wonder: All those "weekend" rates or 7-days-a-week rates?
Most downtown lots are only filled to capacity during weekdays, so they'll have cheaper rates on weekends. As for the full week rates, they're probably a little more than 5 weekdays would cost, but not much.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glg
Most downtown lots are only filled to capacity during weekdays, so they'll have cheaper rates on weekends. As for the full week rates, they're probably a little more than 5 weekdays would cost, but not much.
I had a typo in my original question. Let me rephrase:
Are the rates shown in the "Parking Near Hilton" link in Post #2 only for weekend days or for any day of the week?
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:55 am

The Millennium Park underground garage has got to be one of the biggest bargains in town - $16/24 hours.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:52 pm

Ind-sbn-chicago Hilton

Don't need a car in Chicago Proper?

Leave the car @ SBN, or with friends in area (or return to rental company), take the South Shore into the City, walk or transport from Station to the Chicago Hilton. Do same in reverse, retrieve or re-rent car and head to IND.

Parking @ SBN remote lot and I believe even the front row area would be cheaper than the city.

Chicago Hilton has shuttle that runs to/from the loop. And of course a taxi and EL avail for other ventures.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suzieq
Leave the car @ SBN...
An interesting idea. I don't think some of our time constraints of when we need to be where will make the suggestion feasible, but will look into it. Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:57 am

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jmd001
Are the rates shown in the "Parking Near Hilton" link in Post #2 only for weekend days or for any day of the week?
I cannot say for sure. I recall that they were 'any day', at least for 7th street. Then I just stumbled on that link in context of a weekend event. That location would be relatively remote for weekday Loop business parking.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:55 am

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
Park for free!

Drive into Chicago, check into the Hilton and then drive north to a small side street, park your car (for free), take a cab, bus or el back to the hotel, 3 days later retrieve your car. Voila! It's hassle-free.

I have done this repeatedly and not experienced any problem. After all, Chicagoans use their streets for parking. Why shouldn't you?

NB: Don't park around Wrigley Field as you need a neighborhood sticker.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:02 am
glg

Originally Posted by uncle wiggily
Drive into Chicago, check into the Hilton and then drive north to a small side street, park your car (for free), take a cab, bus or el back to the hotel, 3 days later retrieve your car. Voila! It's hassle-free.

I have done this repeatedly and not experienced any problem. After all, Chicagoans use their streets for parking. Why shouldn't you?

NB: Don't park around Wrigley Field as you need a neighborhood sticker.
Not just around Wrigley. If doing this, check the entire block for restrictions. There is zoned parking throughout Lakeview and Lincoln Park.

Also, not recommended after 6PM, parking may take a while to find.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks, uncle wiggily. I have certainly considered your "free parking" suggestion. My paranoia is that I don't know the neighborhoods of near downtown well enough to pick a place where I would be relatively confident that the car would still be there in one undamaged piece when I came back for it.

...and glg. In SF practically EVERY neighborhood requires a sticker for parking beyond nominally 2 hours, depending on day of week, etc. So I know the concept. Are areas where stickers are required clearly posted with signs? Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
Where I go:

I usually take the Outer Drive North to Irving Park Road, exit onto Marine Drive (going North) and park on one of the side streets or Marine Drive itself. It is a "safe" neighborhood, IMHO.
There are several express buses which I then take back downtown ($2.00 each way). The whole thing takes an hour and I get a tourist's ride on the way back downtown.
One thing to keep in mind during Spring, Summer and Fall is the street cleaning ordinances (once a month) which is clearly listed on the signs.
Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.