Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago City Center Hotel or The Allerton Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Chicago City Center Hotel or The Allerton Hotel

I could't find any reviews on Chicago City Center Hotel in any of the FT forums...

Where would you stay if the price is pretty much the same? Chicago City Center Hotel (king non-smoking room) for $91.17 all in or The Allerton (Petite Classic Non Smoking Room) for $95.78 all in?

I'm staying one night and will be leaving the hotel back to ORD for a 7:45am flight... planning on taking the train from the hotel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JCinNYC
I could't find any reviews on Chicago City Center Hotel in any of the FT forums...

Where would you stay if the price is pretty much the same? Chicago City Center Hotel (king non-smoking room) for $91.17 all in or The Allerton (Petite Classic Non Smoking Room) for $95.78 all in?

I'm staying one night and will be leaving the hotel back to ORD for a 7:45am flight... planning on taking the train from the hotel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Are you asking about the "W Chicago City Center"? W's are usually head and shoulders above places like the Allerton, but this W is the old MidLand hotel and reviews are hit or miss.

In these cases, your friend should always be www.tripadvisor.com

In terms of the train, the W (assuming its the W), has the leg up, as the train is a block or two away, no big deal, although I'm not sure about train service that early in the morning.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 5:28 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
MAJOR difference in location.

The W (former Midland) is near the State of Ill building and the subway stops there.

Allerton is North Michigan avenue a cab ride away from State Street subway stops. Tho better shopping and evening dining in this area...

Unless the former Midland has been major renovated (it was old 15 years ago when I left Chicago) I would not consider it unless the area is your choice for business (streets somewhat roll up after 6pm in the area).

The El takes upwards of an hour to get to ORD from downtown and runs 24 hours but limited service very early Service Frequency:
Trains run every 3 to 12 minutes in weekday rush hours, and every 6 to 20 minutes at most other times. In all stations, the time of scheduled arrival of all trains is posted.

Overnight (Night Owl) service from 1:30am to 4:30am varies: Red Line runs every 15 minutes, Blue Line runs every 60 minutes

Really for a 7:30am departure I would stongly suggest an ORD-area hotel .. tho the prices may be higher. Look for something with shuttle bus service. Leaving a local hotel at 5:30am for a 7:30am flight is a lot better than leaving downtown at 4am ...
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys.

I don't think this hotel is a W. The website says: Chicago City Centre Hotel and Sports Club. I didn't find it in tripadvisor either, hence my post here. Their website is:

http://www.chicc.com/

I got these two hotels through the travelzoo weekly top 20 newsletters... The Allerton was listed a couple of weeks ago with a special rate of $83 for their 83th anniversary. This other one "Chicago City Centre" was listed this week. Its location is:

300 East Ohio St.

That's why I'm kinda clueless...

BTW, I thought about staying by ORD, but we want to go out for dinner and drinks (hit some bars/clubs) so not sure if the airport area will have nice restaurants, or if it'll be a good idea to stay by ORD, go downtown and come back late night/early morning to the ORD hotel... wouldn't transportation be difficult to find @ 1am?
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:57 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Its the Holiday Inn Chicago City Centre and Sports Center ...http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-3584..._city_centre-i (reading a few reviews .. you might notice the one 'we stayed at the hotel on our class trip and it was great' .. not really a glowing recommendation of a hotel from a high schooler!)

and yes it is in the same area as the Allerton .. both a slight cab ride away from the subway... but not tooo far. You might get closer with a connection from Blue Line to another line but not sure (I would cab from State Street exit on Blue line).

So you want to get into town, drinks and dinner and go out (some places will be a far cab if you want to go 'north') and get home at 1am (cabs will be plentiful) ... and yet catch a 7:30am flight? That will leave you very little sleep time .. 1 hour subway back to ORD and then your 'applicable' checkin time. You might want to look into which hotel has Continental Bus service directly at the door and what time they start running in the morning . that would be a lot easier.

I have been known to go ORD to city on a 5-6 hour layover for lunch .. but that was morning arrival/afternoon departure... and I know my way around and had no luggage!

I guess a lot depends on your arrival (where you are coming in from .. if it is a short/long flight) and your departure (the next day if you need to sleep on the plane or be ready for meetings)....
Old Mar 8, 2007, 8:14 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Beware: The Allerton has VERY small rooms. VERY small. It's fine otherwise, but people tend to be dissapointed if they don't know about it.
Not familiar with the other hotel.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
The Allerton is on Michigan Avenue, a much more pleasant location than the Holiday Inn.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JGR01
The W (former Midland) is near the State of Ill building and the subway stops there.

OT, but I thought the old Midland was now the Allegro. If not, what did the Allegro used to be?
Old Mar 8, 2007, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
OT, but I thought the old Midland was now the Allegro. If not, what did the Allegro used to be?
The Bismarck which is on Randolph St. - also the home of the Cadillac Palace Theater and The Color Purple!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:04 am

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
The Allerton..much more pleasant location...
Completely concur. Further - I have stayed at the HICC, and it is very bland. The Allerton, at least from the outside, has more charm.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by cliff_rock
Completely concur. Further - I have stayed at the HICC, and it is very bland. The Allerton, at least from the outside, has more charm.
But the rooms are VERY small, as was previously pointed out. The HI is not as good a location but the difference is not that big.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:34 am

Agree with the other posters. The one (and only) time I was at the Allerton the small rooms reminded me of some European dives I've been at.
When I have to take a very early flight from ORD (usually for MR's) I try to stay at the Hilton at the airport and have a quick walk (unaffected by weather) to check-in. Take the L-downtown and enjoy the city!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:47 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
The Bismarck which is on Randolph St. - also the home of the Cadillac Palace Theater and The Color Purple!
Thanks. I forgot about the Bismark.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerseyJoe
When I have to take a very early flight from ORD (usually for MR's) I try to stay at the Hilton at the airport and have a quick walk (unaffected by weather) to check-in. Take the L-downtown and enjoy the city!
Thanks, I will! hoping weather gets better by the end of the month.

I read the train runs 24hrs, how often does the blue line come after midnight? (if staying at a hotel by the airport)

Based on the responses, seems like The Allerton is the winner, thanks guys ^
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by JCinNYC
I read the train runs 24hrs, how often does the blue line come after midnight? (if staying at a hotel by the airport)
US transit companies are pretty good about putting schedules online:
http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/rail/rail.html

BillJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.