Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendation for inexpensive logging near Wrigley Field

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Recommendation for inexpensive logging near Wrigley Field

Hi,

The first weekend in March (1st-3rd) I am going to Chicago to attend a conference and visit some friends that have come long way from Europe. Since my brother will also joining me, there is not enough space at my friends place.

My friends are living at the corner of Sheridan Road and W. Dakin Street, which is right on the Red CTA line (Sheridan Station). Besides Wrigley Field, I am unsure this area has many other attractions, so it's a bit hard to come up with stuff using the regular search engines.

I would prefer to stay as close to them as possible as most of the social activities (i.e. late night parties, etc) will be at their place.

Looking on google.com, I came up with a number of no-name places, but most of these places got horrible reviews by hostel travels and such. I am looking for a simple, but clean room with a shower (small hotel, B&B fine) for two people that is safe and clean.

The budget is about $100-$120 (inc. tax) per night (for two people total). Does anyone have any recommendations?

The closest I found using the search engines is the Days Inn at Lincoln Park, but its still 1.5 miles away. There is also the Inn at Lincoln Park which is a little bit cheaper. Also, I heard that the Red CTA stays open all night long, I guess if there are no places right near there, it would be good to stay on something that's a short hop away by public transport.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
George

Last edited by pred02; Feb 21, 2007 at 5:21 pm
Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:48 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
You've got quite a lot of options. First things first:
1. Yes, the Red Line (and parallel bus routes 22-Clark and 151-Sheridan) run all night on 20-30 minute headways. The hotels around North Michigan Avenue are quite convenient to all three of these transit routes.

2. There are a few reputable hotels in the Lakeview ("Wrigleyville") area, notably a Days Inn at Diversey and Clark. B&Bs also abound nearby, although I don't have any specific recommendations. (However, almost all hotels in the city of Chicago are downtown or out by ORD/MDW.)

3. There's a very wide variety of things to do around Wrigley Field, notably the city's best theatres and cinemas and hundreds of bars, clubs, and restaurants. You won't be bored.

Last edited by paytonc; Feb 21, 2007 at 7:08 pm
Old Feb 21, 2007, 6:58 pm

Programs: NW, AA
Days Inn et al.

I have stayed at both hotels and can recommend them. The days inn is much cleaner and more modern but also (slightly) more expensive.

That whole area is cool.

Plus, the red line is really, really close.

It would be my recommendation.

Jayson
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:56 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
don't chop down any trees, a fine is sure to follow
Old Feb 22, 2007, 5:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Titanium
There is the Best Western Hawthorne Terrace at 3434 N Broadway - would only be a few blocks away. Should be in the price range.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you guys for the advice.

I checked out the Best Western but it is around $160 per night. I think I will go with one of the Inn's at Lincoln Park, as it's in the proximity of my friend. My friend is a student and I am still kind of young, so this area works out perfectly.

Again, thanks for the advice and feedback. Anyone travel ling to Boston, I'll make sure to give you guys a few pointers out!
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
don't chop down any trees, a fine is sure to follow
Yeah, I'd head up to Wisconsin for my logging.

I know a couple people who have stayed at the Majestic and said it was fine and about $120 per night. I think it is also the closest hotel to Wrigley Field.

http://www.cityinns.com/majestic/
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Yeah, I'd head up to Wisconsin for my logging.

I know a couple people who have stayed at the Majestic and said it was fine and about $120 per night. I think it is also the closest hotel to Wrigley Field.

http://www.cityinns.com/majestic/

There is the "Heart of Chicago" motel, Best Western, Motel 6 Downtown, Hapton Inn downtown.

Of course the quality varies of each hotel.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Gay_Traveler
There is the "Heart of Chicago" motel, Best Western, Motel 6 Downtown, Hapton Inn downtown.

Of course the quality varies of each hotel.
Although, having driven past the Heart 'o Chicago many times, it looks positively scary. I'm guessing hourly rates are available.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:45 pm

Talking

Although, having driven past the Heart 'o Chicago many times, it looks positively scary. I'm guessing hourly rates are available.

Well they asked for "affordable logging"
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:15 am

I believe there is also a Surf Hotel and Surf Street which is only a few blocks (in the right direction) from Clark/Diversey. Since I lived in the neighborhood (on Wellington) its been extensively remodeled from the xxxxx it used to be.
The Days Inn was acceptable the last time I stayed, but at $160/night its way over-priced. Highly recommend downtown and the bus right to the stadium.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:37 am

Not one Mr. T joke in the entire thread? Wow.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by blort
Not one Mr. T joke in the entire thread? Wow.
Maybe if Wrigley Field was in Lake Forest.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I thought the Days Inn @ Lincoln Park (Lincoln & Clark) was closed for remodeling? Might want to call them directly before making a reservation.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:51 pm

Maybe if Wrigley Field was in Lake Forest.
What is a Lake Forest?
I am a city boy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.