Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

How do U deal with speeding tix in Cook County, IL these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz

I suppose this could arguably be OMNI territory, but I hope that you all will indulge me.

Growing up in Chicago it seemed like there were a couple of pretty well-"known" precepts about getting speeding tickets (notwithstanding claims of the Outer Drive remaining the world's last civilized outpost of collective bargaining...):

Does anyone know if this kind of thing is still true, and applies across Cook County?

My best friend just got a ticket in Oak Park. Here's his description:

Problem: 31mph in a 20mph zone. Ridgeland Avenue in Oak Park. Actually it’s a 30mph zone normally, and it is one of the major north south thoroughfares through OP. 20mph when skool kids are out. OOOPS! $75 ticket, which may be doubled since it’s a school zone. Also, I understand that since it’s a school violation I cant just plead guilty by mail. I have to go to court in Melrose Park and be tarred and feathered.
      What's the best way to deal with such things these days? Plead Guilty? Not Guilty?
      Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:30 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
      It's been a few years, but I believe the procedure is still that you show up and tell the baliff what you intend to plead.

If you plea out that way then you can get supervision. But if the cop or the attorney is not there, you don't actually plead guilty until you get in front of the judge. That happened to me once - the Evanston city attorney didn't show, and the judge got REAL p-d off and told everybody that even though they had told the bailiff that they planned on pleading gulity, it wasn't official yet and that they had the right to plead not guilty. Then he started calling people rapid-fire and started outright dismissing charges.
      Old Sep 27, 2006, 4:13 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
      I did the "go to school" routine. It took part of a Saturday, was really stupid, and then the ticket didn't go on my record. Not too bad, actually.
      Old Sep 27, 2006, 4:25 pm
      Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
      Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
      If you plea out that way then you can get supervision.
      Supervision is the best decision to get IMO, IF you have the time to go to court.

Next best bet is traffic school if you don't have time to go to court, simply follow instructions on evenlope that came with the ticket. Besides attending classes, they have internet traffic school available.

On a side note, I got a speeding ticket in a small town in Indiana and did not have time to go to the trial date. I hired a local attorney who praticed at that court to appear for me. Forget how much I paid but the attorney was able to get a supervision deal for me and no ticket on the record. ^

Good luck.

--
      Old Sep 27, 2006, 5:23 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
      Just change your address to 1060 West Addison and forget about it.
      Old Sep 27, 2006, 5:24 pm
      Original Poster

This is the kicker in my friend's case, though:

Also, I understand that since it’s a school violation I cant just plead guilty by mail. I have to go to court in Melrose Park and be tarred and feathered.
      I think he must mean Maywood. In any case, he's GOT to report.

Uh Oh. I just found this on the Circuit Court of Cook County website...doesn't seem to bode well...
      Many people who receive a traffic ticket come to court and request an order of supervision. This disposition is authorized in most traffic violations that are punishable by fine only. However, judges may not grant supervision in the following cases:
        When a judge grants an order of supervision, either payment of a fine or attendance at Traffic Safety School or both is usually required. If a person fails to comply with any requirement imposed as part of the order of supervision, a judgment of conviction can be entered and additional fines and costs can be imposed.

A person placed on supervision is under the court's jurisdiction for four months. If no further violations are brought to the court's attention during that time, the case will be dismissed and the defendant discharged. However, if the court is notified of a violation within this time, a hearing will be scheduled and the violator notified. At the hearing, if the prosecutor proves that the violation occurred, the court can impose any sanction for the offense that the law allows.

In the past, orders of supervision were not reported to the Illinois Secretary of State. However, effective October 1, 2000, the Clerk of the Circuit Court is required by law to report all dispositions of supervision to the Illinois Secretary of State. These reports are confidential and can only be used to provide the court, law enforcement agencies and the Illinois Secretary of State with information. This information cannot be used to suspend or revoke driving privileges or be made available to insurance companies.
        Does not look good...
        Old Sep 27, 2006, 5:28 pm
        Original Poster

Originally Posted by tev9999
        Just change your address to 1060 West Addison and forget about it.
        Shoot. That's the address I already put on all of my IDs.

I'm just tellin' you right NOW, I am NOT changing it to 333 W. 35th.

That said, I HATE Illinois Nazis, but I'm not too stressed about it given that the new Oldsmobiles are in early this year.
        Old Sep 27, 2006, 6:55 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
        How did you find a street in Cook County that wasn't so congested with bumper-to-bumper traffic 24x7 that you were capable of exceeding the speed limit?

I haven't managed that in five or six years (when I got caught in an industrial stretch on Howard Street going 10 over the limit, paid the fine...)
        Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:53 pm
        Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
        How did you find a street in Cook County that wasn't so congested with bumper-to-bumper traffic 24x7 that you were capable of exceeding the speed limit?

I haven't managed that in five or six years (when I got caught in an industrial stretch on Howard Street going 10 over the limit, paid the fine...)
        You just gotta accelerate faster to get up to speed in a shorter distance!
        Old Sep 28, 2006, 1:12 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
        A friend of mine was in Chicago traffic court a few years back. As was normal then, the judge said to a group of the people there: "okay, everybody, here's the deal: you can go watch the safe driving video, and we'll expunge the ticket from your record as long as you don't do it again within X months." There's this pause. Then this guy pipes up "Judge, I already saw the video!"

The judge got this disgusted look and told him just to go watch the video--or so I heard.

-Hayden
        Old Sep 28, 2006, 1:16 pm
        Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
        Originally Posted by Jakebeth
        In the past, orders of supervision were not reported to the Illinois Secretary of State. However, effective October 1, 2000, the Clerk of the Circuit Court is required by law to report all dispositions of supervision to the Illinois Secretary of State. These reports are confidential and can only be used to provide the court, law enforcement agencies and the Illinois Secretary of State with information. This information cannot be used to suspend or revoke driving privileges or be made available to insurance companies.
        so a cop might be able to see how many supervisions one has had but the good piece of news is that nothing goes to the insurance companies, the greater evil of the two for sure. ^

--
        Old Sep 28, 2006, 5:49 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can do traffic school online...it's not that bad.

(I should know, I have a Ph.D. in it. )
        Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:25 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
        Originally Posted by UNITED959
        You can do traffic school online...it's not that bad.

(I should know, I have a Ph.D. in it. )
        Right - I forgot about the online option. My ticket was a couple years ago, before online school. Mrs. Milepig had a ticket recently and did the online school, said it was a hoot.
        Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:52 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
        Originally Posted by milepig
        Mrs. Milepig had a ticket recently and did the online school, said it was a hoot.
        Can you hire a high school kid to do the online school for you?
        Old Sep 29, 2006, 5:25 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
        Whatever happened to bribing some politician?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.