Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Where would you take 'tourists' to dinner in Chicago...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where would you take 'tourists' to dinner in Chicago...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:37 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Jakebeth
Hey chigoeditor - is Ehtiopian Diamond the same place that used to be Addis Ababa?

Either way, was it any good?
No, it's not what used to be Addis Ababa (that was closer to Wrigley Field but has just reopened in Evanston where New Japan used to be located). But Ethiopian Diamond was great when I was there. I've always been a Mama Desta's fan, but I think I'll move my business to Ethiopian Diamond...the menu is larger, the space is much nicer, the staff was as friendly if not friendlier and the food was great.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:22 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by Gay_Traveler
Mams's is my favorite

Mama Desta's Red Sea
3216 N. Clark St., Chicago
Tel: (773) 935-7561
Oooh... not a fan, personally.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:24 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by TravelScholar
Are you seriously serious? I guess I can't speak to the Chicago Flat Top Grill, but there is one here in Fort Wayne that's TERRIBLE! I *always* have mystery food that comes off the grill that I did NOT put in my bowl. I am allergic to mushrooms. The last time I went there, I used the "white stick" for food allergies, because I'd been getting mystery food on a pretty consistent basis. Well, even with the "food allergy" stick, I still got a mushroom in my food somehow.

Thier advertising slogan is "What's in your bowl?" And every time, it's a mystery!!

Anyway, personally, I would stay away from Flat Top Grill.
Never happens to me at FTG on West Washington. My bowl comes back with my bowl stuff in it, and no surprises. What's more, we're there for the lunch rush and I'm amazed I get my bowl at all, with so much going on at the grill, but it always does and it's always delicious (ok, not always, sometimes I experiment a bit too much).
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:54 am

Do you like Greek? On Halsted there is a place called Athena's. Free valet parking and a menu and service level you would enjoy.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:32 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Some top restaurants that have some of Chicago's best chefs might include: Arun's, Avec, Tru, Alenia, Spring, Blackbird

--
Can no longer recommend Blackbird. Blackbird, the restaurant that throws too many items into the pot, complex does not always make better IMO and last night confirmed my personal belief that Blackbird is too complex for their own good. I had not been for quite a few years. Went last night with my parents as my Mom had wanted to go to Blackbird for awhile. Dined on the following.

crispy confit of swan creek farm suckling pig with cavollo nero, shaved chiogga beets, horseradish and banylus vinegar, so good we ordered two, but could have done without the cavollo nero, it did not add but subracted.

braised octopus with fresh hummus, charred ramps, sesame brittle and chickpeas, VERY tender and flavorful octopus but the rest, ehh.

sauteed maryland soft shell crab with smoked onions, roasted beets, horseradish cream and juniper, parents both had this dish and did not share so I'm assuming good.

sauteed wild king salmon with local asparagus, candied black olives, saffron caviar and califlower almond puree. overcooked salmon, seemed like something off of a steam table.

roasted half grimaud farms muscovy duck breast and confit with fresh hearts of palm, mustard greens, pepperoncini and amaro. excellent

slow roasted sunset farm baby lamb with fried moels, favas, herbed ricotta, spring radishes and wild flower honey. excellent but lamb was VERY rare when MR was requested.

braised pork belly and knackwurst 'choucroute' with fingerlings, crunchy sauerkraut and celery root puree. Knackwurst seemed store bought, nothing special. Pork belly was delicious.

buckwheat 'crepaze' with rhubarb consomme, candied celery and sicilian pistachio ice cream. Excellent crepaze with carmelized sugar coating the individual layers of the crepaze, skip the candied celery.

meyer lemon mousse with white chocolate, anise and winter citrus - nothing special, very so-so.

I had the cheese course, only standout on its own was the blue persille de malzieu, outstanding.
capriole farms 'julianna' - goat's milk, greenville, indiana - with pickled grapes
colorouge- cow's milk, fort collins, colorado- with plum mostarda
big bang -raw cow's milk, westfield vermont - with candied kumquats
hopeful tomme-raw cow's and goat's milk, thomasville, georgia -with smoked almonds
persille de malzieu- sheep's milk, france- with caramelized onions

Service was good until the dessert course, then forgotten coffee, forgotten liquors, etc etc. Very much solidified my not returning.

--
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Service was good until the dessert course, then forgotten coffee, forgotten liquors, etc etc. Very much solidified my not returning.

--
I can't believe this restaurant has been around for so long. It's been a good 4 years since I've been...there are too many other places to try.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:23 pm

OMG how much did you spend at Blackbird?

Can no longer recommend Blackbird. Blackbird, the restaurant that throws too many items into the pot, complex does not always make better IMO and last night confirmed my personal belief that Blackbird is too complex for their own good. I had not been for quite a few years. Went last night with my parents as my Mom had wanted to go to Blackbird for awhile. Dined on the following.

crispy confit of swan creek farm suckling pig with cavollo nero, shaved chiogga beets, horseradish and banylus vinegar, so good we ordered two, but could have done without the cavollo nero, it did not add but subracted.

braised octopus with fresh hummus, charred ramps, sesame brittle and chickpeas, VERY tender and flavorful octopus but the rest, ehh.

sauteed maryland soft shell crab with smoked onions, roasted beets, horseradish cream and juniper, parents both had this dish and did not share so I'm assuming good.

sauteed wild king salmon with local asparagus, candied black olives, saffron caviar and califlower almond puree. overcooked salmon, seemed like something off of a steam table.

roasted half grimaud farms muscovy duck breast and confit with fresh hearts of palm, mustard greens, pepperoncini and amaro. excellent

slow roasted sunset farm baby lamb with fried moels, favas, herbed ricotta, spring radishes and wild flower honey. excellent but lamb was VERY rare when MR was requested.

braised pork belly and knackwurst 'choucroute' with fingerlings, crunchy sauerkraut and celery root puree. Knackwurst seemed store bought, nothing special. Pork belly was delicious.

buckwheat 'crepaze' with rhubarb consomme, candied celery and sicilian pistachio ice cream. Excellent crepaze with carmelized sugar coating the individual layers of the crepaze, skip the candied celery.

meyer lemon mousse with white chocolate, anise and winter citrus - nothing special, very so-so.

I had the cheese course, only standout on its own was the blue persille de malzieu, outstanding.
capriole farms 'julianna' - goat's milk, greenville, indiana - with pickled grapes
colorouge- cow's milk, fort collins, colorado- with plum mostarda
big bang -raw cow's milk, westfield vermont - with candied kumquats
hopeful tomme-raw cow's and goat's milk, thomasville, georgia -with smoked almonds
persille de malzieu- sheep's milk, france- with caramelized onions

--
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Gay_Traveler
OMG how much did you spend at Blackbird?
4+ bills, as a family we LOVE wine and always order 2 different bottles to start so that is a fixed cost Pop treated this time, I get to treat for upcoming Father's Day at Osteria di Tramonto http://www.cenitare.com/
We've dined at RT lounge and it was wonderful, looking forward to this place even though I'm not a big fan of Italian.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:12 am

4+ bills, as a family we LOVE wine and always order 2 different bottles to start so that is a fixed cost Pop treated this time, I get to treat for upcoming Father's Day at Osteria di Tramonto http://www.cenitare.com/
We've dined at RT lounge and it was wonderful, looking forward to this place even though I'm not a big fan of Italian.
If you havent been, try Zealous. I was amazed at how great the food was.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
I was going to write this long diatribe, but I'm just not enough of a foodie. I'd be curious to hear others thoughts:
  • I love the Charlie Trotters 'experience', but have gotten sick each time I've eaten there (maybe 3?). I'm assuming that it's just because some of the ingredients don't agree with me; nobody else got sick. I also find eating there a bit of a chore at this point given that so many of their favorite dishes are fish and squab. While they're clearly prepared in the best ways possible, if you're not a fan of those fare, it's just not the same dining experience as eating something you crave.
  • By contrast, I absolutely LOVED Tru. I found the menu much more mainstream, and the focus on dessert made the entire experience that much more fun.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:20 pm

I was going to write this long diatribe, but I'm just not enough of a foodie. I'd be curious to hear others thoughts:
  • I love the Charlie Trotters 'experience', but have gotten sick each time I've eaten there (maybe 3?). I'm assuming that it's just because some of the ingredients don't agree with me; nobody else got sick. I also find eating there a bit of a chore at this point given that so many of their favorite dishes are fish and squab. While they're clearly prepared in the best ways possible, if you're not a fan of those fare, it's just not the same dining experience as eating something you crave.
  • By contrast, I absolutely LOVED Tru. I found the menu much more mainstream, and the focus on dessert made the entire experience that much more fun.

I am in the same boat. I've given up trying to "get" Charlie Trotters. I've never been overly impressed with my meals there. On one visit a waiter dumped two glasses of ice water on me. For the pleasure of sitting for two hours in a soaked shirt and jacket, I was given a free dessert for my trouble. BFD! Personally, I find Chuck's public persona and attitude repugnant. After his publicity stunt over foie gras, I have pledged not to give him another dime. Tru is still my favorite and while the food is excellent, the service and experience is spectacular. I try new spots and have done most of the 4* restaurants in the city, but I always go back to Tru.^

Last edited by DataPlumber; Jun 8, 2007 at 1:48 pm Reason: i cannot type
Old Jun 8, 2007, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I agree, I've enjoyed my experiences at Tru much more than those at Trotter's.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959
I agree, I've enjoyed my experiences at Tru much more than those at Trotter's.
Agreed but it has been a LONG time since I've been back and the SO has wanted to go, so maybe this summer, I still think we'll go to Alinea before going back to Trotters.

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Personally, I find Chuck's public persona and attitude repugnant. After his publicity stunt over foie gras, I have pledged not to give him another dime.
I missed it, what did he do ?
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:29 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA
I'm visiting Chicago for the first time next week. I'll be staying at the Hotel Indigo downtown on West Division from 6/14-6/17. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants or bars in that area?
Old Jun 9, 2007, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by PHLJJS
I'm visiting Chicago for the first time next week. I'll be staying at the Hotel Indigo downtown on West Division from 6/14-6/17. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants or bars in that area?
What cuisine to you like ?

Most of the below has been reviewed in the Chicago Forum, just do a search.

Within walking distance of your hotel:
You have a tapas place in your hotel called Phi.
Tons of bars in the area you won’t have any problem finding those.
Steak: http://www.gibsonssteakhouse.com/
Upscale Vietnamese: Le Colonial
Seafood: McCormick & Schmick's

A quick carbide away are the restaurants of Old Town area like:
Upscale Mexican; http://www.salpicon.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.