FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-455/)
-   -   Ann Arbor to London, ON - better to drive 6/30 or 7/1? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest/568875-ann-arbor-london-better-drive-6-30-7-1-a.html)

haubd Jun 13, 2006 1:10 pm

Ann Arbor to London, ON - better to drive 6/30 or 7/1?

Hi everybody,

We'll be driving from Ann Arbor to London, ON, to a wedding early afternoon on the 7/1. We can either leave Friday (6/30) after 2pm (but could also leave until about 9pm) or Saturday (7/1) morning.

Since this is the July 4 weekend and also Canada day, how bad traffic do we have to expect, which route would you recommend (Port Huron or Windsor), and especially, which time should we drive?

Thanks
David

BobH Jun 13, 2006 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by haubd
Hi everybody,

We'll be driving from Ann Arbor to London, ON, to a wedding early afternoon on the 7/1. We can either leave Friday (6/30) after 2pm (but could also leave until about 9pm) or Saturday (7/1) morning.

Since this is the July 4 weekend and also Canada day, how bad traffic do we have to expect, which route would you recommend (Port Huron or Windsor), and especially, which time should we drive?

Thanks
David

What ever you do, avoid M14 and the US23 - I94 intersection, work around is to take Huron Parkway to Elsworth to Hewitt and get on 94 there.

I'd go on Friday ...

We usually cross in Detroit at the bridge, if you leave at about 2 PM, you should be there by 3.

One other thought -- while passports aren't 'required', I wouldn't go to Canada without one.

Bob H

haubd Jun 13, 2006 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by BobH
What ever you do, avoid M14 and the US23 - I94 intersection, work around is to take Huron Parkway to Elsworth to Hewitt and get on 94 there.

Thanks Bob, we have already had our experiences with that construction...for the last couple times going AA to DTW :mad:

Originally Posted by BobH

One other thought -- while passports aren't 'required', I wouldn't go to Canada without one.

Bob H

Me neither, especially since they wouldn't let me into neither Canada nor the US without it...There was a reason I was almost beaten up yesterday during the Soccer Worldcup game US - Czech Republic :D :cool:

Thanks again,
David

candaceg Jun 14, 2006 11:34 am

The good news is that the US23/I94 construction is supposed to wrap up by the end of June. According to MDOT it will be over in 16 days - meaning 6/30.

I don't think there will be much of a difference between Friday and Saturday traffic, but I would avoid going through downtown Detroit between about 3:30 and 5:30 on Friday afternoon.

I have found that the Port Huron route is faster most of the time - the roads are better, and you don't lose all the time putzing through Windsor on surface streets. That border crossing is much less likely to be backed up, especially on the way back into the US.

We are driving through Canada to get to Cape Cod next week, and my husband will be picking me up at work in downtown Detroit and we'll get back on 94 to go up to Port Huron instead of going across the street to the tunnel...