Reload this Page >

best bars and clubs - Chicago

Old May 8, 04, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine

Ok... so apart from restaurants.... I need some good places to go afterwards. Im looking for trendy, cool places with lots of eye candy. I suppose the W bars are probably on the list, but Im sure there are many others. To finish off the night, a dance club would be nice... as long as the crowd is not a teenage popping pills type...

Thanks!!!
Old May 10, 04, 12:35 am
Original Poster

bumping this up............................
Old May 10, 04, 3:48 pm

Well, I don't really specialize in the kind of bars you would probably go to . . . but off the top of my head, you might consider Le Passage (http://entertainment.metromix.chicagotribune.com/top/1,1419,M-Metromix-Home-!PlaceDetail-21169,00.html).

Crobar is also huge in Chicago (http://entertainment.metromix.chicagotribune.com/top/1,1419,M-Metromix-Home-!PlaceDetail-3592,00.html). When I moved away, there was another huge mega club getting ready to open down by the river. . name alludes me right now. Aside from Crobar, though, my feeling is that most of the big clubs are on the cheesy side. For something more upscale, you'll have better luck I think with the hotels or smaller loungey places. The W on Lakeshore, btw, is especially nice.

I moved away from Chicago a year ago so take the above for what it's worth. In the end though, Chicago's nightlife has some catching up to do.

Something you might consider though is checking out one of Chicago's many great blues/jazz places.

Last edited by StudentExplorer; May 10, 04 at 3:53 pm
Old May 10, 04, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StudentExplorer
Well, I don't really specialize in the kind of bars you would probably go to . . . but off the top of my head, you might consider Le Passage (http://entertainment.metromix.chicagotribune.com/top/1,1419,M-Metromix-Home-!PlaceDetail-21169,00.html).

Crobar is also huge in Chicago (http://entertainment.metromix.chicagotribune.com/top/1,1419,M-Metromix-Home-!PlaceDetail-3592,00.html). When I moved away, there was another huge mega club getting ready to open down by the river. . name alludes me right now. Aside from Crobar, though, my feeling is that most of the big clubs are on the cheesy side. For something more upscale, you'll have better luck I think with the hotels or smaller loungey places. The W on Lakeshore, btw, is especially nice.

I moved away from Chicago a year ago so take the above for what it's worth. In the end though, Chicago's nightlife has some catching up to do.

Something you might consider though is checking out one of Chicago's many great blues/jazz places.
StudentExplorer, thanks very much...
Old May 11, 04, 12:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Vision Nightclub

Vision's genre will vary from weekend to weekend so check ahead to see what interests you, oh there is plenty of eye candy too . A plus is that Vision is on Dearborn, north of Ontario, so it's within walking distance from the major hotels. It really doesn't get hopping until midnight to 1am, and they are open until 4am or 5am on Saturday night. Cover is $10 to $20.

http://www.aceplaces.com/vision/index.html

Crobar is another excellent choice.
Old May 11, 04, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks, ORDGuy...
Old May 12, 04, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
Japonais is a newish (less than 1 year, I think), very hip place near the old Ward's building they are making into condos. There's a bar and lounge downstairs with a river walk, restaurant upstairs. Lots of people dressed in black, very good unique drinks, and where the pretty people go (or just people with extra money). Food is amazing, by the way, but even just drinks and deserts are good.
Old May 17, 04, 1:05 pm

Smile

I've always been fond of the local Lincoln Park/Lakeview neighborhood establishments, but for tourists or people wanting to go downtown looking for a funky vibe, I always suggest Harry's Velvet Room. Martinis, decadent nibbles and desserts, plush decor...just a very nice atmosphere imo.

Keep in mind that I've never been a big clubber---just a drinker so I tend to stick to bars without a dancing scene.
Old May 17, 04, 8:28 pm
glg

Originally Posted by SpicyBC
I've always been fond of the local Lincoln Park/Lakeview neighborhood establishments, but for tourists or people wanting to go downtown looking for a funky vibe, I always suggest Harry's Velvet Room. Martinis, decadent nibbles and desserts, plush decor...just a very nice atmosphere imo.

Keep in mind that I've never been a big clubber---just a drinker so I tend to stick to bars without a dancing scene.
I like Harry's, but have been annoyed that on more than one occasion, we've been asked to move for a "private party" (in the room that's sorta to the right around under the stairs when you come it), then seen there be like 4 people in there. Fine, kick me out if the room is going to be full, but to make people move for a group of 4? BS.
Old May 25, 04, 3:13 am
Original Poster

What about Jazz Clubs.... any good ones open till late...?
Old May 25, 04, 5:14 pm

http://chicago.citysearch.com/sectio...ife/?brand=msn

Do you dance latin music (salsa, merengue,etc.)?

Then:

http://centerstage.net/dance/clubs/club-720.html
Old May 26, 04, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Gracias Viajera...
Old May 27, 04, 3:55 pm

Of the many you see listed, the Green Mill is a classic.
Old May 28, 04, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StudentExplorer
Of the many you see listed, the Green Mill is a classic.
Thanks !!!!
Old Jun 8, 04, 5:20 pm

Soundbar (House mostly)
Y (Bar next door to Soundbar, same owner, cover can be steep for what it's worth, but nice place)
Vision (Knowng for its trance techno on Fri or Sat, have had some of the best DJs, but they have other nites as well, check their site for event lists)
Crobar (Known for the techno/trance crowd)
Zantra (Hip Hop, House, etc, more int'l. crowd)
Funky Buddha (Hip Hop, some top 40)
Whitestar (mostly hip hop I think, never been there myself)

Search this Thread