Search

Medicore service at The Peninsula

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2004, 3:26 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Medicore service at The Peninsula

Apparently I'm not the only one who has received bad service at the dining venues at The Peninsula, Chicago.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,7113538.story

I myself have had two poor experiences for afternoon tea at The Lobby and one at Shanghai Terrace. The food was great at both outlets though. I would be interested in hearing comments from others.

For those who are not registered with the Trib's website (registration is free), here are the first few paragraphs of the article:

Chocolate at the Pen overcomes bad start
By Regina Robinson
Tribune staff reporter

February 13, 2004

You would think it would be hard to mess up chocolate. Bad service will do it.

For the last three months, Chocolate at the Pen has been a regular feature of Jazz at the Pen in the Lobby restaurant of the Peninsula Chicago hotel. It's a lavish chocolate buffet, costing $19.50 per person and featuring 20 or more items but always including chocolate pot de creme, tapioca, creme brulee, opera cake and hot chocolate.

The setting is impressive, with 20-foot floor-to-ceiling windows looking out onto Michigan Avenue and intimidating chandeliers hanging from the colossal ceilings. It definitely sends the message: class.

With class should come service, but that's where our experience went awry. When my friend D'jon and I arrived on a recent Friday (Chocolate at the Pen is served Fridays and Saturdays), the doorman was very friendly. Our evening then took a bittersweet turn.

From concierge to coat check to hostess, we were snubbed big time. We stood at the hostess stand while the hostess seated others standing behind us. Finally, an annoyed waiter whisked by and told us to just sit anywhere. Once we chose our table, we were on our own. No menu or even a napkin was offered. We finally got water after our third request.

So why go to Chocolate at the Pen? Because the chocolate is good and so is the music.

Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:39 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Had fine service the night of our Peking duck dinner (did a review of our meal, search for Peking to find it).

Hope this is not the case for an upcoming FT dinner at Avenues in late March.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:33 am

Programs: United
I had tremendous service at Avenues a couple of weeks ago. It rivaled the service at other top restaurants in town (i.e., Charlie Trotters, Arun's, etc.)

P.S.: I am hoping to go to the upcoming dinner at Avenues--just don't tell my bank account!!
Old Sep 1, 2004, 3:00 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChicagoBound
I had tremendous service at Avenues a couple of weeks ago. It rivaled the service at other top restaurants in town (i.e., Charlie Trotters, Arun's, etc.)

P.S.: I am hoping to go to the upcoming dinner at Avenues--just don't tell my bank account!!
David Hayden, the chef de cuisine at Avenues (Peninsula Chicago, 108 E. Superior St.; 312-573-6754), has resigned. He is currently waiting on a couple of hotels regarding a new offer. Terry Crandall, the hotel’s executive chef, hopes to announce Hayden’s replacement in the next few weeks. “There will be a slightly new direction,” says Susan Ellefson, a Peninsula spokesperson. “But we’re not prepared to say just yet.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.