Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

The "New" Maxwell Street Market - Central American Eats for CHEAP!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2003, 8:19 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

I am a Chicagoan who did not experience the original Maxwell Street Market.

Today I went to the New Maxwell Street Market on Canal Street and Roosevelt Road.
The market is primarily a Hispanic oriented market.

There are plenty of food stalls w/lots of food to try. Most items go for $1-$2.

I was in heaven trying the various items while sipping a Horchata. Horchata is Mexican rice water or rice milk made from rice, water, cinnamon and some sugar. While I believe it is considered a dessert, I enjoyed the sweet cool liquid w/my salsa-hot items I ate.

Tamal Oaxaca serves some terrific tamales, only 75 cents for a small one. Make sure to pour over the green salsa that comes in a squirt bottle. The salsa is not hot at all and lends a full pepper taste to the tamale. Great start.

At Sabrosos Tacos, they serve an item called chorizo w/red sauce. A flat bread/tortilla thing is heated w/chorizo (Mex sausage), cheese, and a rich full red sauce. TASTY.

I lost my notes after this, but remember eating more varieties of tacos (including a potato) and tacitos (small fried stuffed tacos).

One very yummy item was a quesadilla made with the fungus that grows on corn. Very earthy, kind of a mixture between a mushroom and truffle. Very good as well.

The market itself is ok, mostly tools, tube socks, Latin music, but the food is definitely worth a visit.

The New Maxwell St Market is every Sunday at the corner of Roosevelt and Canal in Chicago.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Horchatas are awesome but it seems like every place makes them a little bit different. Quite fattening but good nonetheless.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 11:52 am

Haven't been to "La Garra" (what Mexicans call their flea markets I guess) in like 5 years.Last time I went had some tacos under a tarp, awesome stuff. Have to go back out there again one of these Sundays. I need some tubesocks anyway. :-)

[This message has been edited by Skyliner (edited 06-06-2003).]
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:17 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
United's Hemispheres magazine recently had an article on the Maxwell Street Market.

Maxwell St (is) one of the most vibrant Mexican street markets in the US - with stall after stall of enticing street snacks. For me, a great Sunday morning begins with El Guero's steaming caldo de birria, red-chile beef broth with fresh cilantro. Think "marketplace" rather than "market" (I've seen queen size beds next to Mexican wrestlers' masks). Grocery stalls play to the Mexican cook. The Villa family sells Mexico City-style huaranches (huge oval corn masa cakes filled with black beans, slathered with salsa, and sprinkled with various toppings); tear them into pieces as you would pizza. There's something for everyone. My daughter loves rummaging through the "designer" sunglasses. My friend Carlos swears by the Russian guy who sells Cossack-style fur hats. Me, I can't take my eyes off of the hand-hammered copper cazos (cooking pots) from Michoacan Mexico.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:32 pm

As you mentioned, it's open Sunday morning, so it makes a good thing to do when a lot of other things are closed.

Most of the merchandise is pretty cheap stuff, although I found a few useful trinkets, but the food is really interesting aand inexpensive.

The people watching is really good, too!
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I am a Chicagoan who did not experience the original Maxwell Street Market.
Ahhh! Now that brings back some memories! My 1st pair of roller skates, and my 1st suit as a kid. I can smell the corner sausage and pork chop stands as I type this.

Later in life, we used to drive down during the week to Little Mexico on Maxwell St for the great Enchiladas Suizas. (usually around 2AM )
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I knew a number of contractors who would go to the old Maxwell St. on Sundays to buy back their tools and equipment which had been stolen during the week. Also, when your hubcaps got stolen, you could always find perfect matches there

Sometimes only one or two hubcaps were stolen, and, lo and behold, they'd just happen to have only one or two where were exactly right.

I also recall tables with stacks of car stereos, with loose connector wires hanging out of the backs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.