Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Parking at/near ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jonu
Great idea. I never thought of this as a backup for covered parking...
On a same day MR, I have parked my car at the Rosemont CTA station. Back in July, it was $3 for 18 hours of parking. Not sure if that has changed.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by indo79
On a same day MR, I have parked my car at the Rosemont CTA station. Back in July, it was $3 for 18 hours of parking. Not sure if that has changed.
Plus $4 for r/t "L" fare, though that's still cheaper than O'Hare. (If you have a monthly CTA pass of course that wouldn't be a factor.)
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Except at the holidays, Avistar generally won't turn you away for outdoor parking if you're a member of their club program. It supposedly costs $15/year with the first year free, but I don't think I've been billed it ever. You put your credit card on file and they process your card while you're on the bus back, so you don't have to go inside and stand in line to pay. This was a big issue I had with Thrifty - three straight times where they couldn't find my car for a good 20 minutes after I arrived back at the lot.

Other than the condition of their shock absorbers on their vans, I've been happy with Avistar.
I was happy with Avistar for several years, until I had a 6 a.m. flight on Thanksgiving morning. I arrived at 4:15 a.m. to find a line snaking almost all the way out to Mannheim. I, along with most of the other people in line, walked up to the attendant with a printed copy of our reservation in hand. We were told they were completely full, so forget about it. I doubt being a member of their club program would have helped.

I found space at the O'Hare economy lot G, and by the time I took the bus to the tram to the terminal, I barely made my flight.

Afterwards, I wrote Avistar a letter asking why they claim "Guaranteed Airport Parking" when in reality they don't. I also asked for a refund of the difference between what I would have paid at Avistar versus what I actually paid at O'Hare. I never heard from them.

Since then, several hundred of my dollars have gone to Thrifty instead. I've never had the problem you mentioned at Thrifty, though I admit that would be irritating.

Should I have dropped Avistar after one bad experience? Maybe not, but since Thrifty treated me well, I saw no reason to go back. Now that I no longer live in the area, it's not an issue anymore.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:31 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
For a day trip, you could also consider the covered parking at the Cumberland CTA lot (or the uncovered parking at River Road) and taking the train into the station. It comes out cheaper than Avistar or Thirfty for a day, and at peak periods might not take any longer. Of course, the question is how full the lots get with daily commuters.
I have parked there(Rvr Rd) once or twice on day trips over wkends, but being from out of town, do you have to have some sort of sticker to park in those lots?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by rustyr
I have parked there(Rvr Rd) once or twice on day trips over wkends, but being from out of town, do you have to have some sort of sticker to park in those lots?
No sticker required, you just have to note your space number and feed the parking machine on your way into the station.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 3:53 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
ORD Remote Parking Bagage Check-in

Has anybody ever used the baggage check-in over at E-Lot by the people mover?

Is it $5 bag, or $5 total? Have you been able to check baggage with less than 2 hours before departure?

(I hate dragging skis on the tram, and since I'm traveling alone, I can't drop them off curbside)
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Not an answer to your question exactly, but, I've walked by those guys quite a few times and I can honestly say I've never seen anyone checking bags with them...
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:05 am

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
That desk also seems to be inconsistently staffed. Some days 3-4 people standing around, some days no one there, some days closed. I wouldn't want to include it as a mission critical component to my travel.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They won't last long. Every time I've been through the staff has been covered with cobwebs.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:23 pm

[QUOTE=ChgoBob;7294000]

Is it $5 bag, or $5 total? QUOTE]

It's Chicago. Always assume the more expensive alternative.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
I would also guess that it is $5 per bag. For me personally, it is not an inconvenience to take my bag to the terminal from Economy Parking. I'm cheap, I would gladly take on the inconvenience for $5 per bag. Now, if I had a large family with multiple bags, screaming babies, strollers, etc - then it would work.
Valet and bag service for $5 per bag? Then we may have a deal!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by ChgoBob
Has anybody ever used the baggage check-in over at E-Lot by the people mover?

Is it $5 bag, or $5 total? Have you been able to check baggage with less than 2 hours before departure?

(I hate dragging skis on the tram, and since I'm traveling alone, I can't drop them off curbside)
It is five dollars a bag. I find the baggage check-in is often not staffed. I would not count on it as an option
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ChgoBob
Do they have to go inside to be checked, or can a skycap take them like golf bags? I check my golf bag curbside all the time when I'm by myself. I tip well when I do it - usually a $10 for the golf bag and my suitcase, and I motion to the skycap with the $10 in my hand.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK, you need to go inside, but it is right inside the door that is closed to the "Kiss and Fly" end of the station. I would park a minute in the free lot, drag them in, and then go to park.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:50 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Do they have to go inside to be checked, or can a skycap take them like golf bags? I check my golf bag curbside all the time when I'm by myself. I tip well when I do it - usually a $10 for the golf bag and my suitcase, and I motion to the skycap with the $10 in my hand.
I may try again, someday. Twice, when I tried to drop off my luggage and skis at curbside, and get back into the car to go park at E-lot, the skycaps balked, and said I can't check baggage, and drive away. Granted, this was several years ago, and they may have relaxed slightly by now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.