Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Parking at/near ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:41 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by jonu
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Just arrived at ORD to find the main lot full. Turned around and getting lunch at Chipotle on Mannheim, hoping that it will open up soon.

If it doesn't, what is the most convenient parking here? Key is convenience. Cost doesn't matter. (Valet was closed, too.)

This probably doesn't help you at this point, but if cost truly isn't an issue, the most convenient thing to do is to simply park your car in front of the terminal you are departing from. A friendly tow-truck operator will whisk your car away to the impound lot. Retrieving your car will be inconvenient and expensive, but if you're running late for a flight, nothing's easier!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Not always the most convienent, but I prefer the private lots to the ORD lots.
http://www.longtermparking.com/
Your car is fenced in and safer than in the public lots.

As to leaving it to be towed, I think the FBI and TSA step in and blow up abandoned cars, since they are concerned about car bombing. Also, the Chicago Police bomb squad appreciates the practice.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Not always the most convienent, but I prefer the private lots to the ORD lots.
http://www.longtermparking.com/
Your car is fenced in and safer than in the public lots.

As to leaving it to be towed, I think the FBI and TSA step in and blow up abandoned cars, since they are concerned about car bombing. Also, the Chicago Police bomb squad appreciates the practice.

Are you serious? If that was the case, O'Hare would sound like a war zone, since those tow trucks seem to haul off a car every 10 or 15 minutes. The last I was there, they still had an impound lot. Well whatever, it was just a joke anyway.

As for the private lots, these can be a mixed bag. I don't really see them as being safer, since the O'Hare lots are patrolled 24/7. (Try pulling out a camera and you'll see how close the security patrol is.)

I've had some luck at the Thrifty parking area on Mannheim, but you need an advanced reservation usually. Which isn't a bad thing, since they seem to honor their reservations, unlike Avistar, where a reservation is meaningless. They just take incoming cars until they're full, then they'll turn you away even if you had a reservation. Parker, beware.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
it was just a joke anyway.

As for the private lots, these can be a mixed bag. I don't really see them as being safer, since the O'Hare lots are patrolled 24/7.
Yes, a joke.

As to the lots being safer, I use park-n-jet, the vehicle is in a controlled access fenced in lot, much harder to break into it, steal things, whatever than at the public lots. Simply that fewer people have access to your car.

BTW, this reminds me of an incident I once came across at the grant park underground. A cop was making his normal rounds, turned the corner and saw a guy dressed in raggedy street clothes pulling suitcases out of the trunk of a luxury car. He checked the guy's ID, which didn't match the vehicle, and busted him on the spot. They then sat around a few hours waiting for the car owner to show up so they could complete the paperwork on the bust.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, LH Cattle Class, SPG
With the rates they charge for the main parking, you think they could afford to expand the garage by now. Its not like they don't have the room. Look at all the one level open parking behind the main garage.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Depending on the length of the trip, I either park in the main garage (or lot if routed that way, although it hasn't happened to me often) or one of the lots on Bessie Coleman Dr. I've also parked a few times in the remote lot on Mannheim. Just remember with the remote lots to add a little time into the equation for the extra transit. I haven't used any of the "privately" owned remote lots, but I know several of the regular posters to this forum (in addition to those who have already posted here on the subject) do use them...I'm sure they'll show up & offer their experiences.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:18 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cawhite
Just remember with the remote lots to add a little time into the equation for the extra transit.
I parked in the economy lot on the other side of Mannheim (the cheapest one). It took a long time to get to the terminal b/c you have to wait for the bus that takes you to the closer remote lot and then take the tram. If pressed for time, make sure you park in the remote lot that connects directly to the tram. (BTW, I saw that you can check your bags with a skycap at the tram station if you don't want to carry your bags all the way to the terminal.)
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:11 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
(BTW, I saw that you can check your bags with a skycap at the tram station if you don't want to carry your bags all the way to the terminal.)

<deleted>

Never mind, I looked it up. Thanks for bringing my attention to it. The 2 hour time limit for checking bags is understandable, but pretty long, and really defeats "go right to your gate".

Here's the link for anyone else.

http://www.flychicago.com/news/RemoteParkingOHare.shtm

Last edited by ChgoBob; Dec 15, 2006 at 10:36 am Reason: edit
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:52 am

I ended up trying the international lot, but it was full, too. However, at that moment, they reopened the main lot, so I went back! I was glad this happened because I also recently purchased a new car and didnt't want it to be parked outside (uncovered).

So, with the main lot full, seems like several options (that I have either used or considered) are:
1. International lot: close, convenient, expensive, outside.
2. Lot E: connected via train but farther, cheaper, outside.
3. Thrifty: cheap, but but no need to go to the Bus Shuttle Center, outside.
4. Avistar: cheap, indoor option, need to go to Bus Shuttle Center.

I did consider leaving the car curbside (Mayor Daley's valet service ), but the inconvenience on the return (plus the questionable ability to expense the fine & fees) made it more a passing thought...
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
unlike Avistar, where a reservation is meaningless. They just take incoming cars until they're full, then they'll turn you away even if you had a reservation. Parker, beware.
Except at the holidays, Avistar generally won't turn you away for outdoor parking if you're a member of their club program. It supposedly costs $15/year with the first year free, but I don't think I've been billed it ever. You put your credit card on file and they process your card while you're on the bus back, so you don't have to go inside and stand in line to pay. This was a big issue I had with Thrifty - three straight times where they couldn't find my car for a good 20 minutes after I arrived back at the lot.

Other than the condition of their shock absorbers on their vans, I've been happy with Avistar.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
So, with the main lot full, seems like several options (that I have either used or considered) are:
For a day trip, you could also consider the covered parking at the Cumberland CTA lot (or the uncovered parking at River Road) and taking the train into the station. It comes out cheaper than Avistar or Thirfty for a day, and at peak periods might not take any longer. Of course, the question is how full the lots get with daily commuters.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I ended up trying the international lot, but it was full, too. However, at that moment, they reopened the main lot, so I went back! I was glad this happened because I also recently purchased a new car and didnt't want it to be parked outside (uncovered).

1. International lot: close, convenient, expensive, outside.
2. Lot E: connected via train but farther, cheaper, outside.
3. Thrifty: cheap, but but no need to go to the Bus Shuttle Center, outside.
4. Avistar: cheap, indoor option, need to go to Bus Shuttle Center.

I did consider leaving the car curbside (Mayor Daley's valet service ), but the inconvenience on the return (plus the questionable ability to expense the fine & fees) made it more a passing thought...
In addition to Lot E (the one with the ATS station), there are also Lots F & G which run busses to Lot E to catch the ATS. The farther remote lot on Mannheim (G?) also has a Metra stop which runs into the city, albeit with very limited service...but if the timing's right it is something to keep in mind. I usually allow an extra 15-20 minutes if parking in E, and as mentioned above, the other two remote lots can easily take an extra 10-15 minutes depending on how frequently the busses are running.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
You are based in Chicago. Park at Jefferson Park, Cumberland or River road and take the L.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
For a day trip, you could also consider the covered parking at the Cumberland CTA lot (or the uncovered parking at River Road) and taking the train into the station. It comes out cheaper than Avistar or Thirfty for a day, and at peak periods might not take any longer. Of course, the question is how full the lots get with daily commuters.
Great idea. I never thought of this as a backup for covered parking...
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:14 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
A more practical desperation play would be to park at an airport hotel and simply take the shuttle in.

Some hotels actually encourage longterm parkers so long as they have an overnight stay but that wouldn't apply if you arrived to find no airport parking at all. I suppose a generous tip to the hotel shuttle driver or desk clerk might make things easier if you really were a 'squatter' parker. YMMV

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.