Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:53 pm

I would use the Terminal Transfer Bus (airside) if at all possible, avoid clearing security again at T5 and waiting outside T1 in January weather. It's a long walk to T3 but you can take it slow if you want or stop for a break, it's all indoors and on one level.

Make sure you check the operating times and your flight times -- it would be frustrating to walk to T3 only to find it's not operating at that time.

Also, I've never done it in a wheelchair so there may be other considerations. Both buses are wheelchair accessible.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:16 am

A little update since it was mentioned in another thread.

The goal is to have the 2nd smaller two lane checkpoint at the east end of the ticket counter hall opened by May.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by ords
A little update since it was mentioned in another thread.

The goal is to have the 2nd smaller two lane checkpoint at the east end of the ticket counter hall opened by May.
Would this be used in part for priority security and PreCheck?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Is it possible to get from T3 to Intl Terminal T5 and bypass Security in T5?

With the Airport Transit System down till Fall of 2019, I was wondering how to get to and from the United Concourses to Terminal 5. I found something with regards to getting from T3 to T5 that there's Terminal Transfer Bus that will take you from T3 to T5 and bypassing T5 Security. Is this true, and if so, where exactly do I find this Terminal Transfer Bus, and how is it that I'd be bypassing T5 security.

Also, any information regarding taking the busses between the United concourses and T5, to and from, would be appreciated. Any tips, advice, how long can this take, any information appreciated.

Thank you for all help and information.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by swdke
With the Airport Transit System down till Fall of 2019, I was wondering how to get to and from the United Concourses to Terminal 5. I found something with regards to getting from T3 to T5 that there's Terminal Transfer Bus that will take you from T3 to T5 and bypassing T5 Security. Is this true, and if so, where exactly do I find this Terminal Transfer Bus, and how is it that I'd be bypassing T5 security.

Also, any information regarding taking the busses between the United concourses and T5, to and from, would be appreciated. Any tips, advice, how long can this take, any information appreciated.

The air side bus runs from the outer end of the G and K gates to T5 and bypasses security. There is a thread about it with links to the ORD web site for operating hours. There is no equivalent way back and the threads on the land side bus suggest that it could be anywhere from ten to ninety minutes going that way.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by swdke

There is an airside bus from T3->T5 (but not the other direction) during daytime hours. If you are already airside and going to T5 and the bus is running, and you can walk 15 minutes, this is the best option. You can walk from the United concourses (T1/T2) to T3 completely inside security.

Flyertalk thread: ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax
Info on O'Hare website: https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/Ser...Pages/ATS.aspx scroll down to "Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB)"

There is a 24/7 landside bus that replaces the train (ATS). Use this if you aren't already past security, are trying to go T5->T3, or it's after the TTB hours, or the walk from T1 to T3 would be burdensome. There is a bus that just serves the terminals, and another than goes to economy parking, etc.:

Flyertalk thread in Midwest forum: Total shutdown of ATS at ORD May 30
Flyertalk thread in United forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-2019-a-4.html
Info on O'Hare website: https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/Ser...Pages/ATS.aspx in red font

This bus seems to be fine most days and then just has a total meltdown with 300+ person lines on the occasional day. On meltdown days, consider taking a taxi if you are running out of time.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:25 pm
glg

Originally Posted by threeoh
On meltdown days, consider taking a taxi if you are running out of time.
Note that the taxi drivers *hate* this (too short a trip after waiting in line) and you'll probably lose some time as they stop at the taxi minder to get a slip to cut the line when they get back. Though that's from doing it in the pre-uberlyft days, not sure if the line is still as bad as it used to be back then.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by glg
Note that the taxi drivers *hate* this (too short a trip after waiting in line) and you'll probably lose some time as they stop at the taxi minder to get a slip to cut the line when they get back. Though that's from doing it in the pre-uberlyft days, not sure if the line is still as bad as it used to be back then.
Also note that they are legally obligated to take you to any destination in the city including the other terminals. There is a flag pull fare that compensates them for short trips. Upthread someone said the taxi assistant at the curb laid down the law. In other contexts I've had pretty good luck calling 3-1-1 from the back seat and filing a complaint with BACP. They usually start driving before my call is connected. Offering a big tip upfront is another approach.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by glg
We took a cab from T5 to the Hilton back in October and the driver was not a happy camper. He said he had been in line for three hours and did stop for a chit. I tipped him quite well and apologized for taking the cab because I had a broken arm. The trip took 40 minutes!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:01 pm
glg

Also note that they are legally obligated to take you to any destination in the city including the other terminals. There is a flag pull fare that compensates them for short trips. Upthread someone said the taxi assistant at the curb laid down the law. In other contexts I've had pretty good luck calling 3-1-1 from the back seat and filing a complaint with BACP. They usually start driving before my call is connected. Offering a big tip upfront is another approach.
Not saying you'll get refused, they can't. I'm saying the driver will not be happy. The flag pull does *not* compensate for a short trip at ORD, it compensates for a short trip in the city. When a driver has sat in the pen for 3 hours (per MADPhil) hoping for a $50 fare into the loop or river north, getting under 10 bucks to take someone to T5 to T1/2/3 isn't good for the driver. Like I said, you'll likely wait for the driver to get a slip from the taxi minder (confirmed by MADPhil) so they can cut the line when they get back.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by glg
Not saying you'll get refused, they can't. I'm saying the driver will not be happy. The flag pull does *not* compensate for a short trip at ORD, it compensates for a short trip in the city.
This pricing is highly regulated, and that's the price the regulators think compensates for a short trip. The pricing regulation is meant to balance the needs of the driver and the consumer. As a consumer I'm not out to second-guess the driver's side of the equation. But you are welcome to give a big tip if you feel the regulation is too consumer-friendly!

When a driver has sat in the pen for 3 hours (per MADPhil) hoping for a $50 fare into the loop or river north, getting under 10 bucks to take someone to T5 to T1/2/3 isn't good for the driver.
The driver didn't have to sit in a 3-hour line, that's not an obligation imposed by regulation. They did that because they thought the expected payoff would be worth it. That means sometimes they'll get a $75 fare to the south suburbs and sometimes they'll get a $10 fare to T1. They can't just cherry-pick the most lucrative rides, that's explicitly what the regulation is supposed to prohibit. Taking any passenger that hails you to any location in the city for the posted price is an obligation imposed by regulation. Drivers are free to wait in line or not wait in line for the passenger mix they expect.

Like I said, you'll likely wait for the driver to get a slip from the taxi minder (confirmed by MADPhil) so they can cut the line when they get back.
So, sounds like there's a system in place to keep the drivers from being screwed. I can sleep at night again.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:32 pm

Transportation from/to ORD

I will be flying AA from PHX-ORD T3 in July. I need to get from the airport to the Illinois Beach Resort in Zion. I arrive at 10:50 am. Can you suggest the best option? I don’t want to rent a car. On the day I return, my flight is at 7:25 am, so I need transportation from the hotel to the airport about 5 am, I think. Is that enough time? I read somewhere else about a flat rate service called American Taxi, but they don’t have the greatest reviews. I guess my biggest worry is not getting picked up in time for the return flight. Any suggestions/help appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:55 pm

Any reason not to take an uber? Looks like it's about $60 each way. Traditional city taxi would be $100 or so, if they were willing to take you.

I've taken All American before to the north suburbs (in the pre-uber days). It's fine, you just call them when you are ready and they tell you the taxi number, and you wait on the second curb.

On the way back, I'm sure the hotel can arrange a taxi service to the airport for you. You could even call them now and see what they recommend for getting from O'Hare to their property. I'm sure they deal with this all the time.

The least expensive option would be to take the Blue Line into the loop (or Pace bus to Evanston) and take Metra to the Zion stop, about 3 miles from the hotel. You could uber the last 3 miles or maybe the hotel could come get you. Would not really work for the early morning start on your return. Probably about $15 total and 2h30m plus or minus half an hour, plus a lot of on and off different forms of transit.
Steph G. likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:04 pm

Any reason not to take an uber? Looks like it's about $60 each way. Traditional city taxi would be $100 or so, if they were willing to take you.

I've taken All American before to the north suburbs (in the pre-uber days). It's fine, you just call them when you are ready and they tell you the taxi number, and you wait on the second curb.

On the way back, I'm sure the hotel can arrange a taxi service to the airport for you. You could even call them now and see what they recommend for getting from O'Hare to their property. I'm sure they deal with this all the time.
No reason not to use Uber, I just didn’t know if that is the best option. I will check with the hotel, also. Thank you!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Steph G.
I will be flying AA from PHX-ORD T3 in July. I need to get from the airport to the Illinois Beach Resort in Zion. I arrive at 10:50 am. Can you suggest the best option? I don’t want to rent a car. On the day I return, my flight is at 7:25 am, so I need transportation from the hotel to the airport about 5 am, I think. Is that enough time? I read somewhere else about a flat rate service called American Taxi, but they don’t have the greatest reviews. I guess my biggest worry is not getting picked up in time for the return flight. Any suggestions/help appreciated. Thanks!
Personally I prefer American Taxi to all others going to and from ORD. I live in the NW suburbs about 15 - 20 minutes from ORD (depending on weather, traffic, etc). I have found American to be cheaper, cleaner and more on time than any other alternative. It could be that the cost is simply due to my location in relationship to the airport and getting to/from Zion would be different. But you are taking a taxi and not a private car or a limousine. Most often a Toyota Prius or a minivan.
Steph G. likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.