Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:01 pm

What's the most efficient route from a T5 arrival to the CTA station?

ATS to Terminal 2? Once there, is it faster to follow the signed route (up the escalator, into the terminal, down two levels, and then back out via the pedestrian walkway to the station)? Or faster to take the ATS elevator to the "Hilton" level, walk outdoors at ground level to the hotel and take the escalator down to the hotel basement and out to the CTA station that way?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:24 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by threeoh

ATS to Terminal 2? Once there, is it faster to follow the signed route (up the escalator, into the terminal, down two levels, and then back out via the pedestrian walkway to the station)? Or faster to take the ATS elevator to the "Hilton" level, walk outdoors at ground level to the hotel and take the escalator down to the hotel basement and out to the CTA station that way?
I usually do the former. Never even considered the latter.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I would guess the latter, but I've never tried.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:48 am

Take the ATS to Terminal 3. Go up the escalator (the only exit from the station). Once you get to the top of the escalator, turn LEFT into the parking garage. Once you go through the garage door, straight ahead and to your right will be a little building that says "ELEVATORS" in big letters. Go into there and take an elevator down to level "T" (the bottom level).

When you exit the elevator, there is only one way out. Follow the signs that say "CTA/Trains to City." Do NOT go through any glass doors. The signs will direct you to turn right into a corridor and go past the "Badging Office." Go down to the end of the corridor, until you get to the green post at the end. Turn right onto the moving walkway.

You don't have to memorize this route, there are signs starting at the top of the escalator when you exit the ATS station at the Terminal 3 stop. Contrary to popular belief, the CTA station is not in or under Terminal 2. Getting there from T1 or T3 is easier than T2.
aktchi likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:06 am
glg

Originally Posted by planko
Contrary to popular belief, the CTA station is not in or under Terminal 2. Getting there from T1 or T3 is easier than T2.
Agreed 100%. The station is under the parking garage, not T2. While it's closest to T2, the fact that the T2 ATS station doesn't connect to the parking garage like T3 does makes T3 the easier option.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by glg
Agreed 100%. The station is under the parking garage, not T2. While it's closest to T2, the fact that the T2 ATS station doesn't connect to the parking garage like T3 does makes T3 the easier option.
Yes, but with my route (T2->ground floor->outdoors->Hilton->downstairs) you avoid going up and then down again, and you don't have to go towards the terminal (away from the blue line station) -- you only go down and towards the station.

Of course, you do have to stay on ATS for one more stop so that's probably some time penalty...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:40 am
glg

Yes, but with my route (T2->ground floor->outdoors->Hilton->downstairs) you avoid going up and then down again, and you don't have to go towards the terminal (away from the blue line station) -- you only go down and towards the station.
You're missing a piece. Yes, you go up a short bit from the tracks to the bridge level, but you do not go towards the terminal, you go into the garage, which is towards the station. If you want to be super efficient, instead of going to the right to the closest elevator bank (which is going slightly away from the station), go left to the next elevator bank and you're going toward the station. It's also a simpler route for someone not familiar with the airport. Only the piece about going to the garage elevator is unsigned. Once you get out of the elevator in the basement under the garage, everything is well signed. Going through the hotel isn't a route I'd recommend for someone new to the airport.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by glg
You're missing a piece. Yes, you go up a short bit from the tracks to the bridge level, but you do not go towards the terminal, you go into the garage, which is towards the station. If you want to be super efficient, instead of going to the right to the closest elevator bank (which is going slightly away from the station), go left to the next elevator bank and you're going toward the station. It's also a simpler route for someone not familiar with the airport. Only the piece about going to the garage elevator is unsigned. Once you get out of the elevator in the basement under the garage, everything is well signed. Going through the hotel isn't a route I'd recommend for someone new to the airport.
Whoops, I could have been more clear. The signed T2 route involves going into the terminal, the T3 route through the garage doesn't but does involve the up-then-down.

I obviously wouldn't recommend any unsigned route to a newbie -- I'm trying to my optimize my own route for ORD int'l arrivals.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:59 am

ORD Terminal 5 Food Situation

I have a Wow flight, with a relatively short stop in Iceland on my way to Dublin, that departs from T5. So, no free food, only expensive and from what I have read poor quality buy on board options.

I have flown long haul out of T5 twice before, in 2010 there was essentially no food past security, and in 2013 there were some options but I seem to remember a lot of renovations.

What is the food situation today? Can I get a nice full meal in T5 before my flight?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116
I have a Wow flight, with a relatively short stop in Iceland on my way to Dublin, that departs from T5. So, no free food, only expensive and from what I have read poor quality buy on board options.

I have flown long haul out of T5 twice before, in 2010 there was essentially no food past security, and in 2013 there were some options but I seem to remember a lot of renovations.

What is the food situation today? Can I get a nice full meal in T5 before my flight?
Yes, you'll be nicely surprised at the food options now. Although I would shy away from TOCO, the Italian place.

Personally, I eat at either Hub 51 or Frontera when working there.

Several months old but still relevant.

https://chicago.eater.com/2015/11/19...estaurants-ord
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by ords
Yes, you'll be nicely surprised at the food options now. Although I would shy away from TOCO, the Italian place.

Personally, I eat at either Hub 51 or Frontera when working there.

Several months old but still relevant.

https://chicago.eater.com/2015/11/19...estaurants-ord
Thanks! I am happy to see they upped their game. I was pretty shocked, years ago when I was waiting for a 10 hour flight to Istanbul and there were only convenient stores after security for a terminal that almost exclusively services long haul flights.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I departed T5 last July. It was my first T5 departure in about 2 years. I have to agree with @ords, the make over is amazing.

Not only are there decent food options but the overall experience in the terminal is very pleasant.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:35 am

As of Nov 1, there are another group of airlines who have opted in to allow Precheck for passengers. What do we think is the likelihood of Precheck being added to T5 (and also actually being open when we want to use it?)

Aeromexico
Avianca
Cathay Pacific
Copa
Emirates
Etihad
Finnair
Korean Air
Turkish Airlines
Virgin Atlantic (if they come back)

Maybe 10 of ~27 international carriers in t5 is enough to sway some decisions!

TSA Precheck Participants
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:19 am

There will be precheck at T5 within the next 2 years. With F9 moving over in 2018 and DL by 2020 there's no other choice.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ords
There will be precheck at T5 within the next 2 years. With F9 moving over in 2018 and DL by 2020 there's no other choice.
Thanks for sharing. Do you know if completing the planned expansion of T5 is the necessary step for DL to move to that terminal? Any updates on when the design will be finalized and, hopefully, construction will start?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.