Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYDCA
Any tips?
Some moron at UA or ORD decided to block off the exit from the secure area of T1 to the ticketing/check-in area. Now, to exit T1, it has to be done via the lower level/baggage claim area.

Therefore, you'll need to go to the baggage claim and then take the escalators up to the ticketing area. From there, there's a bridge that goes over traffic and leads you to the train station.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Moving this to the Chicago forum.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Jan 6, 2008, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Some moron at UA or ORD decided to block off the exit from the secure area of T1 to the ticketing/check-in area.
A complete PITA, if you ask me - but I thought it had to do with the installation of extra CS desks, no??
Best, Dave
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bseller
A complete PITA, if you ask me - but I thought it had to do with the installation of extra CS desks, no??
Best, Dave
UA's customer service desk being a complete PITA, no arguments here.

They added what, maybe 4-5 kiosks?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They added what, maybe 4-5 kiosks?
That sounds right. About 1 person/desk for 2 hours/day EXCEPT when there's a need for them, at which time they all go on break.

Best, Dave
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: UAL 1K, Million Miler
Some moron at UA or ORD decided to block off the exit from the secure area of T1 to the ticketing/check-in area. Now, to exit T1, it has to be done via the lower level/baggage claim area.

Therefore, you'll need to go to the baggage claim and then take the escalators up to the ticketing area
You can still get to the ticketing level via the security screening positioned at the end of T1 that leads to T2. You will join the ticketing lobby near the baggage check counters.

Not as convenient, but still on the upper level.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by m60521
You can still get to the ticketing level via the security screening positioned at the end of T1 that leads to T2. You will join the ticketing lobby near the baggage check counters.

Not as convenient, but still on the upper level.
Exactly. It's at the far end of Security Checkpoint 3 (the Terminal 1 checkpoint closest to Terminal 2). Head toward gate B6 & follow the signs for Terminal 2, it will be on your left before you get to the hallway connecting to Terminal 2. There is a glass partition separating the exit lane from the security checkpoint lanes. If you get to the escalators (also on your left) to baggage claim, you've gone too far.

For the OP: After getting to the ticketing area, about halfway down you'll see escalators up & an elevator to the skybridge which will take you to the ATS (the shuttle which runs between all terminals & remote parking). Due to construction/renovations, currently only one escalator is available and it's usually functioning as stairs. The elevator is working but is slow. The ATS usually runs every 5-10 minutes depending on the time of day, and to Terminal 5 takes about 5 minutes.

Last edited by cawhite; Jan 9, 2008 at 7:53 am
Old Jul 19, 2008, 5:00 am

O'hare transfer Terminal 3 to 1: Walk or ATS

I have an connection at O'Hare that has me coming in on American (T3) and departing out of United (T1). Connection time is 2 hours. Is this a semi-easy airside walk, or is it best to go landside and take the ATS?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Because of the advantage of being able to remain airside, I think that the T3 > T1 walk is the way to go (also, extra walking time is needed to and from the train boarding stations at both T3 and T1, because the track is on the external perimiter of the terminal buildings themselves).
Old Jul 19, 2008, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Because of the advantage of being able to remain airside, I think that the T3 > T1 walk is the way to go (also, extra walking time is needed to and from the train boarding stations at both T3 and T1, because the track is on the external perimiter of the terminal buildings themselves).
Thanks... I was leaning towards the walk. I was thinking the 20-25 minute walk would be good before a long trans-pacific flight anyway...
Old Jul 19, 2008, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No question AT ALL, Non Non-Rev is 100% correct. It is a bad idea to exit security for this reasonably quick - 10 minutes or so - walk.
No going thru the shoe carnival again, all the water you want to carry with you, and no need to go outside in the heat to catch a 2 minute train ride.
Enjoy your trip.
Dave
Old Jul 19, 2008, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by dave_261
I have an connection at O'Hare that has me coming in on American (T3) and departing out of United (T1). Connection time is 2 hours. Is this a semi-easy airside walk, or is it best to go landside and take the ATS?
With two hours, you will not have an issue regardless of the method you choose. However, if you have status that allows you to use priority security lines and/or you are unable or unwilling to walk long distances, I would consider the ATS. It is probably not going to be 10 minutes unless you start at the very west side of T3 and are only going to the very east side of T1 and walk briskly. The entire length of T3 could take 10 minutes if you have to walk from one end to the other. If you were to land at a far "L" gate in T3 and have a Departure from a far "C" gate in T1 it will easily be more than a 30 minute walk. Granted, it is probably going to be something in between, but I would plan on longer than 10 minutes.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 3:17 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
I'd walk. I suspect that it is effectively a wash, time-wise. Just watch the signs along the way so you don't accidentally head out a security exit.

Another consideration on the ATS is that it can be crowded in the afternoon when all the flights from Europe arrive.

I'd just as soon avoid the whole security hassle because that can sometimes be a crapshoot at T1 -- better to be on the airside, especially if your connection window gets smaller. You can always run, but you can't speed up the TSA.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Walk. It's not even that far - though I'm a fast walker. I'd imagine an average-speed walker could get from midway down terminal 3 to the underground T1 B-C passage within 10 minutes.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:47 am

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
ORD - How to transfer quickly from T1 to T5

Never been to ORD.
Arriving from Buffalo at 6:50 a.m. (UA501) at T1 and departing from T5 to Guadalajara at 8:45 a.m. (AM669).
I'd appreciate any info/advise on how to make the transfer T1 >>> T5 as quickly as possible (connect time only 1 h 50 min). Thanks a lot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.