Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 4:41 pm

Everytime I went to Europe from ORD (mostly FRA or DUS) no problem. Boarding is in the same concourses as for domestic flights with no extra barriers or so, if you're not a US citizen the GA will just take the arrival card from your passport.

From the while procedure, doesnt make a difference if you're connecting to, say, IAD, or LHR.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 4:50 pm

Thanks!

Thanks to everybody who responded, and specially to FlyInHawaiian for the link to the "ORD T1 -> T5 transfer" discussion page.

Tickets are now booked!

The flights are on a single ticket (so we should be covered in case of mis-connects). I'm not certain who the issuing authority is, but pretty sure it's LX because we're flying UA 830 as a LX codeshare TA just sprung that news on me saying that it was cheaper to book as codeshare.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks to those who answered my query re domestic transfer times on UA at ORD. Much appreciated.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:18 am

Is 1 hour enough in ORD?

Flying from MCI to LHR on 3/6/2009. Leaving MCI (UA Flight 446) 1:34 PM and arrive ORD 3:05 PM. Leave ORD 4:08 PM (UA Flight 958) and arrive LHR 5:55 AM. Travling with 2 children. Is 1 hour enough in ORD to make the connection.

Landing and deptaring ORD at Terminal 1. How can I find out preliminary arrival and departing gates information?

Also, flight 958 (ORD to LHR) is on 767-300. Are there personal TV/AVOD?

Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:49 am

Assuming your flight to ORD is on time, or close to it, it shouldn't be a problem. The day before you leave, checking flight status should give you preliminary gate info. Good chance they will both be concourse C.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:10 am

This should be no problem. You'll want to step lively, but even from one end of B to the other end of C, you're looking at a 20-minute walk. Those extra 10 minutes would come in handy for getting water and whatever else you'll need to get through the long next leg. Good luck.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
PTV, yes...AVOD, no.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:28 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by argeeleh
Flying from MCI to LHR on 3/6/2009. Leaving MCI (UA Flight 446) 1:34 PM and arrive ORD 3:05 PM. Leave ORD 4:08 PM (UA Flight 958) and arrive LHR 5:55 AM. Travling with 2 children. Is 1 hour enough in ORD to make the connection.

Landing and deptaring ORD at Terminal 1. How can I find out preliminary arrival and departing gates information?

Also, flight 958 (ORD to LHR) is on 767-300. Are there personal TV/AVOD?

Thanks

1 hour is minumium considering potential flight delays and the kids. I transited ORD for 8 years and always gave myself 2 hours for a international connection. You do have two later LHR flights if you miss 958. Yesterday's 446 flight came in to B11 an hour late, today and tommorrow's are scheduled to come into C28. You can look two days out using flight status on the United website, but these are only the planned gates and frequently change without notice.

Personally I'd consider standing by for the earlier flight (10:50A) but that can be harder with 3 (depending on your status).

The walk from B to C isn't bad as long as you don't have to wait for a stoller and your kids don't have to stop for a potty break.

Fortunately, I haven't had to be in coach in a 767 over water so I can't address the IFE.

DEN
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:00 am

Is an hour sufficient time to connect flights

As others have written, yes, under favorable circumstances.
But, interpreting your question otherwise, though it's not the worst place in the world, one hour at ORD at certain times of the day, especially in a crowded RCC, can feel like more than enough--as in 'w-a-a-a-a-y more than enough...
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 2MM
For me, ORD has always been a crap shoot where nothing is "normal'. Just when I begin to build up confidence to transit ORD something major happens. But an hour should be fine in "normal" conditions.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
In normal ops you'll be fine. if your flight from MCI is late UA will rebook you - and there are later flights. The problem is that with 2 kids you might get split up if you need to rebook at the last minute.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:39 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
connection time int'l-domestic at ORD?

I've got a friend who is doing a business trip to Copenhagen this Saturday. He's set up OK going out: he connects from United at IAD out to SAS. It's his coming back that he is worried about. He has a 2 hour layover time at ORD. With customs/immigration and TSA stuff to do, is 2 hours going to be enough for him to get from T5 to T1? I"m thinking a big NO.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I'd book it in a heartbeat.

With bad weather it will be a zoo as usual there anyway.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:50 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
OK, if you say so...
It just seems too little time to me, but I haven't traveled international to ORD, only domestic. The thought of doing customs, immigration, taking the shuttle to T1, going through security, then walking to the gate seems daunting for that much time.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I think the usual considerations apply. If his final US destination is XXX, is the itinerary CPH-ORD-XXX all on 1 ticket? If so, and as long as ORD-XXX is not the last flight of the day, I would not worry. If the CPH-ORD flight is late, he will be protected on a later flight to XXX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.