Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Chicago Shows 9/29-30

Chicago Shows 9/29-30

Old Sep 9, 2001, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Chicago Shows 9/29-30

A friend and I are meeting for a "guy's weekend" later this month in Chicago. Is there anything special going on that weekend? Which Blues clubs would you recommend OFF the tourist track? Thanks in advance for the help from the locals.
Old Sep 9, 2001, 8:04 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
OFF the track would be the Checkerboard Lounge. 43rd St, just E of State St. 43rd is named Muddy Waters Avenue. Look for the red/white checkerboard pattern on the outside of the building.

Somewhat on the track, but still good quality blues would be BLUES (about 2500 N Halsted (N of Fullerton Ave)). or Rosa's Lounge (~3200W.Armitage)

Buddy Guys is on the track, but still has good music.

Stay clear away from Kingston Mines. IMO, 20 years ago, this was THE spot for Blues, Valerie Wellington sang to me there w/out a microphone, she didn't need one. Now "the mines" is a crap venue. Had not been there for awhile, went back two years ago w/some out of town friends, a black midget in a cowboy hat was the main act, we quickly left and headed south to the Checkerboard.

Chicago has great jazz too!!!

For a sense of history and generally a great mix of a crowd, head north to the Green Mill on Broadway (~4800 North).

If downtown, the Jazz Showcase is my favorite. 59 W. Grand.

Would love to join you, any excuse to see good music, but it is my out of town guy's weekend motorcycle riding. Feel free to email me if you need additional info on lodging or eats.

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 09-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 09-09-2001).]
Old Sep 13, 2001, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Sweet Willie - thanks for the tips. Given the recent events I'm not sure if we'll still do the weekend gig or just come in for work on Monday morning.

Thanks again - runningshoes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.