Staying in Chicago area for 3 weeks this October

Staying in Chicago area for 3 weeks this October

Old Sep 27, 2021, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Pushed back until 10/24.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I’m assuming it will be within 20 miles of Markham. Hoping it’s not further out. Flying into MDW would be a whole lot better than ORD, and closer. I’ve been around, but never on business for three weeks straight, so this is new for me. Also, this will be the first away team for me with many more to come.
Travel has been arranged, flying into ORD as well as a car rental.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 7:23 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Travel has been arranged, flying into ORD as well as a car rental.
There is construction on I294 from O'Hare to 95th street, which is more than half of your drive to site. So you can count on heavy traffic if you are driving during the afternoon rush hour.
We are looking good for a first receive around the time you will be here. Dates should be confirmed today.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Putnik
There is construction on I294 from O'Hare to 95th street, which is more than half of your drive to site. So you can count on heavy traffic if you are driving during the afternoon rush hour.
We are looking good for a first receive around the time you will be here. Dates should be confirmed today.
Great news. Thanks for the heads up on the construction.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reason why I want to try deep disk pizza, is because I’ve never had, but my go to is thin crispy crust. There’s a place in Squirrel Hill, in Pittsburgh, Aiello's, which is my favorite. I always ask for extra thin and crispy. As for the Second City, and the Blues Brothers attractions, thank you.
I personally love Malnati's thin crust, it's one of my favorites. For deep dish, go Pequod's but Malnati's is also really good.

Now, if you're looking for stuffed pizza (which is essentially a casserole with tons of cheese) then Bacino's is my favorite (or was 20 years ago, the last time I had it) but Giordano's is everyone's go-to standby for stuffed and has many locations.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
We'll try to hold the snow off until you get here!
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Snuggs
Thanks. It’s not the snow, it’s the traffic, as I’m not used to driving in such a large city. Still, don’t have the hotel details. All I know it will be an extended-stay type of facility. My need for good coffee is paramount.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Considering we still have the a/c on I don't think that'll be a problem.

I miss New England autumn.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Thanks. It’s not the snow, it’s the traffic, as I’m not used to driving in such a large city. Still, don’t have the hotel details. All I know it will be an extended-stay type of facility. My need for good coffee is paramount.
The free coffee machines in break rooms are not yet running, not that they have good coffee, but it's there. There is a Dunkin Donuts about 5 minutes away. Nearest Starbucks, is about 12 minutes away.
CosmosHuman likes this.

Last edited by Putnik; Oct 13, 2021 at 8:25 pm
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:15 am

Once you trudge to the bus to RAC, and run the Tri-State (I-294) gauntlet, there’s not too much traffic out this way. Out here, even the Friday afternoon rush (e/b Tri-State) is manageable now that schools are back in session. Except of course, Wednesday day before Thanksgiving. And now that I’m thinking about it, I-80 is a hot mess through Joliet, with the impending collapse of the Des Plaines River bridge. But, that’s the great thing about smartphone gps apps.

Yes, the a/c was still on yesterday, but that’s probably done for the year. Next two weeks high 60s and maybe low 70s. But if you’re from CLE area, you know the drill. I only recall snow on or before Halloween twice.
CosmosHuman likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Considering we still have the a/c on I don't think that'll be a problem.

I miss New England autumn.
Amen. Back from Burlington (vt) 10 days ago. Colors just started at altitude. There’s a few substitutes near here: s/w Mi, Wisc, Central Ind.
CosmosHuman likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Launch pushed back again, flights/car rental changed. Looks like I’m flying out on Halloween. I still have the A/C on.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:29 pm

Once you trudge to the bus to RAC, and run the Tri-State (I-294) gauntlet, there’s not too much traffic out this way. Out here, even the Friday afternoon rush (e/b Tri-State) is manageable now that schools are back in session. Except of course, Wednesday day before Thanksgiving. And now that I’m thinking about it, I-80 is a hot mess through Joliet, with the impending collapse of the Des Plaines River bridge. But, that’s the great thing about smartphone gps apps.

Yes, the a/c was still on yesterday, but that’s probably done for the year. Next two weeks high 60s and maybe low 70s. But if you’re from CLE area, you know the drill. I only recall snow on or before Halloween twice.
Tri State is all under construction from the former O'Hare Oasis all the way to 95th. It's a mess going SB starting at about 2 pm every day. I80/294 is a mess every afternoon (including Saturdays) from just south of 159th street exit all the way into Indiana.

Launch pushed back again, flights/car rental changed. Looks like I’m flying out on Halloween. I still have the A/C on.
I am confident we will hit that date for First Receive.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 16, 2021 at 4:41 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Hope so, I’m stoked on flying out on Halloween. Hopefully no more delays as I really want to be home for Thanksgiving. I’m sure everyone else as well.

Tri State is all under construction from the former O'Hare Oasis all the way to 95th. It's a mess going SB starting at about 2 pm every day. I80/294 is a mess every afternoon (including Saturdays) from just south of 159th street exit all the way into Indiana.
Good grief.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 16, 2021 at 4:42 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:58 am

Good point. I was assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that he'll be working day shift. I was focusing on traffic after work and on weekends. If located at the Halstead exit hotels, taking the Tri-State E/B (S/B) back that way at 5pm could be a mistake.

I haven't had any problems e/b or w/b heading to O'hare off hours, but, during high traffic times, I'll leave from home (near Silver Cross) so I can use 355 to 88 or 55 to cut out some of the traffic. I used to live farther east, and recall the high frustration levels the last time the Tri-State went through one of these programs. I don't envy anyone forced to drive 294 the whole way. But, I guess it's better than Ryan/Kennedy combo!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.